Martial Arts & TT

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2021

Sorry for bumping such an old thread but I have never thought about such a comparison. I agree with some opinions in this thread. I also see that the general techniques in Jiu-Jitsu are similar to general TT techniques. Maybe, I play in such a manner. I wonder if I put on my BJJ GI, could I play better?:) But I think that Asian players are good at table tennis not only because they are good at martial arts. They have a high coaching level as well as enough competitions to boost their skills and gain more experience in TT. I think it is the main reason why they have an edge in table tennis.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2020
To me the obvious connection is to make with boxing: exact same footwork, same uppercut/loopkill swing, same reflexes needed for blocking opponents shots, training is about the same with jump rope skills and footwork ghost practice. I had a clubmate 30 years ago who was also boxing, maaan... I was facing Muhamad Ali literaly ! the guy was cloudwalking like a butterfly, a joy to watch him play, he was rated french old 35, meant 1600 FFTT today, and now he plays in Belgium and he's rated even more as a B4 = 1900 FFTT = 2400 USATT. The purest fluid footwork I've ever witnessed. For our belgian friends out there go see Tony Couture playing for JS Gonrieux near Couvin (Namur Province).

Last edited:
Reactions: langel
says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
How many of you have practiced, or do practice Martial Arts?
And if you have, do you find yourself sometimes unconsciously using MA techniques - legs and body position, blocking and hitting moves etc?
Do you find that helpfull?

I was a Kyokushin fighter in my youth, my son was a Shotokan fighter - double National champion in Free Fighting /and twice disqualifyed in Kyokushin/ and when we play TT we often find ourselfs like using some parts of Martial Arts techniques.

Do you think that Asian TT players may be so good because of the reason that Martial Arts are very popular in their schools?

Martial arts uses the core to generate the power required to executed flawless technique.

TT uses the core ( waist ) to generate the power required to topspin for a winner.

Coincidence?

Reactions: langel