Help deciding on parts for a new bat

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
My forehand seemed like it had enough spin to manae for chops; but lacked speed to help push my sidespin loops; whereas my backhand purely lacked spin.

This is a matter of technique. But it also might indicate that that a slightly softer rubber of the same basic kind might be useful.

Vega Pro is not very hard. But if you want softer, you could get Vega Europe. It is a little softer. That may work for you.

Based on what you said about your BH you could also get Vega Pro on FH and Vega Europe on BH.

Regardless of which rubber you use, the thickness is a choice. I feel that, if you want to learn to improve your level of spin and increase your level of play, in the long run you are better off with the thicker options.

If you make more direct contact and are not interested in the higher level techniques that lead to exponentially more spin, then thinner is fine.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
You have a very good bat. Definitely keep the blade.

If I were you, I would buy more of the same for rubbers (Mark V -- maybe you've got the softer version atm, you could go with the normal). But I am not you and among your suggestions Vega Pro in under 2.0mm will be a good choice.

Enjoy TT with your new setup!

Can I make a small suggestion? Fix your grip so that your middle finger is completely off the paddle face, and instead lies gently with the other two on the handle. This is crucial, and in fact you've already noted that it's stuck in an uncomfortable place at the moment.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Hmm I see... to be honest I wouldnt be able to decide on which side I falter to- sort of both to be honest... Don't have a "concrete" playstyle yet given im still new(ish) so
Id probably not want that much of a catapult effect so as to not be able to control my hits, though I'm assuming im simply overthinking that...
Compared to the Mark V; the FX-P has a softer sponge, and the Vega Pro has a harder sponge- but the Vega Pro is slightly faster than the FX-P.

Starting to think I should go Vega Pro on my forehand and FX-S/P/EL-S/Vega EU on my backhand...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
You have a very good bat. Definitely keep the blade.

If I were you, I would buy more of the same for rubbers (Mark V -- maybe you've got the softer version atm, you could go with the normal). But I am not you and among your suggestions Vega Pro in under 2.0mm will be a good choice.

Enjoy TT with your new setup!

Can I make a small suggestion? Fix your grip so that your middle finger is completely off the paddle face, and instead lies gently with the other two on the handle. This is crucial, and in fact you've already noted that it's stuck in an uncomfortable place at the moment.

I am using the Mark V, not the softer vers atm.
That vers itself seems slightly lacking, and I'd like to use something similar that simply enhances the speed and spin- thus looking at the Xiom vega series or Timbhar Evolution series.

As for my finger angle- i'd love to change it but it naturally fixiates into suchh a position, and I've gotten used to it. Its how I used to play back as a kid about 10 yrs ago, and naturally decided to pick up TT again in a similar manner recently. Its helped me add additional sidespin into my shots, and completely control my angles; but I suffer in regards to returning smashes in time as my hand position sets my bat in unusual angles- and also hinders the power I can put behind shots

It'd be quite a long run feat to change my grip...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Starting to think I should go Vega Pro on my forehand and FX-S/P/EL-S/Vega EU on my backhand...

Whatever you do, do not do this. If you do not choose the same exact rubber on FH and BH you could choose Vega Pro FH and Vega Europe BH.

You are also over thinking this. Harder sponge DOES NOT MEAN FASTER. That is a mistake. A harder sponge from a different rubber is not necessarily faster and could be slower. Different rubbers use different sponges.

Vega and Evolution are very different rubbers. If you mix and match the way you are thinking, it will not be a good idea for how your two wings develop.

Just get the same rubber on both sides. Vega Pro is not hard. I am not sure where you got that. And It is NOT as fast or as spinny as FX-P. But it is a very good rubber for people your level because it is easy to control. The softness of FX-P makes it possible to control. But don't be fooled, this is 5 steps up from Mark V and Vega Pro is 1 step up. Go simple.

So many people at your level try and rationalize what would be good for FH and what would be good for BH and make foolish choices. There is no reason to get different rubbers for each side. Just choose one of those rubbers and get the same for both sides. Again, if you want softer, Vega Europe. Maybe you should just get that for both sides.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Your grip itself, I am not so sure there is a problem with it, in and of itself. But if you are locked into that grip and your grip never adjusts, then there is a problem. Your grip should be relaxed enough for it to change a little at a time for each different shot. This should happen without you realizing it or thinking about it.

You should be able to open your wrist and racket for a fade loop. You should be able to do what you are already doing for a hook loop. If you are stuck with a hook loop all the time, it means you need to relax your grip.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Could I ask for some background on as to why FX-P would be better for a compact looper and the latter with Vega Pro?

I can say this about FX-P.

You can spin all day, keep it on the table, and even play successful soft topspin defense. That counts for a lot.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Carl, don't tell him he is over thinking it.

TT equipment makers and re-sellers absolutely LOVE IT when players try to dissect every bit of company provided and analyze it to the point of ging into a trance and coming out of it with 16 new TT purchases.

TTD forums only make it easier, it is feeding the troll of business at its best.

On a personal level, I believe you are absolutely correct. A sound analysis and simple solutions with easy to understand plays are usually effective.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Cali, you can learn a lot in a forum and avoid some common mistakes. That part of forming is great.
At some point, you have to personally try stuff out... and even then, it may takes years of experience and development before we know our arse from our toes about equipment.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Thanks so much for all this- and yes I'm simply trying to make a decision that I wouldn't regret.

Got some further clarification with some friends at my venue; and I will be going forward with the Vega Pro on both sides at 2.00mm rather than Max-- seems like the better option than to go 2 different rubbers especially given how I'm playing atm.

(In terms of my grip, it is completely flexible, thus allows for a variation of spins and angles for different shots; but the only grip I never come to is a firm grip that is the standard playstyle- its simply uncomfortable to be in-- I might at times while backhand rallying, but aside from that, never. Might start practicing playing with a firm grip aswell with the new bat as I feel it'd help-- but that'll take time to see how it goes)

Again, thanks for everything :)

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, as long as you understand that those fingers should not do much to hold the handle in the first place. Those three fingers should really be relaxed. The important part of how you hold the racket is that the index finger and thumb gently hold the blade face. If you do that right, the other fingers don't even need to be on the handle.