Is 5g of glue too much glue?

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
The "beast mode Viscaria": that was Giang who did that. He did call it mode: it is supposed to be mod, short for modification. But that Viscera did not have weight added to the handle because the handle was solid. So, technically, it was an attempt at a beast modification, but then ended up being something else. :)

Look for, rebuilding the beast.

If a Viscaria handle feels too big for you, can I ask 2 things:

1) how old are you?

2) how do you hold your racket?

If you are a under 11 years old, then I can see that handle being a little big for you. By 13 it should no longer be the case.

If you are an adult, my guess is that, how you are holding your racket is more an issue than what size the handle is. The three fingers that are wrapping around the handle should be lose and relaxed for adjustments in grip. The index finger and thumb on the blade face (lowest part of the rubber) should be what does the real holding of the racket.

If you are grabbing too hard with middle finger, ring finger and pinky, it would explain your problem with your wrists while playing. Those fingers tightening too much can cause you tightness in your forearm and wrist which would be counterproductive for TT.

The one mod I saw was of the semi-hollow Stiga handle filled (with resin?) then installed on the Viscaria.

To answer your questions, I'm in my 30's and this is how I typically hold my racket. I focus on holding it with my index and thumb just as you have mentioned and putting hardly any pressure with the remaining 3:

IMG_7725.jpg
IMG_7726.jpg

Sometimes I hold it like this:

IMG_7727.jpg

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The one mod I saw was of the semi-hollow Stiga handle filled (with resin?) then installed on the Viscaria.

To answer your questions, I'm in my 30's and this is how I typically hold my racket. I focus on holding it with my index and thumb just as you have mentioned and putting hardly any pressure with the remaining 3:

View attachment 14260
View attachment 14261

Sometimes I hold it like this:

View attachment 14262

From the photos your hand and wrist seem a normal size. To me it looks like you are grabbing with the three fingers on the handle a bit too tight. But in a photo it is really hard to tell. It just looks like your knuckles are bent hard and turning white.

Your whole hand and forearm actually looks quite tense to me. Again, I could be wrong. But...

Here:

1e6a371957e715a9ce33bf14a3108286.jpg

05ebff8ee5ae0be062669b2d982ca55d.jpg

2104a04516350b9b268cb23937b8da3d.jpg

c67f51e9aeb3820fb251888a34c42dae.jpg

7e2498fe1fbe467bf00c16ae0e0401fb.jpg

If you look at my wrist and hand, it looks a lot more relaxed than yours. If you look at the weird angles that show the finger tips of those three fingers on the handle, the only one that is even touching is the ring finger. And my middle finger often lifts away from the handle completely.

Again, photos are photos. But it looks like you are holding quite a lot of tension in your hand, wrist and forearm.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
From the photos your hand and wrist seem a normal size. To me it looks like you are grabbing with the three fingers on the handle a bit too tight. But in a photo it is really hard to tell. It just looks like your knuckles are bent hard and turning white.

Your whole hand and forearm actually looks quite tense to me. Again, I could be wrong. But...

If you look at my wrist and hand, it looks a lot more relaxed than yours. If you look at the weird angles that show the finger tips of those three fingers on the handle, the only one that is even touching is the ring finger. And my middle finger often lifts away from the handle completely.

Again, photos are photos. But it looks like you are holding quite a lot of tension in your hand, wrist and forearm.

I think I do tend to hold a bit too tight with my bottom 3 fingers and that my forearm can be tense. This is especially true with the Viscaria and its 100 x 25 x 34 mm FL handle, and less so with my MJ and its 100 x 22 x 27.5 mm ST handle.

Trust me, your hands and wrists are a lot larger than mine! :D

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think I do tend to hold a bit too tight with my bottom 3 fingers and that my forearm can be tense. This is especially true with the Viscaria and its 100 x 25 x 34 mm FL handle, and less so with my MJ and its 100 x 22 x 27.5 mm ST handle.

Trust me, your hands and wrists are a lot larger than mine! :D

Your fingers are wrapped around th handle and practically hitting the base of your thumb. My fingers are nowhere near my thumb.

My hand is wider, thicker than yours. But I am not sure bigger is the correct word.

Take a photo with your hand on your Viscaria's blade face. Have the base of your wrist lined up with the bottom edge of your rubber. Like this:

ea96998215ad59d93d18df678b087f2e.jpg

This blade has the same sized head as a Viscaria. Let's see how long or short your fingers are.

BTW, measuring from the base of my wrist to the tip of my middle finger (longest finger) is 6.5 inches or 165mm.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Offtopic question but not worthy a thread, my rubber has started to come of in the edges on some sides. Can I just remove it and apply another glue layer and attach it again? Or will I have trouble somehow? For example if the rubber shrinks that fast (not sure how fast that process is).

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Offtopic question but not worthy a thread, my rubber has started to come of in the edges on some sides. Can I just remove it and apply another glue layer and attach it again? Or will I have trouble somehow? For example if the rubber shrinks that fast (not sure how fast that process is).

I sometimes put glue into the edges where the rubber is coming up, get the glue in there and put the racket under books. I used to spread it in with a business card. But the last times I did it, I just pulled the rubber that was coming up away a little and dripped the glue in.

Once the glue is in, put something heavy on the blade face like a few books.

But taking the rubber off and regluing makes sense, especially if you can’t get all the edges glued so there are no air pockets.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Your fingers are wrapped around th handle and practically hitting the base of your thumb. My fingers are nowhere near my thumb.

My hand is wider, thicker than yours. But I am not sure bigger is the correct word.

Take a photo with your hand on your Viscaria's blade face. Have the base of your wrist lined up with the bottom edge of your rubber. Like this:

cache.php

This blade has the same sized head as a Viscaria. Let's see how long or short your fingers are.

BTW, measuring from the base of my wrist to the tip of my middle finger (longest finger) is 6.5 inches or 165mm.

Here's mine:

IMG_7760.jpg

7.6 inches / 193mm

Skinnier with long skinny fingers!

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
And the original beast mod thread:

https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?9048-Re-Building-the-BEAST

There is some info in there about why a handle heavy racket may be better for your wrist. :)

Thank you again, great thread!

I also think it's a head heavy racket that's rough of my wrist. If the weight is more toward the handle or balanced, I don't feel it as much or notice it at all. It makes sense after all, it's the head that swings, the handle stays in your hand.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Now it is time to start doing wrist strengthening exercises but also time to really relax your grip much more. I can actually pull my three fingers off the handle, almost like how one would serve and still hit my FH fine. Which is why the fingers come off the handle sometimes for me.