Pips in V/S pips out

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Not at all. I don't believe he's a bad player at all. He also played in the 38 mm ball era with speed glue. It is far different now than it was then. Remember I'm just going over the definition of skill. Liu Guo Liang is an amazing player. He's won many titles and done so with short pips with a traditional Chinese Penhold Grip. Do I think his technique compared to todays technique is the same? No. Do I think today's Chinese technique is faster and better than his technique? Yes. But let me ask do you know who developed these principles into today's coaching system in China? Liu Guo Liang. I'm sure if you asked him whether or not in his prime if he could beat his players he would be happy to say. Of course not, I've taught them everything I know and they're better because of it.

Pips help you hit balls you would otherwise need to learn how to hit through training. That's what I'm trying to say. Do you really think that Liu in his day would have won all of his majors with anything besides the pips? I personally don't think he would have won as many as he did without them. Do I think he's a terrible player with or without them no. I believe he's perfected his technique to the best that he could with his equipment, but I think it requires less skill than having perfect the same technique that Waldner used with inverted.

I'd just like to point out that just because you use pips you aren't a worse player. I just believe that you have less skill in the area that you use your pips. It's completely logical that if you use pips on your backhand you most likely have a poor backhand compared to your forehand. If you use short pips on both sides then you most certainly are not practicing how to loop heavy underspin you are practicing how to smash the different side and top spins because they are the best to attack with in a point.

Basically pips allow a player to minimize the amount of training required to attack certain shots. Rather than learn all of the different attacks for each kind of spin the shorten the training period to just learning which ones are attackable and which ones the pips will likely return for you. In a match I have to look for spin, length of shot, height of bounce, and speed. That requires me to move both forward and back as well as side to side. The pips will allow me to cut down on what I have to look for and also where I have to move because I will most likely control where the ball is going.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
One day if we meet sir Richard, I would like to battle inverted-inverted with you.

There are 2 possibilities why people use pips one the backhand :
1. They want to cover their weakness. This is caused by lack of training to use inverted.
2. They can use inverted well yet their natural affinity could be delivered better with pips therefore their level of game peak could be heightened.

I am one with the 2nd attribute.
Hmph.

So you say that Joo, Chen Xinhua, Ding Song, Weixing, Wang Tao and all of the world class pips player are trying to cover up their weakness using pips?
If yes, you are sadly mistaken.
If no, then please realize that using pips to the fullest extent is much harder compared to using inverted.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am going to say that this argument is a little foolish. I am going to ignore the details and just say, IT TAKES SKILL AND TECHNIQUE TO USE PIPS.

It takes a different kind of skill and technique to use pips than to use inverted rubber. First, it takes skill to twiddle the paddle, and it takes technique. It is not easy to twiddle. Second, it takes skill to be able to hit with two surfaces as different as the smooth rubber on one side and the pips on the other. Third, it takes skill just to be able to hit with the pips side: when I hit with long pips it is strange as hell and really hard to get the ball over the net with control. They are dead and require a completely different technique for hitting than the smooth rubber does.

So in playing with pips you need technique and skill. In fact you need very different techniques to play with each different kind of rubber. Long pips, short pips, anti-spin and smooth rubber all require different techniques and you need to develop different skills to use each. In fact, you need different technique when you use Tenergy than you do when you use Hurricane, or Sriver. :) Technique is how you how you hit the ball. A flat hit is a different technique than a loop. Skill is something that can be worked on and improved. To get better with any kind of rubber you need to keep developing your technique so that you have skill in using it.

With any kind of rubber you can develop your technique and improve your skill or you can just play and not develop. I see players with smooth rubber who do not know how to hit a forehand or a backhand properly and have been doing the same funny things with their shots as they were when I first started playing who don't really get better and are just lazy and do not progress. I have seen the same thing with different kinds of deceptive rubbers. And I see other people, regardless of what kind of rubbers they are using, who develop their skill and technique and continue to improve.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
I am going to say that this argument is a little foolish. I am going to ignore the details and just say, IT TAKES SKILL AND TECHNIQUE TO USE PIPS.

