Guo Yue Interview - Professional Player (World Rank 1)

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
TableTennisDaily exclusive interview with a TT professional! (Hours to make, seconds to comment)

This is our first ever interview with a Chinese National Team member! The star we have is Stiga's Guo Yue, former world number 1 in Janurary 2008. Guo Yue is a world class table tennis player! Her biggest achievement to date is winning the World Table Tennis Championships in 2007!

However Guo Yue did not have things easy. Guo experienced a series of losses in international games which led to her disappearance from the public eye for almost half a year.It is officially claimed "To help her mentally adjust". At the 2006 Asian Games in Doha, Guo returned to competition and took first place in Women's Singles, Women's Doubles and Women's Team. In 2007 from January to July, Guo attended six International Opens and won four gold medals. At the selection match for 2007 World Table Tennis Championships in Zagreb, Guo qualified early on.

Guo Yue won the 2007 World Championships by defeating her compatriot Li Xiaoxia in the women's singles final. She also won the mixed doubles title with Wang Liqin.

P200905031109492744886542.jpg

Photo by: Xinhua/Xu Jiajun

Full Name: Guo Yue

Date Of Birth: 17/07/1988

Height: 1.61m (5ft 3 in)

Weight: 48kg (110 lb, 7.6 st)

Playing Style: Left handed, shakehand grip

Highest World Ranking: 1 (January 2008)

Equipment – Stiga

Short and sweet Interview:
due to the time contraints and translations with Guo Yue.

Guo Yue, TableTennisDaily members would like to know if you believe the Europeans have any chance in catching up with the Chinese dominance? Or is it an impossible task?
In the future it is possible as anything is. But right now it's not realistic. In Europe there can always be one good player but then they need to have very good practice everyday which is hard to find. However in China we practice with the best players 7 hours a day. It is the best practice you can find in the world.

Do you use the internet to watch matches of yourself to look for weaknesses.
It happens sometime but not often. We often look on our matches afterwards with our coach to make analysis.

We have seen an interview on CNTV of some Chinese athletes such as Wang Hao analysising Timo Boll in a classroom. Is this an often analysis in your training regime before compeitions?
Yes it sure is, we use both video's and notes before big tournaments. Then we always watch videos of the opponents we are going to play. It can take up to 30-60 minutes depending on who I am up against.

Thanks very much for your time Guo Yue. Good luck in the Swedish Open this week!

We at TableTennisDaily have managed to get this short interview with Guo Yue as STIGA superstar Guo Yue arrived in Stockholm for STIGA's photoshoot. Guo Yuo spent a day with the Stiga team and now she will prepare for this weeks Swedish Open 2011. STIGA have quoted (http://www.facebook.com/stigatabletennis) that the Chinese National Team has just decided to have a training camp in Eskilstuna (the city in Sweden where STIGA Sports is located) from the 24th to 31st of October.

The Chinese Team will at the same time visit STIGA Sports in order to discuss our successful and long term cooperation.

The following coach and players will visit Eskilstuna and STIGA Sports:

Liu Guoliang (head coach)
Ma Long (world No. 1)
Wang Hao (world No. 2)
Ma Lin (world No. 5)
Zhang Yike (world No. 3)

4444_guo_yue.jpg

We will follow them every day with photos, videos and much more. So follow us on our facebook channel to keep up to date http://www.facebook.com/stigatabletennis

Guo Yue away from the Table Tennis Table :)

U397P249T3D12735F37DT20040614172845.jpg

U397P249T3D47711F37DT20040802114220.jpg

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Awesome that u got to interview a Chinese team member! Hope there will be more in the future :D Great pics as well haha ;)

Lets hope so WiWa. I have something secret lined up.. I hope it pulls off! :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Great interview!!! I agree with her, for now it is almost impossible for Europeans players to win if Chinese players playing at the same tournament.

Yeah you are right. The problem lies in the depth of the Chinese pro's. If we had 10 Timo Bolls then competition would be harder for Asia and we may see a different outcome. But as Guo Yue says.. Europe just doesn't have the facilities and training that they have.

