Asian Cup 2017

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Results from Day 3 (Sun 17 September):

Men's Singles:

Positions 7-8:
Koki Niwa 3:4 Chuang Chih-Yuan (11:8, 11:4, 11:6, 8:11, 5:11, 10:12, 8:11)

Positions 5-6:
Jeong Sangeun 1:4 Jun Mizutani (11:9, 9:11, 7:11, 8:11, 9:11)

Positions 3-4:
Chen Chien-An 1:4 Lee Sangsu (7:11, 7:11, 12:10, 3:11, 10:12)

Final:
Lin Gaoyuan 4:2 Fan Zhendong (11:7, 7:11, 11:4, 9:11, 11:5, 11:5)

Final Standings:
1) Lin Gaoyuan (CHN)
2) Fan Zhendong (CHN)
3) Lee Sangsu (KOR)
4) Chen Chien-An (TPE)
5) Jun Mizutani (JPN)
6) Jeong Sangeun (KOR)
7) Chuang Chih-Yuan (TPE)
8) Koki Niwa (JPN)

2017 Asian Cup - MS medalists.jpg

Women's Singles:

Positions 7-8:
Cheng I-Ching 1:4 Doo Hoi Kem (13:15, 12:10, 8:11, 8:11, 4:11)

Positions 5-6:
Chen Szu-Yu 4:2 Suh Hyowon (11:5, 11:6, 9:11, 9:11, 11:8, 11:6)

Positions 3-4:
Miu Hirano 3:4 Kasumi Ishikawa (11:9, 11:7, 9:11, 8:11, 3:11, 11:9, 8:11)

Final:
Zhu Yuling 4:3 Liu Shiwen (6:11, 11:9, 11:8, 10:12, 11:7, 11:13, 11:6)

Final Standings:
1) Zhu Yuling (CHN)
2) Liu Shiwen (CHN)
3) Kasumi Ishikawa (JPN)
4) Miu Hirano (JPN)
5) Chen Szu-Yu (TPE)
6) Suh Hyowon (KOR)
7) Doo Hoi Kem (HKG)
8) Cheng I-Ching (TPE)

2017 Asian Cup - WS medalists.jpg
Photos courtesy of: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ittfworld

Last edited:
says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
China wants a new face in the world cup, that could be why Lin won. China can have the power fix the result. They do that often

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Fzd is too one-dimensional and Lin is a smart player who capitalize on this.

Saw Hirano vs Kasumi for 3rd place which Hirano lost. Both FZD and Hirano have only one plan - attack the ball off the bounce . Once opponents find a way into their games they have no plan B and no creativity to do something out of the box.

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Saw Hirano vs Kasumi for 3rd place which Hirano lost. Both FZD and Hirano have only one plan - attack the ball off the bounce . Once opponents find a way into their games they have no plan B and no creativity to do something out of the box.

Considering the win-loss ratio of Fan Zhendong over the last few years, this may not be QUITE as easy as you make it seem? ;-)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Considering the win-loss ratio of Fan Zhendong over the last few years, this may not be QUITE as easy as you make it seem? ;-)

You are right :) FZD is amazing. May be almost unbeatable outside CNT. His force is overwhelming for most people (Lee Sangsu can tell us about that ). But honestly I feel his losses against ML in most of the finals is due to the fact that he becomes uni dimensional at times. But that is part of his learning curve. ML too went through the same phase before he became the bad ass that he is today.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
[English/Full HD] (live stream version, the first 4 points are missing)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
You are right :) FZD is amazing. May be almost unbeatable outside CNT. His force is overwhelming for most people (Lee Sangsu can tell us about that ). But honestly I feel his losses against ML in most of the finals is due to the fact that he becomes uni dimensional at times. But that is part of his learning curve. ML too went through the same phase before he became the bad ass that he is today.

I pretty much agree with that. But in this case, it might also just be that he was still tired after playing an absurd amount of matches at the recent Chinese National Games. Also, I sometimes get a sense that the main goal for the Chinese players at "minor" events such as this is not to lose against any non-Chinese? So in a final like this (against one of their teammates), the players might not fight as hard as they would at the "major" tournaments?

And speaking of one-dimensional play and creativity/variations, I noticed that Fan at times changed his usual service position to serve from the forehand side. He might have done this before, but not much - at least as far as I can remember?

Could be a sign that he's working on adding more variations to his game? :confused:

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Yes Fzd plays a big amount of tt minutes but he's only 20 years old and a world class athlete. When you're 20 you recharge very fast normally and to be trained as well as Fzd is I don't believe it's an issue.

Lin has caused problems for many great players, ML as well, so I don't think it's a coincidence that he won this final.

Lin's bh off the bounce is simply insane, a true weapon for the future opponents to look out for.

Yes, Fzd changed his serve position because Lin is left handed and wanted to change things up.

And about whether Fzd use a Viscaria or not - I think this match once and for all settles that issue: 100% Viscaria. Listen to the sounds of both players when they crack those egg shells, both blades sound identical. More so - you can't get that sound from an all wood blade.

I pretty much agree with that. But in this case, it might also just be that he was still tired after playing an absurd amount of matches at the recent Chinese National Games. Also, I sometimes get a sense that the main goal for the Chinese players at "minor" events such as this is not to lose against any non-Chinese? So in a final like this (against one of their teammates), the players might not fight as hard as they would at the "major" tournaments?

And speaking of one-dimensional play and creativity/variations, I noticed that Fan at times changed his usual service position to serve from the forehand side. He might have done this before, but not much - at least as far as I can remember?

Could be a sign that he's working on adding more variations to his game? :confused:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
I just saw that FZD lost to CCA in the group stage. I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but this is FZD's first loss to a non-Chinese player in 3 YEARS (last loss was to Chen Feng and Li Hu at Asian Games 2014). Not sure, but this might be the 2nd longest such streak ever, after Ma Long's streak of 4.5 years which ended this year (World Cup 2012 group stage to Asian Championships 2017).
Crazy stuff.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
LCY is a very good TT player. He almost (and should have beaten) beat XX in game 7 after leading 10-5 during the Olympics. He needs to develop mental toughness and FZD does, too. They both are still very young now and in couple years will be mature and strong both in skill and mentally. Not sure how the world can handle these Chinese alter ML and XX.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
# Men's Singles - 3rd place/bronze [Full HD/Chinese]
(*) 1st and 2nd set are not transmitted from CCTV-5

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
# Women's Singles - 3rd place/bronze [Full HD/Chinese]
(*) sets 4, 5, 6, 7 (1-3 not transmitted from cctv-5)