Which is the best blade for chinese rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
There're too many blades that can go well with Chinese rubbers. It all depends on your style.

For example attacker close to the table might want something hard and linear such as viscaria, hard 7-ply and traditional carbon blades.

For mid table loopers they might want a bit more flex such as Long V, Rosewood V or other wooden blades with good flex.

Passionate about TT

Reactions: BeGo
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

I could not resist this.

Best: well, what one person feels is best is different from what another person will feel is best. So the answers you will get will have to actually reflect more the range of tastes of what different people like.

So, perhaps rokphish’s answer is the ideal one. Which one? Mine! All 900 of them! [emoji2]

But, despite this, it is also worth knowing that the TT EJ Myth that certain blades work better with certain rubbers just isn’t true. The blade does what it does. The rubbers do what they do.

When someone tries a setup and likes it or doesn’t like it, that experience will be influenced by what the player is already using.

I will give you some examples:

1) If you were using a very slow setup, like Stiga Allround Classic with Sriver, and then you tried a Viscaria with Tenergy, it would feel CRAZY FAST. But Allround Classic + Sriver would feel a normal speed.

2) If you then played with Viscaria + Tenergy for 6 months to a year and tried the Allround Classic + Sriver, you would think it outrageously slow. Even though a year ago it felt the right speed.

3) If you were used to H3 and tried Tenergy, you would probably think it was too bouncy and you felt the vibrations of the blade too much on contact.

4) If you were used to Tenergy and tried H3 you would probably think it felt, slow, dead and that the feeling was muted.

Sometimes you feel a pair of rubbers on one blade and then you feel them on another blade and they feel different. However, they still do the same things they do. The topsheet still grabs in the same way. The sponge still responds in the same way. The setup just feels different than you expected.

If you at first thought that was no good but then played with the setup for several months, and then went back to the old setup, it would likely feel different than you were expecting. And perhaps not as good as you thought it would.

I used to work in this yoga studio that had Hot Yoga. People would walk into the lobby from outside and invariably say, “it’s hot in here.” They would go into the heated yoga room to take the class, and they would say, “it’s hot in here.” After the class They would go out of the yoga room and into the lobby and say, “It’s COLD out here!!!!”

Now, was it hot in the lobby? Or was it cold? Why did they first feel it was hot and later feel it was cold? The temperature in the lobby did not change; But their experience of the temperature did change.

Chinese rubbers work on all blades. And there are many different kinds of “Chinese” rubbers. Which blade will you like best? Which kind of Chinese rubbers would work best for you? The kind that are made to play like spring sponge rubbers? Or semi-tacky? Tacky? Hard sponge? What kinds of blades do you like? All wood? Carbon? Faster? Slower? Harder outer plies? Soft outer plies? Sooooo many variables.

The answers to these questions all come down to personal preference and there really is no such thing as best when it comes to personal taste.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Mine... My precious...

Never!!!

Mine is the bestest of the best!!!
[Emoji2]

I could not resist this.

Best: well, what one person feels is best is different from what another person will feel is best. So the answers you will get will have to actually reflect more the range of tastes of what different people like.

So, perhaps rokphish’s answer is the ideal one. Which one? Mine! All 900 of them! [emoji2]

But, despite this, it is also worth knowing that the TT EJ Myth that certain blades work better with certain rubbers just isn’t true. The blade does what it does. The rubbers do what they do.

When someone tries a setup and likes it or doesn’t like it, that experience will be influenced by what the player is already using.

I will give you some examples:

1) If you were using a very slow setup, like Stiga Allround Classic with Sriver, and then you tried a Viscaria with Tenergy, it would feel CRAZY FAST. But Allround Classic + Sriver would feel a normal speed.

2) If you then played with Viscaria + Tenergy for 6 months to a year and tried the Allround Classic + Sriver, you would think it outrageously slow. Even though a year ago it felt the right speed.

3) If you were used to H3 and tried Tenergy, you would probably think it was too bouncy and you felt the vibrations of the blade too much on contact.

4) If you were used to Tenergy and tried H3 you would probably think it felt, slow, dead and that the feeling was muted.

Sometimes you feel a pair of rubbers on one blade and then you feel them on another blade and they feel different. However, they still do the same things they do. The topsheet still grabs in the same way. The sponge still responds in the same way. The setup just feels different than you expected.