It takes a different kind of skill and technique to use pips than to use inverted rubber. First, it takes skill to twiddle the paddle, and it takes technique. It is not easy to twiddle. Second, it takes skill to be able to hit with two surfaces as different as the smooth rubber on one side and the pips on the other. Third, it takes skill just to be able to hit with the pips side: when I hit with long pips it is strange as hell and really hard to get the ball over the net with control. They are dead and require a completely different technique for hitting than the smooth rubber does.

So in playing with pips you need technique and skill. In fact you need very different techniques to play with short pips than you need to play with long pips, and you need different techniques to play with anti-spin as well, and different techniques to play with smooth rubbers.

With any kind of rubber you can develop your technique and improve your skill or you can just play and not develop. I see players with smooth rubber who do not know how to hit a forehand or a backhand properly and have been doing the same funny things with their shots as they were when I first started playing who don't really get better and are just lazy and do not progress. I have seen the same thing with different kinds of deceptive rubbers. And I see other people, regardless of what kind of rubbers they are using, who develop their skills and technique and continue to improve.

End of story.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I agree with Carl. It might be true that players who use pips on for example backhand don't have a good backhand technique with inverted rubbers. We don't know because we don't see them play with it. But players with inverted on backhand might have a bad technique if they would use pips. It takes a different technique, and so different, that you can't really say it involves less skill I believe. If you see how tight over the net Joo chops with his pips, thats defenitely amazing skill and not just his pips.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
If I'm not misunderstand what Richard says about you take less skill by using pips out, it may about those pushblocker player with 2000 rating. But actually, you may achieve this rating too with some inverted rubber setup, just simply block all the attacks. This is because the players who are below 2000 rating has less consistency, and more ever, many people try to think of getting the point by loop/drive the ball very hard at the first hit.

But if you check on those pro with pips, especially the short pip. You can notice they have very different stroke. Because, different type of rubber does require different kind of technique. LGL did say once in the interview, he said that he is not courage player to develope the stroke to look good, but they should develop their stroke that give them a consistency on hitting it. And thats why his stroke looks weird most of time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
If I'm not misunderstand what Richard says about you take less skill by using pips out, it may about those pushblocker player with 2000 rating. But actually, you may achieve this rating too with some inverted rubber setup, just simply block all the attacks. This is because the players who are below 2000 rating has less consistency, and more ever, many people try to think of getting the point by loop/drive the ball very hard at the first hit.

But if you check on those pro with pips, especially the short pip. You can notice they have very different stroke. Because, different type of rubber does require different kind of technique. LGL did say once in the interview, he said that he is not courage player to develope the stroke to look good, but they should develop their stroke that give them a consistency on hitting it. And thats why his stroke looks weird most of time.

Sir Olivier Mader ?

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011

Exactly...the higher rated players may not face much problems with these blockers. My advice to lower rank players..LEARN hehehe

This user has no status.
Pips are for players who prefer athleticism and/or deception over technique and skill. You aren't skilled at TT if you're using pips because they do most of the work. For the inverted rubbers technique must be mastered meaning a required skill level must be in place to win matches.

Pips are for players who prefer athleticism, deception, technique and skill. Inverted are for players who prefer athleticism (e.g. just watch a match between two loopers - they also have to run and go through their knees), deception (e.g. on the serve), technique and skill (do I need to give examples of these?). Pips don't do most of the work for you: If I don't have a touch for the ball and I don't know what to do with the incoming ball, then the ball goes out.

I've personally played players that are 400-500 rated points above my skill level and won against them when I've switched to any type of pips. It's a clear advantage and in my opinion only stagnates the growth of the sport. Deceptive players and pips players tend to really lower the level of play in an area because they rarely allow players to learn technique properly. Typically a player will learn from experience rather than coaching and therefore strike up some fairly ugly techniques. Their elbows are out of place wrist takes up more action rather than the arm and shoulder and footwork becomes terrible as they would rather reach than position for the strongest stroke.

I don't know which level you are, but at my level, if an inverted player switches to pips and even plays just one level above him or against his own level, he'll lose more matches than if he was using inverted.
As for learning a proper technique: as a pip player you can also twiddle and use your inverted against newbies, but once they learn how to loop, they can learn how to play against your pips and their attacking abilities will go way up. They'll need to learn how to brush loop, driveloop and smash.
I practice on a regular basis against a good attacking player and his forehand isn't deformed in any way. In contrary, it has improved quite a bit during the past year.

I suggest that instead of complaining about the pips a player may use, help to start up leagues or events at tournaments where Pips are not allowed. Equality for all meaning if you want to learn how to beat pips you can take the time to do so, but if you want to just play inverted players there is also the option for that as well. If we were able to gain more players in events, I'm sure organizations would strike up more events across the globe.

So here's to some more TT Growth.

Ok, start a league where only inverted rubbers are allowed to be used, but don't complain when pips and anti users also organize their own leagues where inverted rubbers aren't welcome or are only welcome on one side. And be aware you'll hurt a lot of inverted players because they'll not learn how to beat a non-inverted player (because they don't encounter one), be aware you'll fuell the hatred towards non-inverted players that is already present in a part of inverted group and be aware you may bring the ITTF on ideas and as a consequence a lot of players may leave the sport just because of the ban of non-inverted material (e.g. older people, more defensive types,...).

@ Yosua - It does stagnate the sport. The number one complaint in the sport of table tennis from any type of player is that they wish people didn't rely on pips so much. The difference is that some have learned how to learn to beat pips and others just complain about them. I'm not saying that you shouldn't have the right to play with them. I simply am tired of hearing people who are too lazy to learn how to beat them complain about it at every club/tournament I attend. It shouldn't be banned entirely, there should just be an inverted only event that players can enter and worry more about skill rather than equipment. Then the majority of players have nothing to complain about other than some smaller items that you hear at tournys.

Well, non-inverted players are also tired of the complaints about the rubbers they use, as well as the abusive language, the gossip and the underestimation they are forced to experience. You can then go two ways: you can seperate these players even more apart, something an only inverted league will only encourage. Or you can bring those two groups together by making them understand each other.

@ Carl - Not reading spin has nothing to do with technique. It's just lack of experience. The problem with pips players is that they typically will use the pips for two reasons. They already have poor technique that they would rather not develop and they need the deception of twiddling or just the LP to help them win the points. When using Long Pips you have 3 options that come from a variety of different type of strokes. You can reverse, cancel, or even corkscrew the spin that your opponent gives you. And when you aren't able to read those spins or are unable to reach the ball because of the lack of spin/speed on the ball it's rather annoying.

Reading spin comes with experience, but those who complain about the non-inverted users don't read spin: that's for sure. Otherwise they would enjoy playing against a non-inverted user because of the variation and the longer rallies... Maybe they should gain more experience?
The group you mention exists: there are players who use pips as a shortcut, but this shortcut leads to nowhere. There is, however, another group of pip users who use pips to learn a defensive game (I'm not talking about pip blockers, because I don't have experience using this style) and need to learn how to play with the pips, what ball can be hit on which incoming ball, which ball you can expect from the return you just hit, what effect you send back,... You can do three things with long pips: add spin, cancel spin or reverse spin. The pip you're using doesn't do this at random, but you need touch, technique and skill to do this. It depends on what stroke you're using and how you touch the ball.

What I was pointing out here was that pips and anti allow an otherwise less skilled player to play others that are at a clear higher level. The sport becomes about winning rather than improving. I live in PA and we have one of the largest areas where LP and Anti are the common thing around here, but I have had so many players come in to learn about table tennis, but because they don't have the income to learn from a coach end up quitting because the pips and anti players refuse to play them so that they can learn how to play them. It's rather disturbing, but common place in the U.S.

At the lower levels this is unequivocally true, but at the medium and higher levels your first sentence doesn't hold. I agree you need to do something if non-inverted players refuse to train just because they just don't want to be defeated. I find that outrageous. I am always ready to train against other players and explain if they don't understand something: off course they also need to be willing to learn. Creating a just inverted league, however, is just the wrong answer to this for the reasons mentioned above.

Let me explain what I mean by skill. There's natural talent and there's skill (something learned through training). You can use the pips over and over again, but you will rarely ever raise your level considerably each time you practice. Because the LP reverses the spin or the SP produce dead balls you rely on deception and hope the other player will make a mistake. LP players rarely ever attack topspin or heavy underspin balls. They prefer to attack dead or weak topspin balls making it easier for them to come in and smash (i.e. Chen or Joo). That's all athleticism. Anyone can train to get to that level and if you want technique Joo has the best form as he's the best Defender in the World. But skill has nothing to do with it because he hasn't learned how to reverse the spin the Pips do that automatically for him. If you wanted to reverse the spin with inverted that would take skill because it requires a physical effort to produce the result. Samsonov very often does this from far back where he'll corkscrew the ball so that it produces a "reversed" spin. The Chinese did this in the past where they would loop the ball with side and top spin to corkscrew the ball so that when the opponent blocked or countered the ball it would "feel" like it was underspin.

Well, it is in this explanation I see you never used one pip before or not to the extend you need to really do something with it. You don't understand what pips do: you only repeat what other inverted or non-experienced non-inverted players say.
When you use pips for the first time, they drive you crazy. You don't understand what's going on. But with further training you understand what's going on and you'll learn how to hit the ball to create a certain effect. In comparison with inverted you also need to take the other guy's spin more in account because you cannot create as much spin as with inverted.
LP doesn't reverse automatically, especially with the current grippy pips.
What do you do with SP choppers if they only could create dead balls? They wouldn't last long. What does a SP player do when he's forced to return a ball below net height? Not returning a dead ball I assure you.
Did you ever see a match of Joo or Weixing? They attacks a lot of balls to their forehand with a forehand topspin. The reason why they don't attack a heavy underspin ball often with their inverted is because the return they are giving is easy for an attacker to attack and if attacked to their pips, the ball will fly out. The reason why they don't attack heavy underspin balls with their pips is because the returned ball is easy to attack for an attacker and they are again out of position. They occasionally attack heavy underspin balls, however, as an element of surprise. They attack heavy topspin balls: why wouldn't they?
They don't smash the ball, but loopdrive them. Only if the balls is smashable at a decent percentage, they'll smash the ball (but so will attackers).

All in all, I'm not bashing on pips or any deceptive rubbers I just simply want to end the constant complaining coming from players who prefer not to use them. Create more clubs and leagues where inverted only events exist and then we reduce the complaints of playing pips players.

I'm glad you don't want to bash non-inverted players, but you are perceived that way.

Not at all. I don't believe he's a bad player at all. He also played in the 38 mm ball era with speed glue. It is far different now than it was then. Remember I'm just going over the definition of skill. Liu Guo Liang is an amazing player. He's won many titles and done so with short pips with a traditional Chinese Penhold Grip. Do I think his technique compared to todays technique is the same? No. Do I think today's Chinese technique is faster and better than his technique? Yes. But let me ask do you know who developed these principles into today's coaching system in China? Liu Guo Liang. I'm sure if you asked him whether or not in his prime if he could beat his players he would be happy to say. Of course not, I've taught them everything I know and they're better because of it.

Pips help you hit balls you would otherwise need to learn how to hit through training. That's what I'm trying to say. Do you really think that Liu in his day would have won all of his majors with anything besides the pips? I personally don't think he would have won as many as he did without them. Do I think he's a terrible player with or without them no. I believe he's perfected his technique to the best that he could with his equipment, but I think it requires less skill than having perfect the same technique that Waldner used with inverted.

