What SP can you recommend me for my FH?

This user has no status.
Good day everyone,

I am currently looking for a new FH rubber (Short pimples)
I have been using DHS 802 2.00mm. its good, flat hits make any spin go dead.
I am looking for an SP that has a lot of reversal in it and is good for Flat hitting through spin

If you have other suggestions, please do put it down in the comments.

Greatly appreciated
Have a Great day!

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
Dear everyone
thanks for your reply
although the sp reversal rubber is quite rare
i have encountered such rubber when i played against an opponent from a different city
my only regret is i forgot to ask

Dr evil is a good sp rubber and great to kill any spin. i want to try it with a hard sponge
im going to check if there are available here in my country

If i can also ask, Any tip on how to train SP Forehand? im having a hard time checking out videos online. MOst of them are for Forehand drives/looping

Tia

Thanks for the suggestions

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Dear everyone
thanks for your reply
although the sp reversal rubber is quite rare
i have encountered such rubber when i played against an opponent from a different city
my only regret is i forgot to ask

Dr evil is a good sp rubber and great to kill any spin. i want to try it with a hard sponge
im going to check if there are available here in my country

If i can also ask, Any tip on how to train SP Forehand? im having a hard time checking out videos online. MOst of them are for Forehand drives/looping

Tia

Thanks for the suggestions

The SP with spin reserval you encountered might have been a 'treated' one. Direct sunlight and other methods can make a rubber frictionless. This is mainly used with long pips, because the bending pimples give you more control over the ball and reverse the spin at the same time. Some players do the same with SPs too...

Regarding training: I think training with short pips is pretty much the same as with inverted. Just replace the looping with hitting. But you should practice looping a little too, because it brings more variety to your game. Chopping is also important, from a long distance it's the only effective shot with SP.

Reactions: suds79
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Got to be honest amekun. You're heading down a road of flushing $$ down the drain and wasted time training.

You really should not want a reversive SP. For starters, it doesn't exists. Dr Evil is your best bet and you will find it's a just a very low grip SP. Sure if you chop block with it you'll get some reversal but you can chop-block with grippy rubbers also. it's just harder.

If you want to attack at all, you need grip on your FH. If you're planning to play defensively, that's fine. Put a long pip on your BH but you need at some point to be able to attack when the time comes in a point.

Take it from someone who spent many a years of playing a penhold short pip/long pip or inverted/long pip twiddle game. it's funny to trick people at first but it's only a matter of time before your club mates figure you out and it feels like you're playing with one arm behind your back.

You have to attack and beat them at the game. Can only trick someone for so long.

Now if you want a good attacking SP? Get something tuned and modern. I'd go TSP Super Spin Pips red in max. #speedmonster.

This user has no status.
Got to be honest amekun. You're heading down a road of flushing $$ down the drain and wasted time training.

You really should not want a reversive SP. For starters, it doesn't exists. Dr Evil is your best bet and you will find it's a just a very low grip SP. Sure if you chop block with it you'll get some reversal but you can chop-block with grippy rubbers also. it's just harder.

If you want to attack at all, you need grip on your FH. If you're planning to play defensively, that's fine. Put a long pip on your BH but you need at some point to be able to attack when the time comes in a point.

Take it from someone who spent many a years of playing a penhold short pip/long pip or inverted/long pip twiddle game. it's funny to trick people at first but it's only a matter of time before your club mates figure you out and it feels like you're playing with one arm behind your back.

You have to attack and beat them at the game. Can only trick someone for so long.

Now if you want a good attacking SP? Get something tuned and modern. I'd go TSP Super Spin Pips red in max. #speedmonster.

Dear Suds79

I see. I understand your point. ill follow what you advice and get an SP with a tad bit grip for the FH.
Should i go Hard or Soft Sponge?

Thank you for the Advice.

This user has no status.
The SP with spin reserval you encountered might have been a 'treated' one. Direct sunlight and other methods can make a rubber frictionless. This is mainly used with long pips, because the bending pimples give you more control over the ball and reverse the spin at the same time. Some players do the same with SPs too...

Regarding training: I think training with short pips is pretty much the same as with inverted. Just replace the looping with hitting. But you should practice looping a little too, because it brings more variety to your game. Chopping is also important, from a long distance it's the only effective shot with SP.

Dear ajtatosmano2
after hearing this, it turned me off in looking for an SP with reversal. Treating the topsheet is against the rules right?
Thanks for the advice. Ill keep looking for an SP.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Dear ajtatosmano2
after hearing this, it turned me off in looking for an SP with reversal. Treating the topsheet is against the rules right?
Thanks for the advice. Ill keep looking for an SP.

Yes, it's against the rules. It can't be helped. As you get better, you will learn how to deal with these frictionless rubbers, but on lower levels they can cause a mess. These rubbers had their own weaknesses, if you practice against them, you will be able to use these weaknesses.
I know a player, who plays with short pips on his BH, on a pretty high level. He does everything with SP: hit, loop, chop, even spinny pushes. But when he blocks, it can be an uncomfortable dead ball. Today I will play (or just meet) him, I will ask him what does he use.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
The closest thing that fits your requirements is Giant Dragon 612 Turbo. It is a weird SP. It actually gets some spin reversal.
I bought a sheet a long time ago for my BH. I got 1.8mm. I thought it was a little too fast for me. If GD 612 Turbo could be mastered on on the FH it would be difficult to play against. The problem is control. It isn't worth playing with a rubber that causes you to make a lot of unforced errors. I would consider the GD 612 ( non turbo ) if I could find it. I bought this rubber from ztabletennis but they have long since gone out of business.

This user has no status.
Yes, it's against the rules. It can't be helped. As you get better, you will learn how to deal with these frictionless rubbers, but on lower levels they can cause a mess. These rubbers had their own weaknesses, if you practice against them, you will be able to use these weaknesses.
I know a player, who plays with short pips on his BH, on a pretty high level. He does everything with SP: hit, loop, chop, even spinny pushes. But when he blocks, it can be an uncomfortable dead ball. Today I will play (or just meet) him, I will ask him what does he use.

Thanks mate i greatly appreciate it

This user has no status.
The closest thing that fits your requirements is Giant Dragon 612 Turbo. It is a weird SP. It actually gets some spin reversal.
I bought a sheet a long time ago for my BH. I got 1.8mm. I thought it was a little too fast for me. If GD 612 Turbo could be mastered on on the FH it would be difficult to play against. The problem is control. It isn't worth playing with a rubber that causes you to make a lot of unforced errors. I would consider the GD 612 ( non turbo ) if I could find it. I bought this rubber from ztabletennis but they have long since gone out of business.

i see ill look it up thanks mate

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I'll look it up

I hit with Stiga Royal. I liked it. Felt like a regular 802 (even though Royal has vertical pips) to me with a much higher quality sponge. It was nice though.

IMO the stock sponge on 802 & 802-40 is awful but I really like the topsheets.

I don't know where your level is but I would really recommend playing with something modern. Probably something tuned. I tried spectol Red which was stupid fast. Fastest SP I've ever hit with but hated Spectol. If you want a low grip SP (or classic, that's your rubber). 802 has more grip than that thing. IMO the faster you hit, the more spin you need to bring that ball down so I'd really consider superspin pips (better topsheet) Red which is the same sponge.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I hit with Stiga Royal. I liked it. Felt like a regular 802 (even though Royal has vertical pips) to me with a much higher quality sponge. It was nice though.

IMO the stock sponge on 802 & 802-40 is awful but I really like the topsheets.

I don't know where your level is but I would really recommend playing with something modern. Probably something tuned. I tried spectol Red which was stupid fast. Fastest SP I've ever hit with but hated Spectol. If you want a low grip SP (or classic, that's your rubber). 802 has more grip than that thing. IMO the faster you hit, the more spin you need to bring that ball down so I'd really consider superspin pips (better topsheet) Red which is the same sponge.

Yeah i agree the classics are good but the sponge sucks.
Ill look it up. thanks suds