If you at first thought that was no good but then played with the setup for several months, and then went back to the old setup, it would likely feel different than you were expecting. And perhaps not as good as you thought it would.

I used to work in this yoga studio that had Hot Yoga. People would walk into the lobby from outside and invariably say, “it’s hot in here.” They would go into the heated yoga room to take the class, and they would say, “it’s hot in here.” After the class They would go out of the yoga room and into the lobby and say, “It’s COLD out here!!!!”

Now, was it hot in the lobby? Or was it cold? Why did they first feel it was hot and later feel it was cold? The temperature in the lobby did not change; But their experience of the temperature did change.

Chinese rubbers work on all blades. And there are many different kinds of “Chinese” rubbers. Which blade will you like best? Which kind of Chinese rubbers would work best for you? The kind that are made to play like spring sponge rubbers? Or semi-tacky? Tacky? Hard sponge? What kinds of blades do you like? All wood? Carbon? Faster? Slower? Harder outer plies? Soft outer plies? Sooooo many variables.

The answers to these questions all come down to personal preference and there really is no such thing as best when it comes to personal taste.

Well explained. Thanks for this great post.
Actually I wanted to start a fake arguement with Rok that mine feel better than his, but your post blew it, 'cause it was just too good.
[Emoji6]

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well explained. Thanks for this great post.
Actually I wanted to start a fake arguement with Rok that mine feel better than his, but your post blew it, 'cause it was just too good.
[Emoji6]

Perhaps also because rok likely has your blade, or, maybe all or your blades, and 885 more to boot. Hahaha.

rokphish, can you post a photo of a small sample of some of the blades you have not gotten around to trying yet?

Hahahaha.

Mine... My precious...

Reactions: BeGo and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Perhaps also because rok likely has your blade, or, maybe all or your blades, and 885 more to boot. Hahaha.

rokphish, can you post a photo of a small sample of some of the blades you have not gotten around to trying yet?

Hahahaha.

Hahaha. You obviously didn't get my joke. Nevermind!
[Emoji2]
You're probably right, though i never seen him post a photo of an old Nittaku blade yet, but maybe he's just not into collecting “vintage“ Nittaku blades...
[Emoji6]
But then again, Rok and Turbo Z together probably own half of the worlds wood ressources...
[Emoji23]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Seriously??
2003013-godzilla_facepalm_godzilla_facepalm_face_palm_epic_fail_demotivational_poster_1245384435.jpg

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Best blade dont depend rubber but your game ;)

What about ZLC blades?

If you understand panany’s post and my post you should have your answer.

But since both posts are there and you are still asking, I will give you an answer.

If the ZLC blade is good for your game....well, do I need to say the rest????

If the ZLC blade is good for your game it will work with whatever rubbers you choose to put on it.

Reactions: BeGo and Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think that the best blade for a chinese rubber is a chinese blade, at least 95% sure!

This really is too funny though. I have been laughing for at least 5 min straight from this post.

I think it has to do with the way they grow the Chinese trees and the way they grow the Chinese rubber. And of course you need Chinese edge tape too.

But I am 95% sure langel is yanking our chains and trolling us. Hahahaha.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I used to have various old blades including Nittaku but let it go years ago). I still have several Butterfly's old blades.

As requested, here's a few recent photos. More on my instagram: rokphishtt
I post new photo every Sunday night (my time).

Hope you enjoy some of these:

e10b45a02acf2c9fbd2de9ff72bc33ef.jpg

161bb1169da20c00e58765bba5e52b8c.jpg

762a570e56654843d0b4b6f7c14f7d2f.jpg

d50fecb3e2b2d4352f66a8fea2c29897.jpg

df3e2de79e801ee41ec6df4d1ac21608.jpg

8f4a7f2705d56823f5e4a21bc1f6b243.jpg

db2e19b64df46961a1f48bb6a65b3ca3.jpg

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I used to have various old blades including Nittaku but let it go years ago). I still have several Butterfly's old blades.

As requested, here's a few recent photos. More on my instagram: rokphishtt
I post new photo every Sunday night (my time).

Hope you enjoy some of these:

cache.php

cache.php

cache.php

cache.php

cache.php

cache.php

cache.php

You really do capture something unique and creative with your photos. Thanks rok!

I am going to follow you on Instagram.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo and ttmonster