I'd just like to point out that just because you use pips you aren't a worse player. I just believe that you have less skill in the area that you use your pips. It's completely logical that if you use pips on your backhand you most likely have a poor backhand compared to your forehand. If you use short pips on both sides then you most certainly are not practicing how to loop heavy underspin you are practicing how to smash the different side and top spins because they are the best to attack with in a point.

Basically pips allow a player to minimize the amount of training required to attack certain shots. Rather than learn all of the different attacks for each kind of spin the shorten the training period to just learning which ones are attackable and which ones the pips will likely return for you. In a match I have to look for spin, length of shot, height of bounce, and speed. That requires me to move both forward and back as well as side to side. The pips will allow me to cut down on what I have to look for and also where I have to move because I will most likely control where the ball is going.

IMO this again illustrates to me how this whole pip debate can be reduced to a different world view. I think you view, among many others, that table tennis can only be played in one way: pure attacking. What you don't realize is that viewing table tennis as such depends on how you view the world. I can imagine you view your way of live, the one of the society you live in, as the only correct one because they always told you it was the correct way of life (I don't want to offend you, so correct me if I'm wrong). Compare the view you have on table tennis: they always told you that table tennis must be played in a certain way (i.e. attacking way), so you see that as the only good way of playing table tennis. But you see other ways of life and you allow them, but you see the way of life they've told you as superior to them. You see other ways of playing table tennis, you allow them, but you see the way the've told you how to play table tennis as superior to the other ways of playing table tennis.
Now, there are people who don't believe what they were told during their upbringing. They experience all the ways of life as equal, with all having advantages and disadvantages. They also believe these ways of life can learn from each other. They also tolerate other ways of life and estimate them as equal to their own. Compare this to the following table tennis players: there are people who don't believe the story of table tennis being a pure attacking sport because e.g. they feel more attracted to a defensive playing style. They experience all styles as equal, all having advantages and disadvantages. They also believe all these ways of playing table tennis can learn from each other. They also tolerate other ways of playing table tennis and estimate them as equal to their own.
I've been in both camps during my life: now guess what gave me the most logical explanation of the world and of table tennis?
I'm just 25 years old, but I've learned enough to know where discrimination leads to: nothing but misery. Just check your history books if you don't believe me.

When I read your posts I see a good chap who wants to do something about the things he sees going wrong, but he doesn't understand what he's going to do will make it worse.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Nice post Lorre! Wow, its been ages since I posted here, amazed I recall my details LOL.

There certainly is some mis-information floating around out there about pip players.

One of the funniest things I find is this notion that pips just automatically reverse spin for you. Ba-bowng! Not quite right! Different pips have different effects on spin to start with. And a different stroke will create a different return ball for any given incoming spin. And a different blade will have impact as well. Putting all of this together is quite a skill in itself. Using it effectively takes training and practice...and lots and lots of it. Working out the blade angles to hit the ball the way you want takes spin recognition, speed recognition and proper execution. Without those skills you are unlikely to be consistent in hitting successful shots time after time. Yes, at lower levels this is indeed less onerous. But to progress up to decent proficiency (not talking anywhere near pro level either), you need to develop good skills to use pips. I played dual-inverted for almost 30 years before I moved to pips. Admittedly, my TT seriousness has increased in the last 4 years of playing pips far beyond the 30 years prior. And my skill level is now far beyond my peak as a teen. But the skills I have learned by playing with pips has actually made me a better dual inverted player as well. Not that I play dual inverted often these days, but when I do, it takes me 15 minutes or so of hit-up to get used to the difference in power on my BH to having Ox pips there and I can then rip a BH loop. The precision of action I have had to develop using pips to do this has enabled me to transport that into a better action with inverted on my BH. But I am not terribly interested in playing inverted on my BH. I haven't spent years developing my pip shots to step backwards. TT is all about style and variation. Individuality defines us, and playing the game how we want to play it, not how others want us to play it (within rules of course) is what is great about it. If you lose to someone, no matter what bat they use, the idea is to get up again and have another go. The answer isn't to start complaining or segregating, the answer is to learn..as many have already acknowledged here.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Great Posts Lorre and RebTT.

My experience with playing against pips players is that I have the most fun when I am playing against a good player who uses them precisely because of how much more attention you have to pay to every detail of what the player has done. Which side did he/she use, how did she contact the ball, is it dead, is it light spin, is it heavy? Did they contact the ball with a light touch, did they contact the ball heavy and get the pips to bend into the ball? It all happens in a flash. Against an inverted player the spin variations are so much more natural to read that I can sometimes check out and not realize it until I misread something. So I love the focus it takes to play against deceptive rubbers. I do like playing, no matter who I am playing, but I also find myself improving much faster if I can spend a certain amount of my training time working with someone with one kind of deceptive rubber or another.

And my experience, at the club I play at, the top flight players I know are totally not worried about what rubbers their opponent is using. They know how to play. A player who has a USATT rating of 2300, is not going to worry about the rubbers. He or she might need to know what kind of rubbers his opponent is using but they are not worried about it beyond that. If they are playing a pips player who is 2500 it is more than likely they will lose unless they match up well against that particular player. But it won't be because of the rubber. And if a 2300 pips player is playing a 2500 level smooth rubber looper, the 2300 level pips player will most likely lose most of the time unless he/she matches up well against that particular 2500 level player.

And I think it is worth remembering that in the 1950's smooth and sponge were considered JUNK and there were people who went around saying it was an unfair advantage and you did not need skill and technique to be good with those funny new rubbers and that they should be banned. :)

My rating is 1668 (USATT). I am happy with how I have progressed in the last two years going from being a complete beginner to where I am. Without the practice and experience playing with a lot of different kinds of players, especially a few of the good, solid long pips players I train with on a regular basis, I would not have gone from approximately a 500 rating to 1668. And I am 46 (not old but not too young either).

So I say, viva la differance. :) I have heard lots of people complain and make all kinds of excuses when they lose, but the equipment of the other player is never the real reason why a player loses. It is their own experience, level, skill and how intelligently they played in the match.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Pips help you hit balls you would otherwise need to learn how to hit through training.

I'd just like to point out that just because you use pips you aren't a worse player. I just believe that you have less skill in the area that you use your pips.

Hey Mr, Richard, I would love to hear about how you do when you play players with pips. Are you good against them. How do you fair. Like if you play a player who is 2000 or 1900 who plays with pips, what are the usual results.

By the way, how did you do in that recent tournament you told me about. What is your level now? How much did it go up?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
My rating is 1668 (USATT). I am happy with how I have progressed in the last two years going from being a complete beginner to where I am. Without the practice and experience playing with a lot of different kinds of players, especially a few of the good, solid long pips players I train with on a regular basis, I would not have gone from approximately a 500 rating to 1668. And I am 46 (not old but not too young either).

Wow, I don't think that's a bad progress, is it Carl?:) (I don't play in the US obviously while living in Belgium, but I'm familiar with the system by reading about it). There should be a lot more players with your character. You probably aren't at your limit either, seeing how you look at the sport.
I'm also quite curious about your percentage against non-inverted players, Mr. RicharD.:)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Wow funny how everyone misreads into my posts. Okay here's the definition of skill:

1. ability to do something well: the ability to do something well, usually gained through training or experience
2. something requiring training to do well: something that requires training and experience to do well, e.g. an art or trade

I've played with pips. I've played short and long pips and have beaten players who use inverted at the 2200+ rating in the U.S. I'm currently at 1061 or something to that nature, but I beat 1800+ players with my inverted setup.

Twiddling doesn't take skill because my students at there first day of training were able to do it even before I showed them how to hold a paddle shakehand. So I don't know what you're saying there. They do it involuntarily so I don't see how it can be said that it's a technique that requires skill because according to the definition they have not trained to do it they were just naturally able to do it. And no my students have never played a day of Table Tennis before I started teach them because they had never been opened to it.

I don't know exactly where Lorre is getting at. The whole point about my post had he read the full thread was that people like to complain about pips. I live in Lancaster, PA where we are a predominantly Long Pips area. Everyone here plays with pips either short or Long and they're all rated above the 2000 mark. I'm only rated at 1061 because I had a bad tournament against some players I've never played against from Maryland who had some very unique styles. I'll hope to attend a tournament shortly here and maybe my rating will go up. Come down to any of our Lancaster clubs if you're in the area I'd love to play any of you.

I've had about a dozen players from Penn State who switched to pips because of the clear advantage it gave them. They need only know how to hit off the bounce or chop block and they're able to beat many players at the clubs around our area.

I get that you all have some opinions about pips, but it's naive to think that they don't make shots easier. Where you would normally have to hit at a close angle you're able to hit a neutral to open angle because of the pips.

Maybe sometime soon I'll respond to Lorres post, but seriously you're all taking this out of hand because the whole point I was trying to make was that instead of everyone complaining about pips why not just create an inverted only league. There are plenty of Long pips and hardbat events at tournaments around the world but few have chosen to go inverted only.

On the topic of athleticism. Do you think that Joo Se Hyuk or Chen Weixing run less than the Inverted players they play against throughout the match?

To everything that Lorre said about deception and athleticism vs technique and skill you're subjectively stating that in one instance this happens and that happens, but to an overall match for hit for hit the stats don't lie. Joo runs more and uses the pips more in his hits. The inverted players that beat them run less and loop more.

And finally I'd like to end with your personal experiences. How many players have you coached and opened to the Table Tennis world? How many have quit because they played some pips players who did not to coach them on what to do to beat them. How many tournaments have you gone to where there aren't players who are upset by someone using a deceptive rubber.

I'll go first:

I started playing Table Tennis in 2003. Never heard about the sport and had never seen it being played properly until the week after I first encountered it. Once I saw I was hooked. At the time we had 10 members in our club with 3 rated players at the 1300+ rating level our best player was around 1600.

In 2004 I became the president and grew the club to 35 weekly members playing several days a week and using our rating system based off a starting rating of 1000.

Took a couple years off from school and it became inactive until 2007 when I started it back up again this time growing it to 65 weekly members playing in our rated matches and also playing against 3 other schools in the area. It wasn't until 2008 when we started attending better clubs that players started learning about pips. We had 3-4 players switch to the frictionless pips at the time and they were beating everyone at which point the following semester we had all but 15-20 players continuing to play in our rated matches and playing against the 3 other schools.

I went on to University Park where I was coached under Hank McCoulum and learned quite a lot from the team and club in general. That's when I really started studying about the science of the sport. Finally I went on to create my own club at the beginning of this year where we're currently at about 12 regulars each week and have had about 12-16 coming to our monthly amateur tournaments.

Now I don't know what your personal experiences are, but each and every time I introduce players to a club that predominantly uses pips and the atmosphere doesn't allow them to learn properly how to beat them they quit. There's no room for growth. I believe that players should learn how to play against pips players because I personally have learned how to beat pips players, but to say that it doesn't stagnate the growth of the sport is pretty naive.

If you hear about people complaining about pips then that in itself produces a negative connotation towards the sport hence creating poor growth.

In Europe look at the pips players there. Do any of them improve their technique because they'd like to have the success that Joo has had? Personally I'd say no. Just watch the ETTC womans matches and you can clearly see how low the level of pips players is, but yet they're still able to compete at the level of some of the top Euro women.

