1. Top | #1
      This user has no status.

TTD Member Country: Great Britain

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts

Question Boosting H3 NEO National

Hey!

So a very quick question which I hope will receive a quick response! Basically, I ordered two rubbers from PROTT (FH/BH H3 NEO National); these were the 'tuned' versions, but I'm not sure whether they need boosting straight out of the pack or whether I am able to use the pre tuned versions and then simply re-boost them at a later date

Also, as I understand it, with Chinese rubbers (when boosting) it's best to apply a layer of glue on the rubber and then boost...

Thank you very much!

2. Top | #2
      This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member Country: Hungary

Equipment:
      Blade LHS Offensive 3.2
      Forehand Rubber Donic Acuda S1
      Backhand Rubber Donic Acuda S1

Reviews
      Read 3 Reviews
      Liked 954 Times in 543 Posts
      Boost them. Nationals are the best rubbers to boost.

By the way, which booster is better for H3: Falco or Revolution XTreme?

3. Top | #3
      This user has no status.

Equipment Expert
      Master TTD Member Country: Philippines
      Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Feel AX; Stiga Nostalgia All+
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO Provincial
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Sigma II Pro; Stiga Mantra H

Reviews
      Read 71 Reviews
      Liked 1,192 Times in 746 Posts
      i have used both tuners and falco long seem to have more effect and lasts longer. the revolution tuner is a more gentle tuner.
      ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor at your service!

4. The Following User Likes yogi_bear's Post:

OhWell (09-08-2017)

5. Top | #4
      This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member Country: United States
      Equipment:
      Blade Donic Appelgren Allplay
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar MX-S
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar MX-S

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 249 Times in 152 Posts
      All the NEO rubbers - national, commercial, nittaku - are factory tuned. So the question of whether to add more booster arises for all of them.

Rare birds somehow like them as is with just the factory tuning. But most people much prefer all of them with 3+ layers of booster.

There are different methods for boosting them - some remove the factory tuning before boosting, some add glue after a first layer of boost, some add glue before putting any boost. With falco this method works well IMO:

6. The Following 2 Users Like OhWell's Post:

hills4ever (01-31-2018),ttmonster (09-08-2017)

7. Top | #5
      This user has no status.

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      In the absence of swift response I did some digging and, as it turns out, the factory 'tuning' layer is basically a loss in translation. About 1-2 years ago, a representative from DHS did a Q&A and stated that the tuning layer isn't booster but is in fact a layer of something similar to speed glue that would allow for someone to walk into a TT shop in China, buy the 'tuned' rubber and just slap it on the blade - boosting is still necessary.
      I also discovered that this tuning layer means that, unless the rubber has been used before (In my case, these rubbers are brand new) there is no need to apply a base layer of glue before boosting - in actual fact, anyone familiar with the concept of glue would assume that applying an extra layer of glue on top of the 'tuner' would mean that it's harder for the booster to seep into the sponge and do it's job. I am in the process of applying the Falco booster as we speak, I have done two middling layers ready for a slightly thicker layer on the FH rubber given it's degree but I will be putting a slightly thinner layer on the BH given that is only a 37 degree rubber. Regardless, thank you for your help!

8. Top | #6
      says Krooklyn District Goon Squad
      Commissioner

Equipment Expert
      Super Moderator Country: United States
      Equipment:
      Blade OSP Virtuoso +
      Forehand Rubber BH:Red F-XP
      Backhand Rubber FH:Black M-XP

Reviews
      Read 11 Reviews
      Liked 13,472 Times in 6,410 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by ajtatosmano2 View Post

I have heard that Haifu SeaMoon and Dianchi boosters are better than Falco for H3 and I have heard that Haifu Oil is better than either of those.
      Spin Everything.

