Tomo

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
This August, Tomo played 5 matches, all at the Czech Open. He won them all and his first Open.

8-24 Gerassimenko, K (#135) rated 2006
8-25 Yoshimura, M (#31) rated 2446
8-26 Karlsson, K (#25) rated 2465
8-26 Calderano, H (#27) rated 2453
8-27 Boll, T (#7) rated 2793

Will these results be included in the September world rankings?

How much will he go up from his current #20 and 2495?

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
The list is already published. Harimoto made it to the 13th position!! You can see the full list here: https://tabletennisworldranking.com/

The most improved players of the month (info from: https://tabletennisworldranking.com?v=stats )

most_improved.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Does anyone have a serious analysis of Tomo's tactics, style, strengths, weaknesses, etc.? I'm quite sick of the shallow comments about yelling, fluke, teammate boosting, fake Japanese, etc. Tomo has serious skills. And they are developing quickly, as are his muscles, bones, nerves, and reactions. Personally, I worry that his reaction times and close table play will be neglected as he gets bigger. I hope he becomes the Royce Gracie of Table Tennis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
I think Tomo takes the ball early and attacks at the first chance he gets. What sets him apart to me is the angles he uses and the consistency that he hits both corners of the table with loop drives. In fact, he rarely uses anything but loop drives or short game. I don't tend to see him using soft, spinny loops much. I think this has to do with his close to the table style.

I feel like people say he plays quite flat, but I just think it's loop drives - still very spinny. Harimoto's got speed, spin, placement, and timing. Just fantastic.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
indeed he plays flatter than most players, but still those are loop drives. it would make sense that he would utilize flatter strokes because in that way kids can still match physically stronger opponents with the speed of their shots. both his short game and his close to the table playing style are built around this and many senior players are not used to this. the problem with flatter shots is that it's harder to be consistent with them, you have to get the timing and the angle of the stroke and bat perfect, but harimoto somehow seems to be so incredibly proficient at this that it works for him.

a lot of people have been saying since the dawn of the 40+ ball that the game will develop more around speed than spin, perhaps that also plays a role in harimoto's success. although even before the switch to 40+ ball i had a feeling that flatter drives and blocks were overlooked in modern table tennis for quite some time as they can prove to be an easy way out in certain situations, harimoto is a freak of nature to be able to utilize this so well.

Last edited: