DHS Hurricane Long V - Alternatives? -

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Hi there,
are any alternatives to DHS Hurricane Long V out there?
What I found so far:

DHS Fang Bo ALC (B2) -> slightly stiffer
DHS Hurricane 301 -> other top ply (Koto instead of Limba)
Friendship/729 V-6 (seems to have huge weight differences, so not good predictable what kind of blade you get)

Maybe the Viscaria? I know, it is not cheap, but I can get it easy here...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
From what I've read, Fang Bo Carbon (B2) is probably the best alternative if you want to save money.

But if you are considering a Viscaria, you can take a look at Innerforce ALC since the ALC layer is closer to the core as Long V (tough Viscaria [for sure] and Innerforce ALC have koto outer if I'm not mistaken)

DHS PG7 is supposed to be a good budget alternative.

PG7 is a allwood blade, maybe you meant PG5.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hi there,
are any alternatives to DHS Hurricane Long V out there?
What I found so far:

DHS Fang Bo ALC (B2) -> slightly stiffer
DHS Hurricane 301 -> other top ply (Koto instead of Limba)
Friendship/729 V-6 (seems to have huge weight differences, so not good predictable what kind of blade you get)

Maybe the Viscaria? I know, it is not cheap, but I can get it easy here...

If you're looking for something that is as similar as a Hurricane Long V as possible then there is absolutely no question: it's gotta be the Fang Bo 2. However, something you should bear in mind with both the Long V and the Fang Bo is that they require a certain play style and, especially in the case of the Long V, the blade itself has a skill ceiling i.e. the better you improve personally, the better the results will be when using this blade. The same can be said for the Fang Bo but less so as the blade itself is quite stiff and actually uses Koto as the outer and not Limba.

If money isn't a concern then I would suggest something like the Butterfly Viscaria but perhaps consider the Marcos Freitas, it's a random addition but I get the impression something like this would benefit you. However, out of the blades you have discussed pairing a Viscaria with a H3 FH and something like T05 or T64 (T80 is probably asking a bit too much) would be a good fit for the Long V. I personally own this blade and use H3 National (Blue Sponge) on FH (40 degree) and H3 National (Orange Sponge) on BH (37 degree). As a side note, I assumed that you aren't familiar with Chinese rubbers so I would suggest, especially if you get a Long 5, to go for something like 39/40 degree on the FH (Ma Long himself used 41.5 degree Blue Sponge - anyone with 2 braincells to rub together can tell you that unless you're literally Ma Long himself, you shouldn't play at this degree of rubber). These rubbers also need to be boosted, but that's easily done as long as you're careful (spoken by a man who has found this out the very, very hard way).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Why T80 is aking too much, more than T64?

T80 is a very fast rubber, especially for BH (despite a lot of European players using it as BH rubber at the moment). It might not be a good decision for the OP to use this rubber for BH given that it's speed is very fast and, as such, requires a higher level of 'ability' to be used to proper effect. It isn't mean as an insult, it's just common sense that the rubber a professional player uses is perhaps not the best choice for an amateur player.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
FH rubber will be a Skyline TG3 Neo, 39 deg, and slightly boosted.

In which case I would say with almost complete certainty that a Viscaria would be the best choice. DHS blades aren't really great for popping your cherry in terms of spending the same amount of money on a shaped piece of wood that could in fact feed an entire village. That isn't to say they aren't great blades (my favourite manufacturer by a considerable margin) but it's quite easy to mess one up if you aren't careful; the fit and finish on the Viscaria will be better and you will be ready to use it straight out of the box.

This user has no status.
Yep I can't barely speak English, that's not my native language and I've never had a chance to do English classes.

But every single thread you post BO2 have a koto out. I think it's definitely limba but if you prove that's koto I'll apologize.

Sent from my 2014819 using Tapatalk
It's limba 100%, sigh..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
In this review is also stated, that the top ply is limba. Pure wood blade FangBo B has koto and carbon B2 has limba.
blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_9ec8503b0102wmoc.html
I have DHS B2, stiga Allround Classic, Stiga carbonado 45 and 190 and top ply is exactly the same. Koto has a different structure.

Edit:
Also in these pictures is visible a different wood structure on B and B2.
world.tmall.com/item/530383242806.htm?spm=a312a.7700824.w4011-11198599001.206.6f1cbbcesH0v7m&id=530383242806&rn=0370af451c61c7d93a5bf226e4aa222e&abbucket=18

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
MaLongSenpai & yuri.saldon,

Please drop the argument.

You have each inadvertently (or perhaps not so inadvertently) been a little rude to each other. But so far, no harm has been done.

I am not sure what the top ply of the FB2 is. But there is no need to start getting personal.

Perhaps someone like Giang, who knows the information can confirm.

In any case, no need to make this a personal issue.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy
Ok Carl, It wasn't my intention to be disrespectful.
Sorry @malongsenpai, I think it was a miss interpretation by the language barrier

Sent from my 2014819 using Tapatalk

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
T80 is a very fast rubber, especially for BH (despite a lot of European players using it as BH rubber at the moment). It might not be a good decision for the OP to use this rubber for BH given that it's speed is very fast and, as such, requires a higher level of 'ability' to be used to proper effect. It isn't mean as an insult, it's just common sense that the rubber a professional player uses is perhaps not the best choice for an amateur player.

So why T64 would be a better fit - is it slower than T80?

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
So why T64 would be a better fit - is it slower than T80?

Yes, T64 is slightly slower; if you're going for a Viscaria with H3 then actually Tenergy 05-FX might be a good choice. I would look into using T80 (please consider your style of play) but if you believe it is the right rubber then go for it! It simply wouldn't be my first choice (I would personally go for 05/05-FX)