9. The Following 4 Users Like UpSideDownCarl's Post:

bobpuls (09-11-2017),matzreenzi (01-31-2018),Suga D (09-08-2017),ttmonster (09-08-2017)

10. Top | #7
      This user has no status.

Established TTD Member Country: Malaysia

Reviews
      Read 3 Reviews
      Liked 42 Times in 26 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by UpSideDownCarl View Post
      I have heard that Haifu SeaMoon and Dianchi boosters are better than Falco for H3 and I have heard that Haifu Oil is better than either of those.
      I agree that Haifu SeaMoon is better for H3 than FalcoTLB in every aspect except Falco have longer effect obviously. Never tried Haifu oil though.
      Last edited by matzreenzi; 09-08-2017 at 10:46 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Like matzreenzi's Post:

bobpuls (09-11-2017),UpSideDownCarl (09-08-2017)

12. Top | #8
      This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member Country: United States
      Equipment:
      Blade Donic Appelgren Allplay
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar MX-S
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar MX-S

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 249 Times in 152 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by MaLongSenpai View Post
      In the absence of swift response I did some digging and, as it turns out, the factory 'tuning' layer is basically a loss in translation. About 1-2 years ago, a representative from DHS did a Q&A and stated that the tuning layer isn't booster but is in fact a layer of something similar to speed glue that would allow for someone to walk into a TT shop in China, buy the 'tuned' rubber and just slap it on the blade - boosting is still necessary.
      I also discovered that this tuning layer means that, unless the rubber has been used before (In my case, these rubbers are brand new) there is no need to apply a base layer of glue before boosting - in actual fact, anyone familiar with the concept of glue would assume that applying an extra layer of glue on top of the 'tuner' would mean that it's harder for the booster to seep into the sponge and do it's job. I am in the process of applying the Falco booster as we speak, I have done two middling layers ready for a slightly thicker layer on the FH rubber given it's degree but I will be putting a slightly thinner layer on the BH given that is only a 37 degree rubber. Regardless, thank you for your help!
      - Making it harder for the booster to do its work isn't a mistake: that also makes it harder the booster to damage rubber, especially the bond between the topsheet and the sponge.

- About whether the tuning layer is booster, speed glue like, etc. Boosters aren't (normally) adhesives. The tuning layer is adhesive. So saying that the tuning layer is booster would be inaccurate. It's also not just glue: you say yourself that it has a "speed glue" like effect.

Speed glue is glue that also adds spin and speed to the rubber's performance. Booster does the latter without itself being adhesive. The semantic problem of what to call the factory applied layer on the neo, something that isn't has adhesive and boosting properties without being speed glue, isn't a very enticing rabbit hole. That's why there's no agreed upon term for whatever is in that layer. We could call it adhesive with boosting effect that isn't speed glue but that doesn't roll off the tongue..

If you are interested, this article does a nice job of explaining much of what these substances do to the sponge: https://thoughtsontabletennis.wordpr...nis-chemistry/

13. The Following User Likes OhWell's Post:

Suga D (09-08-2017)

14. Top | #9
      This user has no status.

TTD Member Country: Indonesia

Equipment:
      Blade Sword Blue Feather
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO
      Backhand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3.50

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 22 Times in 19 Posts
      I always use haifu seamoon on my h3 commercial, best effect for me better than speed glue. I used to use speed glue on my h3.

But the problem with seamoon is your h3 rubber will be tear apart after 1 or 2 months especially the sponge. You will almost unable to reglue it when the effect of the booster has gone and that means you have to buy another one.

Thats why I only use h3 commercial

Sent from Nokia 3310

15. Top | #10
      This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member Country: New Zealand
      Equipment:
      Blade DHS Hurricane Long 5
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 (Provincial)
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar Hybrid K1

Reviews
      Read 2 Reviews
      Liked 653 Times in 388 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by fxri View Post
      I always use haifu seamoon on my h3 commercial, best effect for me better than speed glue. I used to use speed glue on my h3.

But the problem with seamoon is your h3 rubber will be tear apart after 1 or 2 months especially the sponge. You will almost unable to reglue it when the effect of the booster has gone and that means you have to buy another one.

Thats why I only use h3 commercial

Sent from Nokia 3310
      My national H3 with 4 layers o seamoon still looks 70% new after a year of play.

Probably that's why national is more expensive.

Passionate about TT

16. The Following User Likes SFF_lib's Post:

Suga D (09-08-2017)

17. Top | #11
      This user has no status.

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 2 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by ajtatosmano2 View Post

Haifu Seamoon the best. Specifically designed for Chinese rubbers.

Passionate about TT

18. Top | #12
      This user has no status.

TTD Member Country: Indonesia

Equipment:
      Blade Sword Blue Feather
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO
      Backhand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3.50

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 22 Times in 19 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by SFF_lib View Post
      My national H3 with 4 layers o seamoon still looks 70% new after a year of play.

Probably that's why national is more expensive.

Passionate about TT
      wow thats good for you, but one of my friend use h3 national blue sponge and he has the same experience as me after boosting his h3n

Sent from Nokia 3310

19. Top | #13
      This user has no status.

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by OhWell View Post
      - Making it harder for the booster to do its work isn't a mistake: that also makes it harder the booster to damage rubber, especially the bond between the topsheet and the sponge.

- About whether the tuning layer is booster, speed glue like, etc. Boosters aren't (normally) adhesives. The tuning layer is adhesive. So saying that the tuning layer is booster would be inaccurate. It's also not just glue: you say yourself that it has a "speed glue" like effect.

Speed glue is glue that also adds spin and speed to the rubber's performance. Booster does the latter without itself being adhesive. The semantic problem of what to call the factory applied layer on the neo, something that isn't has adhesive and boosting properties without being speed glue, isn't a very enticing rabbit hole. That's why there's no agreed upon term for whatever is in that layer. We could call it adhesive with boosting effect that isn't speed glue but that doesn't roll off the tongue..

If you are interested, this article does a nice job of explaining much of what these substances do to the sponge: https://thoughtsontabletennis.wordpr...nis-chemistry/
      I wouldn't describe putting a layer of glue on prior to boosting as a mistake and I'm sure in almost all cases outside of H3 NEO National, this applies; however, the DHS rep. stated that there wasn't a need to apply an additional layer of glue for the purposes of boost and when you combine the layer of 'tuner' (It's an adhesive that provides additional spin, control and power QED 'speed glue'...) with an additional layer of WBG then I do believe there would be a difference in how the rubber plays.

20. Top | #14
      This user has no status.

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by SFF_lib View Post
      Haifu Seamoon the best. Specifically designed for Chinese rubbers.

Passionate about TT
      Haifu SeaMoon isn't actually specifically designed for Chinese rubbers, it's just a Chinese booster that was made to be used in China (and given that everyone uses H3...you see where I'm going with this). I will refer you to my earlier statement about the fact that all boosters have varying effects of the rubbers, no one is the same and to replicate the feel and power of a rubber that has been heavily boosted with Haifu oil (not seamoon, I'm talking about the REAL shit) FLB was the best choice, but for the majority of players who don't have a photo of Ma Long in their downstairs toilet, Haifu SeaMoon is probably a good middle ground for use with Euro and Chinese rubbers.

21. The Following User Likes MaLongSenpai's Post:

Suga D (09-08-2017)

22. Top | #15
      says really love hearing Adam
      commenting but don´t
      appreciate he (probably
      unwanted) gives the word
      Dictator a positive meaning.
      There is nothing positive
      about Dictators. PERIOD!

Master TTD Member Country: Europe
      Equipment:
      Blade Nittaku Killton
      Forehand Rubber BH BTY Tenergy05
      Backhand Rubber FH DHS Hurricane 3 Neo

Reviews
      Read 5 Reviews
      Liked 3,888 Times in 2,001 Posts
      Carl is right.
      Falco is good
      Seamoon is better.
      Haifu Black Oil is the Killer!!!
      The sheezy ma neezy!!
      Tha shankle ma nankle!!
      Here's what i'm talking 'bout

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20170716-WA0001.jpg 
Views:	702 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	14165
      Instrument of choice:
      Blade: Afrobro´s custom made handcrafted 5ply Hinoki
      FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
      Provincial Blue Sponge

BH: BTY Tenergy 05

Backup instrument:
      Blade: Nittaku Combi Wood Attack
      FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
      National Blue Sponge
      BH: BTY Tenergy 05

Backspin for Backspin even while I'm rappin' (Lord Doitall - Lords of the Underground)

糖 迪
      :-)

23. The Following 3 Users Like Suga D's Post:

mr. tom (01-31-2018),OhWell (09-08-2017),UpSideDownCarl (09-08-2017)

24. Top | #16
      This user has no status.

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by UpSideDownCarl View Post

Haifu oil, the actual stuff (it's referred to as Haifu 'National' oil) is basically the equivalent of ducks teeth. If you live in the UK you can basically just resign yourself to the fact that you CANNOT obtain this oil. Dianchi is a common oil, but compared to SeaMoon it has a low viscosity. It's this Haifu oil that the CNT use and it's a good deal thicker than SeaMoon and a lot thicker than Dianchi. As a result, (I considered quite literally every booster available to me) I went with FLB; not only because the results mirror these Chinese oils but also because, after some pretty extensive digging across multiple forums, it became apparent that (and this is from the words of Chinese players themselves) unless you can get the OG Haifu oil then FLB is the best as it's in the middle ground in terms of viscosity and can replicate the feel and spin of a rubber boosted by a CNT player, especially on National rubbers which apparently respond better to FLB than Dianchi, which (again, according to the information I collated) is because Dianchi (due to low viscosity) is better used on European rubbers with a softer sponge (that's not to say it can't be used on H3, but apparently FLB yields better results). Naturally, it's what the individual player prefers to use more than anything else and given my goal was to replicate

TL;DR If you have a bottle of OG Haifu...I am ****ing coming for you.

25. The Following User Likes MaLongSenpai's Post:

Suga D (01-30-2018)

26. Top | #17
      This user has no status.

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by Suga D View Post
      Carl is right.
      Falco is good
      Seamoon is better.
      The sheezy ma neezy!!
      Tha shankle ma nankle!!

Damn straight but there is no way I will be making the effort to try and get some of that any time soon but I'd love to know where you got that, I understand the only place to get it reliably is physically in China or Hong Kong.
      As for general use, despite my comments regarding viscosity (which, when boosting provincial and especially commercial is a huge plus as it gets the rubber much closer to the consistency of a boosted national rubber) SeaMoon is probably the most readily available and the easiest to use. I did consider going for SeaMoon oil and I liked what I heard but it wouldn't provide the experience I was looking for from my booster (re: earlier comments regarding my desire to replicate the feeling of a processional tier rubber which is why I bought National in the first place).

27. The Following User Likes MaLongSenpai's Post:

Suga D (01-30-2018)

28. Top | #18
      says Krooklyn District Goon Squad
      Commissioner

Equipment Expert
      Super Moderator Country: United States
      Equipment:
      Blade OSP Virtuoso +
      Forehand Rubber BH:Red F-XP
      Backhand Rubber FH:Black M-XP

Reviews
      Read 11 Reviews
      Liked 13,472 Times in 6,410 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Suga D View Post
      Carl is right.
      Falco is good
      Seamoon is better.
      The sheezy ma neezy!!
      Tha shankle ma nankle!!

That is a thing of beauty.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

29. The Following 2 Users Like UpSideDownCarl's Post:

OhWell (09-08-2017),Suga D (09-08-2017)

30. Top | #19
      This user has no status.

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 2 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by MaLongSenpai View Post
      Before putting applying booster, leave the rubber to air dry for like a day. Once the glue layer is dry, the sponge will react to booster better.

The other thing to take into account is the sponge hardness and your blade.

For example, if you put a 41 Neo H3N on a soft Stiga OC, i would suggest against any boosting as boosting will soften the sponge making the setup too soft.

But if you put the same 41 H3N on a fast carbon blade, I would suggest at least three layers of booster.

And if your FH H3N is 39 degree, you probably just want to put a single layer of booster.

Just some examples.

Passionate about TT

31. Top | #20
      This user has no status.

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      After taking the rubber out of the pavket which wasn't what I was expecting at all by the way, I did wait for the super sticky glue layer to dry for about 2/3 hours and it seemed fine, it wasnt sticky at all

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast