DHS Hurricane Long V - Alternatives? -

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Please come back to topic...

I'm still looking for an HL5 alterntive.
One new requirement: handle shouldn't be to small. Is the FB2 handle larger than HL5 handle?

Sorry be to be the bearer of bad news but the Fang Bo 2 handle is smaller or at the very least the same size as the Long V and that is quite small (they decreased the handle size of the FB2's after the original production run).
Honestly buddy, I can't suggest a better blade than the Viscaria given the information you have provided. It's evident you want to use a Chinese rubber on your FH (Good call!) but if you don't want a small handle then almost all of the DHS blades that a similar to the Long 5 are out of the question.
You mentioned that the Viscaria is easy to get, so in my personal opinion I'd pare that with a H3 Commercial orange sponge and boost it with something like SeaMoon as this sponge will be pretty hard and you need a booster with a low viscosity (Falco Short term booster would also work!) and wack a Tenergy 05 (You could go for the FX but if you haven't used an FX rubber before then that might not be a great idea - there is a difference, for sure!) on the BH.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Please come back to topic...

I'm still looking for an HL5 alterntive.
One new requirement: handle shouldn't be to small. Is the FB2 handle larger than HL5 handle?

To me it seems that you may need the blades in your hand to know what you will like. I do think you have been given some decent info. But you are correct. This thread should get back on subject.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Reactions: MaLongSenpai
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yes, T64 is slightly slower;

Anyone have a different opinion. I have never heard anyone who had really tested both say that T80 is faster than T64.

Let's see what Butterfly has to say:

Look at 5:13 and after for which Butterfly says is fastest and which has more spin.

Has anyone else found different results?

Reactions: Suga D and langel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Anyone have a different opinion. I have never heard anyone who had really tested both say that T80 is faster than T64.

Let's see what Butterfly has to say:

Look at 5:13 and after for which Butterfly says is fastest and which has more spin.

Has anyone else found different results?

You, of all people, should be familiar with the concept of an opinion.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Really...

You, of all people, should be familiar with the concept of an opinion.

Butterfly explains how T80 is right in between T05 and T64 in speed and in spin generation. They explain how it is due to the pimple structure. And they explain that this was exactly why T80 was developed. To have a rubber not as fast as T64 and not quite as spin sensitive and not quite as high throw as T05. So, a rubber that was more easily handled than T05 and T64.

I am okay with people having different opinions. Especially when the person has tested and compared the products in question.

Since different people with varying techniques and levels will feel different things from the same equipment that may happen. But then it may need to be put in context and not presented as TRUTH.

That is why I asked if anyone else had a different experience comparing T80 to T64.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
I think Butterfly's official explanation of the Tenergy range largely makes sense in light of the physical structure of the rubbers. But knowing these descriptions also colors my interpretation of the way the rubbers play. I've used all four Tenergies (05, 25, 64, and 80), and I'm not sure that I would have come to the same speed/spin conclusions as Butterfly had I not known the marketing in advance.

Based on how the rubbers feel, I would group 05 and 64 together as having a similar "feel" in terms of gripping the ball and sponge engagement. I would put 80 and 25 in separate categories. They both feel different to each other and different to the other two Tenergies. 80 has a much more muted "feel" compared to 05 and 64, which both give satisfying feedback (one reason I think they're so widely used). After using 80 for a while, even though my shots were no worse, I found that the rubber just didn't give me good feel/feedback, so I swapped for something with similar playing characteristics but which feels better to me.
Regarding the speed of T80 and T64 - the term "speed" doesn't really make sense to me when comparing the tenergy range, since they all have multiple gears. I think T64 is an excellent rubber in terms of control, being less reactive to incoming spin than 80 or 05, and thus better for blocking and flat hitting. It also gives nice short game feel and isn't too bouncy. And it transitions well from hitting into fast, close to the table looping exchanges. The one area that I found slightly more difficult with T64 was opening loops against backspin, but my technique was also poorer at the time which might account for that difficulty. The only other issue with T64 is that the ball can sometimes slip across the topsheet if you don't get enough sponge engagement.
So in conclusion, I would prefer T64 over T80 as a backhand rubber. Although T80 is also a good backhand rubber, it feels more to me like a muted T05, and the weird feel (especially on short game) eventually got to me. T64 feels more unique, keeping the monster spin capabilities of the Tenergy line but also having some more linear gears.

The caveat is that all of this testing was done with the old celluloid ball. I'm currently using Rakza X on backhand (on HLV), which I would highly recommend as a potential alternative to consider alongside the Tenergies.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Butterfly is Abslolutely correct.
I've played with T05, 80 and 64 /25 still haven't come nearby/ in order to compare them with the rubbers of the Xiom Omega V family.
I've got very interesting results considering both family behaviour depending on sponge and rubber hardness and structure.
What is true for Tenergy, does not apply 100% to Tensors. Tensors families use combinations of not only different rubbers, but different sponges too, and this makes things look different than the straight Tenergy phylososphy - one sponge, different rubbers.
But exactly this gives to Tenergy very predictable, logical and natural understanding about what you should expect from and how you will feel with the different Tenergys.
I tryed to provoke some discussion in this regard in other threads, considering junction between rubbers characteristics and players level of expertise.
But one thing is for shure - in comparison to T80, T64 is faster, with less spin, lower arc, better at mid distance.

This user has no status.
Re Tenergy 64 vs 80, I found 64 to be a bit faster. It's bouncier and more reactive to incoming shots. I found T80 to be much better for my game on the backhand.

Re HLV alternative, I think Innerforce ALC is worth exploring due to the similar structure and I am of the impression the handle may be slightly bigger but I can't confirm this.

If looking for a BTY ALC with Limba outers, Freitas ALC might do the trick but it's more expensive than Viscaria and the carbon layer isn't as deep as HLV .

This user has no status.
ten 64 IS faster Hurricane BO2 has a wider and thinner handle than the hurrcane long series. the flare is also less pronounced. The face size is identical to the new long V old long blades were marginally bigger but not anymore, its a good blade i feel the handle shape forces more forehand play but probably just my hands. its best for its price

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Hi folks,
I decided to order a HL5 now but I'm confused slightly about the versions out there.

Some questions to dissolve:
- What are the pros/cons of the larger (old) and smaller (new) head size?
- How does the smaller head size affect the weight? I assume that a 95gr with small head plays much faster/harder than a 95 gr with larger head size. Am I correct?
- What are the approximate weights of the larger (I think 95gr?) and smaller blades?

I found two very different weight ranges on different dhs-sites in the internet:
http://www.dhs-tt.com/en/dhs-hurricane-long-5 says 95 gr
http://en.dhs-sports.com/c6fc2acb-8517-a3a3-1149-964a881db711/ says 89 gr
I think the second one is the smaller version?
Thanks for your help!
Andi