The Werner Schlager is an advancement to Europe and its a stepping stone, but lets not forget, in China they have 30 WSAcademy's

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Heheh yea Dan where is Timo? ;) don't you forget our arrangement sunbeam haha :p nice work with Yue though World Class!

Haha thanks bro! Yeh no worries Boll will be on the way i promise :)

I will make the forfeit soon hehe

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Good information. And as she says, the Chinese have the best players in the world to train with and they train 7 hours a day. I have been told they have people who specialize in imitating the play styles of non-Chinese players so that the team can have practice playing a style that might give them problems. And there is no question, if you are training with a player who is at the level of the players on the Chinese team you will get better faster than if you were training with someone who is not as good. But I also think their coaches are top notch. To get a situation like what you have in China, I think that all the European countries would have to train together collectively and they would also have to train intelligently.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Carl is absolutely right, the number of pros in China is probably the same with the entire of Europe. Bigger pool of players means more varieties.. Also in China some of them train old school, and the coaches are a lot more strict. I used to get knock on the head many times coz I wasn't following instructions.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Good information. And as she says, the Chinese have the best players in the world to train with and they train 7 hours a day. I have been told they have people who specialize in imitating the play styles of non-Chinese players so that the team can have practice playing a style that might give them problems.

Wang Jianjun is one of them who imitate RSM play style. I'm believe Kong linghui is also kind of the product that China try to learn the play style of Waldner, Persson and the other great european players.

Actually I'm not sure how many european players start to play TT during their early age like Timo. Because most of the Chinese begin to train TT during 7-9 in formally. Therefore, with the coach in early stage, it help them to easily sustain the proper basic style. But if many european does not get a formal training like...until high school or so, this may one of the reason that cause the european to lag behind. But fortunately we have WS Academy now.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Wang Jianjun is one of them who imitate RSM play style. I'm believe Kong linghui is also kind of the product that China try to learn the play style of Waldner, Persson and the other great european players.

Actually I'm not sure how many european players start to play TT during their early age like Timo. Because most of the Chinese begin to train TT during 7-9 in formally. Therefore, with the coach in early stage, it help them to easily sustain the proper basic style. But if many european does not get a formal training like...until high school or so, this may one of the reason that cause the european to lag behind. But fortunately we have WS Academy now.

I agree with everything you are saying. I also notice that the junior Chinese players, if you look at the world rankings are sort of ahead of everyone else but not too badly. But then between the ages of 17-21 something happens where it seems like the Chinese prodigies, who they are grooming to be on the team, continue to progress and improve at a dramatically faster rate than players from other countries.

It makes me wonder what would happen if a player like Timo Boll or Jun Mizutani had that kind of built in support and training when they hit that age. Those guys are amazingly talented but neither of them have the kind of serve and attack skills or the mid-distance looping abilities of the top Chinese players. It will also be interesting to see what happens with a player like Koki Niwa who obviously has an outrageous amount of talent.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I agree with everything you are saying. I also notice that the junior Chinese players, if you look at the world rankings are sort of ahead of everyone else but not too badly. But then between the ages of 17-21 something happens where it seems like the Chinese prodigies, who they are grooming to be on the team, continue to progress and improve at a dramatically faster rate than players from other countries.

It makes me wonder what would happen if a player like Timo Boll or Jun Mizutani had that kind of built in support and training when they hit that age. Those guys are amazingly talented but neither of them have the kind of serve and attack skills or the mid-distance looping abilities of the top Chinese players. It will also be interesting to see what happens with a player like Koki Niwa who obviously has an outrageous amount of talent.

yeah it is definitely an interesting question to consider. Just how good some of the non-Chinese players would be if they had the chance to receive Chinese level training from the start. Boll in particular actually was quite incredible in terms of how good he was when he initially appeared. He stood out at the age of 18 better than almost any non-Chinese player I think. Mizutani has done well, but Boll when he was 18 or so seemed to be much of a bigger threat to the Chinese than Mizutani was at 18 or is now.

Perhaps the new generation of Korean players will be able to rise up and play pretty competitively against the Chinese. They at least have a solid group of 3-5 players who all are young and show a great deal of promise, usually beating all but the Chinese players and Boll and Mizutani, and sometimes even beating some of them. Using that core group, may make their improvement in the game easier since they get to practice amongst themselves.