Again I have never said that people shouldn't have the right to use pips. On the contrary I don't believe anything should be banned because it just makes players angrier. Personally I believe that pips may require a different technique and even a different set of skills but I don't believe it requires more skill and technique than that of the aggressive inverted players say in the top 20 rankings.

The reason being all you'd have to do is watch the Joo vs Chen matches and they never loop each others pips balls they hit with their own pips. I don't mean to offend anyone by this post, but I just want to point out that pips are considered by the majority of players out there as a negative out look on the sport. And until people stop complaining about them they'll never be anything but negative to the sport.

Inverted can do everything that the pips can do, but you just have to learn how to use them. So for everything you're saying about how I have to learn how to beat pips players with inverted why can't I say the same thing to the pips players? Why can't they learn how to play inverted and beat players who use pips?

Wow I wrote a novel here, but I hope I got across what I was trying to say. No offense intended just my personal outlook on the growth of the sport.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
@Mr.RicharD

The thing that now occurs to me is that in the area where u play probably more than 50% of the players uses pips. If that is true I understand ur point. At the club where I play we have like 150 members, from which less than 5 use pips. Also in competition the amount of pips players will be under 10% I think (not sure), but that is acceptable. I think with pips players it is like defenders, you get a good match when they play against a standard player, but not when they play against each other (defender vs. defender or pips vs. pips).

But the solution to that 'overuse' of pips would be to teach basics on how to easily beat pips. It seems to me that the average level of players there is relatively low, giving pips players the advantage that u mention.

Now I know those are just assumptions, but it seems for me the only way that pips could be bad for the sport. But please correct me if I made the wrong assumptions xD

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Wow, intruiging little debate. Personally I find pips to add to the depth of the sport, they just add another dimension to the game. Remember not everyone necessarily likes to play an offensive style and having pips allows people to advantage themselves as defensive players. Let's not forget of course that players can attack with pips too. I would never pass up the opportunity to have a training session with short pips on my forehand for a bit of a slap fest :)

I don't see what the big fuss is about here, though in saying that I didn't go through and read ALLLLL of the posts haha

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
@ Wiwa - our level of play is fairly high we have several inverted players in the area who are all above the 2000 rating level. Our Long Pips percentage is probably a good 80-90 percent in the area comprising of over 40 players that I can think of atm. None of our players are choppers. Most are all chop blockers on the BH or some even like to attack with the Mccafee side spin shot. Then we have a couple Anti/LP players (they switch every so often) that all trained under Dan Seemiller perhaps the most famous of Anti Players.

I find choppers to be the most athletic players in our sport. They are all about consistency and crazy reflexes. However the problem with Long Pips is that there's no system in place to actually teach how to use it. If you pay attention to the players who are most popularly using the LP they all have different techniques that work for them. Because of this it's rather hard to judge the technique of a player when in reality they don't have any. Typically it'll become a chop fest from weird angles. Some chop with the forehand some chop with the back and they all look so different.

I personally don't have any problems with the LP players here because I play them so much. But the problem lies with the fact that new players in our area or anywhere where there's a high percentage of pips players will be less inclined to take up the sport. It's not exciting to watch chop blockers. I get so many comments from people at the rec center that I started my club in about why we need to take up so much space. No one realizes that the playing area isn't confined to just the area of the table, but of about a 20x20 foot court on both sides of the table.

@ matt - I agree with you there. I think that pips are rather cool and they make for a fun game to watch when you have an attacker and a chopper. It's just the majority of players out there do not strive to learn the technique that players like Chen and Joo use. They typically end up looking like Olivier Mader or even John Wetzler who's a 2200 rated player around where I live. He goes to our club and tbh I find it so annoying that someone who can hit so well with his forehand refuses to learn how to hit just as well with his backhand.

Our short pips players don't chop either. They are all about smashing off the bounce. Inverted would definitely never allow them to do that. It's because of these facts that I argue that Pips require less skill than inverted. The way I posted my argument I think has offended some people because it was a bit brash. I meant no offense just that there is a difference between the pips players as a majority and world class players.