Who do you think will win the Austrian Open 2017?

• Wong Chun Ying

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Koki Niwa

• Fang Bo

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Simon Gauzy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marcos Freitas

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Kenta Matsudaira

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Yan An

• Yuya Oshima

• Masaki Yoshida

• Other (Post Below)

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Yuki is the younger brother of Sayaka, a former multiple national champion and silver team medalist at London 2012 olympics

He is really good but I have heard he's been permanently barred from the national team for bad attitude

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Xue Fei also playing in mens singles. Currently 2-3 down vs Joao Monteiro in pre groups

Followed the match for sometime. Frankly I dont see anything special in Xu Fei at this point. Lacks anything striking in his arsenal by CNT standard. RPB is nowhere comparable to the legendary WH. Just keeps the ball in play and lacks power to threaten top players. But yeah he is young (not by FZD and Harimoto standard), hopefully he can improve.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
Followed the match for sometime. Frankly I dont see anything special in Xu Fei at this point. Lacks anything striking in his arsenal by CNT standard. RPB is nowhere comparable to the legendary WH. Just keeps the ball in play and lacks power to threaten top players. But yeah he is young (not by FZD and Harimoto standard), hopefully he can improve.

His serves are super illegal though... Throws them mostly backwards and hides with his arm, again umpire not interfering. I will keep calling this out until finally ittf starts dealing with it

Reactions: drunix80
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016

Really. Nothing striking in his arsenal? I guess we're seeing different things.

I think I am ready to get ahead of the curve and say I think he has the current best RPB on the planet. Even over Wong Chun Ting. Now is his BH on WH level? The greatest RPB of all time and one of the truely great penholders? No and that's a little unfair at this point. But he's young and I'll put his RPB up against anybodys. Xu Xin would be world champion if his RPB was remotely as good as Xue's RPB.

Side note:
His serves are super illegal though... Throws them mostly backwards and hides with his arm, again umpire not interfering. I will keep calling this out until finally ittf starts dealing with it

And I will contend that it'll keep being legal as long as it's not called. Honestly we could play the "he hides his serves illegally" game with virtually every pro out there. We really could. So in my book of it's not called or if the opponent isn't arguing it, then that means it's fine.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
And I will contend that it'll keep being legal as long as it's not called. Honestly we could play the "he hides his serves illegally" game with virtually every pro out there. We really could. So in my book of it's not called or if the opponent isn't arguing it, then that means it's fine.

But it is super inconsistent. Pros never know if an umpire is strict or not. Players like Timo Boll are too humble to call it out, sometimes you can see him get frustrated over the ref not doing anything. You don't want to be the that guy calling others out, it is not their job, that shit is discussed on amateur levels and shouldn't in pro play...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Men's Singles:

Round of 32:

Wong Chun Ting vs Omar Assar
Benedikt Duda vs Kristian Karlsson
Stefan Fegerl vs Ho Kwan Kit
Florent Lambiet vs Yan An

Kenta Matsudaira vs Jonathan Groth
Pavel Sirucek vs Emmanuel Lebesson
Maharu Yoshimura vs Ng Pak Nam
Andrej Gacina vs Fang Bo

Simon Gauzy vs Ricardo Walther
Alvaro Robles vs Masaki Yoshida
Hugo Calderano vs Masataka Morizono
Bastian Steger vs Yuya Oshima

Marcos Freitas vs Lin Gaoyuan
Liang Jingkun vs Robert Gardos
Ruwen Filus vs Alexandre Cassin
Joao Monteiro vs Koki Niwa

http://old.ittf.com/competitions/te...sp?s_Event_Type=MS&rnd=32&Competition_ID=2735

Women's Singles:

Round of 32:

Chen Meng (CHN) vs Miyu Maeda
Miyu Nagasaki vs Lee Ho Ching
Sofia Polcanova vs Chen Ke
Minnie Soo Wai Yam vs Wang Manyu

Liu Jia vs Kyoka Kato
Marina Matsuzawa vs Doo Hoi Kem
Sakura Mori vs Chen Xingtong
Saki Shibata vs Sun Yingsha

Kasumi Ishikawa vs Wang Yidi
Zhang Rui vs Miyu Kato
Maki Shiomi vs Fu Yu
Gu Ruochen vs Hitomi Sato

Honoka Hashimoto vs Ni Xia Lian
Li Qian vs Hina Hayata
Melek Hu vs Yui Hamamoto
Gu Yuting vs Miu Hirano

http://old.ittf.com/competitions/te...sp?s_Event_Type=WS&rnd=32&Competition_ID=2735

Live streaming:
All matches should be covered by live streaming / on demand videos by: https://tv.ittf.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: Ilia Minkin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
But it is super inconsistent. Pros never know if an umpire is strict or not. Players like Timo Boll are too humble to call it out, sometimes you can see him get frustrated over the ref not doing anything. You don't want to be the that guy calling others out, it is not their job, that shit is discussed on amateur levels and shouldn't in pro play...

That sounds like a Timo Boll problem to me if he's too meek to call out another player for not following the rules. Even if that means it could cost him in a game where they're professionals and there's $$ on the line. I just don't get that line of thinking.

Anyways, if you'll watch the Men's under 21 final, you'll be happy to see Xei got called for faults a lot in that match. Pretty sure as the way the ref was gesturing was from the toss being to far into his body. In those cases I would agree with you. They were illegal because they were called. :)

If it starts to get called a lot on a certain player, they probably should look to change their technique.

I've gone on record some time ago that I think the service rules are silly. A lot of players hide their serve. The rest who don't are within a fraction of an inch of hiding their serve. The whole thing is kinda dumb IMO. It seems radical but I'm in favor of them just going to that two toned ball DHS has in the China super league some time back and saying hide as much as you want. Then you take out that silly gray area if a serve is hidden or not.