Juniors being mistreated in local league by grumpy senior players

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Timo Boll has had similar experiences as well. From his book:

bollbuch.jpg

Translates to:
At the league matches, Timo was an attraction, a little table tennis price. However, he can remember a few exceptions. Once after an older player wasn't able to return his backspin service, he screamed "Sch*** little kid-serves". Timo remembers a second incident, upon which another older player screamed, "Now, I'm losing against this little sh**head".

Reactions: Suga D

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
I also rage and complain, but not about youngsters - it's the seniors (i.e. people my age) who cba to serve legally, use anti-spin rubbers, and think that any shot which reaches your end without bouncing three times is a bad shot. That, and the appalling "venues" we often get to play in, and the lack of hospitality, and the length of time that matches go on for. There's plenty to have a good, satisfying moan about without discouraging the young players who we ought to be encouraging !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
from coaches side, I don't like juniors playing in senior leagues
There is a reason why kids are kids and adults are adults (or need to be one)

Unfortunately, in lots of table tennis countries, the club structure is so weak for junior level, so juniors need to play in seniors league.

I once witness an old grumpy man making all kinds of tricks, the opposition team (both team are of the same club) got upset
One of the guys (adult) got into a verbal alteration with the old man and guess what, that was the last time he was in the sport.
TT is already so small, maybe at amateur level, it is too unmaturely competitive if I can call it that.
Kids come in - you chase them away?

Yes, I know you need to make kids strong, but certain methods are close to abuse

says what [IMG]
Out in Korea when I met my senior mentor in an important competition, everybody knew I was strong enough to challenge him this time, then, his girlfriend came and gently reminded me to respect who taught me the game. That made me think about what should I do during the game. At the end I beat him but my mentor came and hugged me after the game and told me he is happy his ward has come of age. It was the best feeling !!!

His girlfriend had to come out and subtly intimidate/guilt you into taking it easy with him?

That's rich! At least he trained you well enough.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2017
Well-taught children are the future of table tennis, if table tennis is to be taken seriously as a globally recognized sport. And they should be taught table tennis etiquette as well as table tennis technique, lest the less charming aspects of their personalities come to the fore during a match and carry on even into adulthood, continuing into old age (at 75, a subject about which I know a little something).

I'm not sure that curmudgeonly old sods and impressionable young children should be playing table tennis against one another on a regular basis, but it's a valuable lesson to be reinforced that whether old or young you're not going to win all the time, and win or lose you should be a good sport. This should not seemingly be too much to ask, but as an American formerly playing in tournaments I have seen more examples of ill-mannered behavior (among the kids, excessive CHO!ing after every point they win or their opponent loses) and among oldsters (serving out of their hands, sore losing, stating the score in their favor) than should be tolerated in a sport which has yet to get global attention.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
It happened to me once or twice long long ago when I was a junior and I took a lot of satisfaction from it.

In the US the complaint I hear most is that juniors are often improving so fast that their ratings are below their true level, so they wipe up in ratings events. I don't play many tournaments now, and the ones I do play in are local and are all open events, so it doesn't come up for me.

Fundamentally, if you lose to someone better, well that's what happened.
I am one of those juniors. I am the cause of some old guys broken rackets. The thing is, kids and adults should be kept seperate. I feel sometimes it's insulting to the sport when a 15 year old who goes to the gym 4 days a week like me has close matches with a 300 pound 60 year old with junk rubber who doesn't move an inch. My club is not very kid friendly. In fact during a league, one guy smacked the ball at me when I choed at deuce in the 4th game. All the time, middle-aged guys complain that I cheat when I beat them or they start serving so illegally and then get really mad when I call a let and then i get reprimanded for poor sportsmanship by the club owner.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Last Friday, I helped out at a local junior tournament, for non-league players. We had about 17 under 12s, and a handful of under 18s. It was a lot of fun, first and foremost. There was one 6 year old who had a killer forehand. Really. He just hadn't quite worked out when not to use it, so missed a lot of shots that should have been on his backhand. But if he develops a strong BH, he'll be a challenge.

The only downside is that he was wearing a football shirt, obviously a Messi fan, and also plays football, which is much more visible in this country. That is what will take his attention in coming years, unless table tennis can hold onto him.

Incidentally, umpiring these matches is not easy. The kids tend to play on at a pace, almost like they are living in a different time frame to an oldie like me.

Same in the U.S. However, I gave up football (american) and ski racing for table tennis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2017
I am one of those juniors. I am the cause of some old guys broken rackets. The thing is, kids and adults should be kept seperate. I feel sometimes it's insulting to the sport when a 15 year old who goes to the gym 4 days a week like me has close matches with a 300 pound 60 year old with junk rubber who doesn't move an inch. My club is not very kid friendly. In fact during a league, one guy smacked the ball at me when I choed at deuce in the 4th game. All the time, middle-aged guys complain that I cheat when I beat them or they start serving so illegally and then get really mad when I call a let and then i get reprimanded for poor sportsmanship by the club owner.

You raise some legitimate points, Lermanator. If the older players at the Cleveland, Ohio tt club had not been willing to encourage me and practice with me, a 19 year old novice to competitive table tennis as it was played back in the early 1960s with hard rubber rackets, I might have concluded oh the hell with it, continued with tennis as my favorite racquet sport, and in time have become a self-taught 4.5 level tennis player instead of the 4.25 level tennis player I ended up as (a rating of 7.0 points is that of a professional).

Now it seems as though older players and younger players are coming at one another from different universes. And the results are not altogether pretty. Older players complain that younger players with superior reflexes, access to training that was pretty much nonexistent when they started to play, whip them regularly, even if only age 10, despite their years of experience but lack of coaching.

Younger players complain with some credence that older players neither understand nor respect that they are the future of the sport, and if well behaved and sportsman (or sportswoman)- or sportsboy and sportsgirl-like they should be welcomed to table tennis, not discouraged from playing it.

The dilemma of who respects whom is further compounded by the fact that most older players do not have the footwork or stroke technique, if indeed they ever had, or the reflexes that younger players do. Thus antispin and long pipped rubbers, the "junk" rubbers so bewildering and discouraging to younger players not yet used to coping with them. You are not going to find many 60+ year old players using Tenergy, Hurricane, Bluefire, or any spring sponge rubber. Older players may be slower afoot, lacking a forehand loop kill or chiquita flip or forcing return of a forehand loose grip pendulum serve, but they're not stupid, and they are only too well aware of their table tennis limitations.

Reactions: Lermanator
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017

I’m curious: do you think those people would start behaving if you filmed your games?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
I’m curious: do you think those people would start behaving if you filmed your games?

I've been recording matches for years, and there does not seem to be any correlation between behaviour during a match and being filmed, imho. Most people seem to pretty oblivious to anything else when playing and behave same way regardless.