• Join our newsletter: 
  • Welcome Guest

View Poll Results: Who do you think will win the World Cup 2017?

Voters
    312. This poll is closed
    • Ma Long

193 61.86%
    • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

21 6.73%
    • Jun Mizutani

8 2.56%
    • Timo Boll

69 22.12%
    • Koki Niwa

4 1.28%
    • Lee Sang Su

2 0.64%
    • Chuang Chih Yuan

0 0%
    • Simon Gauzy

2 0.64%
    • Marcos Freitas

3 0.96%
    • Other (Post Below)

10 3.21%
    Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
    1. Top | #241
      This user has no status.

Equipment Expert
      Elite TTD Member Country: Denmark
      Equipment:
      Blade DHS W968 2nd edition
      Forehand Rubber BH: Butterfly 05
      Backhand Rubber FH: Hurricane 3 Prov NEO

Reviews
      Read 17 Reviews
      Liked 1,015 Times in 495 Posts
      Wow what a tournament! A lot of 7 game matches and Timo who showed to be in an awesome shape at his age! Still biting nails after the crucial matches.
      Spare setup: Blade: Custom DHS W968 93.5g, FH: Hurricane 3 National BS (Black), BH: Tenergy 64 (Red) Blade: Custom DHS W997 92.5g, FH: Hurricane 3 National BS (Black), BH: Tenergy 05 (Red)

2. The Following User Likes Giangt's Post:

TTHopeful (4 Hours Ago)

3. Top | #242
      says Kim Jung Hoon with Nexy Karis
      M is a lot of fun to play with

Equipment Expert
      Super Moderator Country: United States
      Equipment:
      Blade Tibhar/Nexy Kim Jung Hoon
      Forehand Rubber BH:Red Nexy Karis M
      Backhand Rubber FH:Black Nexy Karis M

Reviews
      Read 11 Reviews
      Liked 11,176 Times in 5,368 Posts

Men's World Cup 2017

First off: congratulations to Dima and Timo.

Second: I do think this is good for the sport of table tennis as a whole.

Third: I think this shows how the moves the Chinese government made—in regards to the organization of the CNT coaching—have been helpful to the sport as a whole even if, this result was inadvertent.

By making decisions that truly hurt the CNT, the Chinese government may have helped make table tennis a little more interesting to fans from all over the world.

I feel for the players of the CNT though. It seems to me, without the amazing coaching they had while Liu Gouliang was the head coach, the overall play of the top players seems to be suffering. Perhaps it is a short term thing and the CNT will right itself. But it is hard to say.

FZD did not seem up to his usual standard in the finals of the Asian Cup where he lost to LGY either.

We can look at these things and think FZD had a bad day and ML and Lin Gaoyuan had bad days against Timo as well.

This may be true. History will tell the full tale in the coming years.

But I remember when Mike Tyson was convinced he was so good he did not need a good coaching staff and trainer and fired Kevin Rooney, only to watch his boxing skills rapidly slip and his corner of yes men unable to coach him out of tight battles. Against Buster Douglass they were so unprepared for Tyson’s opponent to put up a real fight that they did not have the standard tools (Enswell) for keeping the swelling of his eyes down.

It seems to me the Chinese government may have underestimated the importance of the coaching staff in the shifts they made in the recent past.

I feel for the CNT players but hope this is good for the sport in the long run for China to have to rebuild a little and for the rest of the world to see that China is not simply invincible.

And I do think that if Tyson had kept his original corner, he could have gone down as the greatest heavyweight of all times. But his decisions about coaching and his overconfidence about his skills without realizing how important his coaching and training had been caused his downfall.

Let’s hope the example of the CNT coaching staff that was dismissed ultimately helps the whole table tennis world improve their level.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy
      Last edited by UpSideDownCarl; 16 Hours Ago at 08:29 PM.
      Spin Everything.

4. The Following 13 Users Like UpSideDownCarl's Post:

anchorschmidt (14 Hours Ago),bobpuls (8 Hours Ago),Boogar (17 Hours Ago),drunix80 (12 Hours Ago),Giangt (18 Hours Ago),jedimasterplk (17 Hours Ago),JesperStef (18 Hours Ago),lgreggs (5 Hours Ago),matzreenzi (18 Hours Ago),RidTheKid (17 Hours Ago),Suga D (14 Hours Ago),TTFrenzy (18 Hours Ago),ttmonster (14 Hours Ago)

5. Top | #243
      This user has no status.

TTD Member Country: Slovak Republic

Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Carbonado 45
      Forehand Rubber Andro Rasant Power Grip
      Backhand Rubber Andro Rasant Grip

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
      What a great day for European table tennis. Great matches, very entertaining tournament. For me, it would have been pure perfection if Timo went all the way, he really did the hardest work, but I don't mind Dima winning, it was highly probable that he will have more strength left.

6. The Following 3 Users Like The_Edge's Post:

anchorschmidt (14 Hours Ago),TTFrenzy (17 Hours Ago),UpSideDownCarl (16 Hours Ago)

7. Top | #244
      This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member Country: New Zealand
      Equipment:
      Blade DHS Hurricane Long V - penhold
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 National BS
      Backhand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 403 Times in 240 Posts
      A truly German victory. I hope it will cause a surge in popularity in TT worldwide.

It is good for the sport as a whole

Passionate about TT

8. The Following User Likes SFF_lib's Post:

UpSideDownCarl (14 Hours Ago)

9. Top | #245
      This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member Country: United States

Equipment:
      Blade Homemade 5-ply blade
      Forehand Rubber Yasaka Rakza 7 soft
      Backhand Rubber 388D OX

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 213 Times in 120 Posts
      The Chinese TT organization learned its lesson the hard way! Very few people can think anyone besides ML could win the tournament, except hardcore fans to certain players. I only watched ML played against Niwa and noticed he was so lousy. Even so Timo must play his best to beat ML. Too much lecturing from the communist government didn't do ML any good!

10. The Following 2 Users Like tropical's Post:

drunix80 (12 Hours Ago),UpSideDownCarl (14 Hours Ago)

11. Top | #246
      This user has no status.

Established TTD Member Country: Belgium
      Equipment:
      Blade 68g prototype OFF-
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 80
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Vega Pro

Reviews
      Read 1 Reviews
      Liked 150 Times in 85 Posts
      Awesome to see Timo Boll beat Ma Long in real life. Noone in the stadium really saw it coming. The vibrance, drama and the huge crowd support made this match worthy of the final for me! After this match pretty much everyone was rooting for Timo in the finals, but in the last games vs ovtcharov, we saw the toll his crazy matches agains the chinese players were taking. Timo was missing more shots and lacked some punch, while Dima was still going strong. Timo Boll = winner of the tournament for me.

I allso really enjoyed watching Simon Gauzy! Dima's speed (especially on backhand shots) was amazing, but the much younger Gauzy has a very nice style, with strawberry flicks and slow spinny returns just over the net. I felt in both his matches against Dima and Ma Long, he played very intelligent (i think he made at least 5 points against Ma Long with the same strategy), but he made too many service mistakes and was sometimes just overpowered with brute force. I hope to see more of the french player in the future!
      Currently working on lightweight, offensive blades with all-wood feeling.

12. The Following 3 Users Like MDP's Post:

Boogar (59 Minutes Ago),doraemon (4 Hours Ago),jedimasterplk (3 Hours Ago)

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213