Five Arylate Carbon Blades - Which one would you choose and why?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
The Fang Bo 1 is not a composite blade, so not on this list.

The Stradivarius is a composite, with the carbon layer directly beneath the outer ply (koto). It is a clone of the Viscaria family. Although I am a big fan of Xiom, I find the Strad a little anaemic and I would recommend the Zetro Quad in this price range. If you want to go for an outer ALC, I have also a Donic Baum Esprit, which I think is a more succesful version of the classic Butterfly clones, and can be found at a very good price ATM.

The Fang Bo 2 (AKA Fang Bo Hurricane 2, Hurricane Bo 2, etc) is an ALC blade, a direct descendant of the W997/W968/HL5 series. Prior to getting his"own" blade, Fang Bo used one of the "ancestor" blades, complete with picture of Ma Long in the handle. All of these have Limba outers, with ayous and ALC in "inner" configuration.

The H301 is similar, but with koto outer, like the N301.

I have both the FB2 and the H301, and the differences are subtle, but the H301 is slightly harder, and I prefer the feel and control of the FB2. (The H301 has a slightly thicker handle, which I prefer; I use grip tape on the FB2. Neither are as thick as the HL3 handle, which is the equivalent of the Stiga Master). Using H3 rubber. These differences are not such that I would necessarily rank them the same way with different rubbers, but they are both pretty darn good blades for the price.

I am waiting for a PG5, which is the PG series, lower cost, version of the limba outer ALC blade. I expect it will be slower than the FB2 and the H301, but should make a reasonable option for youngsters and friends.

Last edited:
Reactions: sarvo4u

MJB

This user has no status.

MJB

This user has no status.
May 2012
There's currently a FANG BO B2 blade on eBAY for £3.20 with a few days to go. Might be able to get it for a low-ish price. No, it's not my listing!

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I would choose the one that fit my game.

Brilliant

Personal preference.. i would pick the one that would fit my needs in the game

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Excellent!
Short and precise. Both of you.
I wonder why these two marvellous posts got burried.

The point is to get what is beneficial to your game. So that should be the main deciding factor.

So if your game is solid and you don't make a lot mistakes on the first three balls then a composite blade may be useful, but to me composite material is most beneficial when playing far from the table. But if your not forced to do that, then there is not much sense in using composite material IMHO.
It just numbs the feel and helps make mistakes.
There's not very much an allwood can't do what a composite can while at the table.
Anyhow, it's a different thing if your games is solid.

Hence i value the two quoted posts so much. Thanks Giang and Raj. Goodie

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Brilliant

Excellent!
Short and precise. Both of you.
I wonder why these two marvellous posts got burried.

The point is to get what is beneficial to your game. So that should be the main deciding factor.

So if your game is solid and you don't make a lot mistakes on the first three balls then a composite blade may be useful, but to me composite material is most beneficial when playing far from the table. But if your not forced to do that, then there is not much sense in using composite material IMHO.
It just numbs the feel and helps make mistakes.
There's not very much an allwood can't do what a composite can while at the table.
Anyhow, it's a different thing if your games is solid.

Hence i value the two quoted posts so much. Thanks Giang and Raj. Goodie

While I agree with most you said I think there are some huge advantages with composite even if you are not playing close to the table: My blocks are A LOT better with ALC blades because of the better sweet spot. :)

Reactions: sarvo4u