TTD Member Country: England
      Equipment:
      Blade Timo Boll Alc
      Forehand Rubber Tenergy 05
      Backhand Rubber Tenergy 64

Reviews
      Read 4 Reviews
      Liked 101 Times in 43 Posts
      Try and build pressure by making them make mistakes not giving cheap easy points.

3. The Following User Likes Thomas Jeffcott's Post:

Ilia Minkin (2 Weeks Ago)

4. Top | #23
      says You don't mess with my status!

Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

Equipment:
      Blade Ovtcharov True Carbon FL
      Forehand Rubber Vega Pro 2.0
      Backhand Rubber Vega Pro 2.0

Reviews
      Read 14 Reviews
      Liked 8,403 Times in 3,685 Posts
      To beat a player much better than You, in my experience, they need to have something fundamentally wrong with their game at the level they play at. Wrong means imbalanced. Like a Xu Xin type game with dominant forehand play or long pips chopper where the ball slows down making you comfortable. Or they can't return one of your serves well enough because it is their first time seeing it and they can't psychologically get a handle on what to do.

This stuff gets harder to find when you get past 2200 USATT.

5. The Following 2 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

anchorschmidt (2 Weeks Ago),UpSideDownCarl (2 Weeks Ago)

6. Top | #24
      This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member Country: Japan

Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Korbel
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 80
      Backhand Rubber Butterfly Spin Art

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1,310 Times in 578 Posts
      Each match is different. First one can face a stronger player that you've played several times and beaten you already many times or a stronger player but you've never ever played together.

Against a player who's beaten you so many times, the first thing is to show him you are not afraid AND really be not afraid. Because normally he would have a psychological advantage so you must fight against that. Then remember this opponent weaknesses what worked last time and what didn't and construct the plan, try to play differently than when losing last times...

Against a player who doesn't know you, its a good idea that he DOESN'T get immediately he's much better than you. So show him you are not impressed. If you make a really good winner, don't over-celebrate or be surprised by your own shot but make it understand you can do it all the time, (and the best way is to try the same shot again)... If he's not immediately in the match you can get an early lead, and with a bit of luck hopefully get that 1st set which would put pressure on him...

Recently i beat a player, who had beaten me for 10 years 3-0... and he was leading 2-0. But I was pumped up on that day and came back. I found out a serve that he really didn't like and kept doing it till the end...and i played 3rd ball attack all the time behind it. But maybe he wasn't so much better than me, it was more me failing all that time.

In another recent tournament, i encountered some players which were really more than 200-300 points above. I didn't win, but I really gave a good fight. Be able to serve/receive correctly and move well all the time is the more important. because these are the basics and without it, we give away too many cheap points. then I decide from time to time to go for strong shots. I remember going for 2-3 big pivot countertopspins at the table against the guy which really surprised him (and me !). I can't do it on every point... i'd go for the agressive BH block normally but i had to take this kind of risk to win. When scoring 2-3 good points in a set and not making easy mistakes the pressure can change and the opponent can start to make mistakes. If this kind of player has a 3 point lead usually its over. I think when facing better players , of course we face that extra spin, extra speed, extra bit of everything, but the MOST important thing to adapt is not our shots but our mind. Be mentally ready to see the ball come back a bit quicker and go back in position fast to play actively the next ball is the most difficult. Because the ball is not heavy and anyone can hit the ball hard.

7. The Following User Likes Takkyu_wa_inochi's Post:

maar (2 Weeks Ago)

8. Top | #25
      This user has no status.

TTD Member Country: United States

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
      I would play with my coach. He is rated 2500 US. I had NO CHANCE but I found relative weakness in his game. His big advantage was speed and consistency. My advantage was reach, some wicked serves, and the ability to play close to the net because of my reach and his lack of reach. Hitting balls long was inviting trouble since he could loop kill just about any long ball that went long so I concentrated on keeping the ball short with occasional deep shots when he leaned over the table. You have to think in terms of keeping the ball away from the middle of the table. My coach would always win a normal match but he would screw around. Sometime he let me get 9 points or deuce before winning. To keep him from screwing around I made him play handicap games so he had to be serious. I won every game when I got a 6 ball handicap but he would win most with a 5 ball handicap. A lot of this was due to my serves and 3rd ball attack if he did get the ball back. It seemed I was always guaranteed to get a certain number of points due to my serves. If the rally went beyond my planned sequence I was generally doomed because there would be a ball he could loop kill if not out right slam.

OK, I know I had NO CHANCE but I had my bread and butter strategy and relative strengths that I tried to maximize. What else can someone do?

Everyone must have what they consider their best shots. You have to try to maximize the opportunity to use your best shot.
      Having a number of good serves and follow up shots is vital.

BTW, I have a pretty good FH counter hit but it was useless against the coach. If the ball got moving that fast I was doomed.
      I always got the chance to do a good serve and the coach had no say. I could only screw it up.

BTW, I agree with those above that say you must play aggressively to try to make the same quality shots that others make at his level. Anything else is just giving up.

9. The Following User Likes brokenball's Post:

ajtatosmano2 (2 Weeks Ago)

10. Top | #26
      This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member Country: United States

Equipment:
      Blade Homemade 5-ply blade
      Forehand Rubber Yasaka Rakza 7 soft
      Backhand Rubber 388D OX

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 213 Times in 120 Posts
      I think the OP is about how you play a higher rating player in a TOURNAMENT. Playing your coach or friendly match doesn't count.

As said by many people, luck is important. Rating has its true meaning, it means lower rating has a hard chance to beat a higher rating. So you are asking how to win in an uphill battle. Without calmness, determination, consistent shots, solid skill, and knowing how to exploit the higher rating plater's weakness the chance is very slim. Isn't table tennis all about chances?

11. The Following User Likes tropical's Post:

UpSideDownCarl (2 Weeks Ago)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12