Who do you think will win the World Cup 2017?

• Ma Long

Votes: 37 67.3%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Jun Mizutani

• Timo Boll

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Koki Niwa

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Lee Sang Su

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chuang Chih Yuan

• Simon Gauzy

• Marcos Freitas

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other (Post Below)

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Someone said he uses both Tenergy and H3 depending on temperament. This is a good observation as he usually doesn't twiddle when using H3 on both sides. He is restricted to more spinny smashes when he doesn't.

The only way to be 100 per cent sure is to get photos from the official ITTF guy who checks the bats at tournaments. So we basically need an insider. I'm sure Dan from TTD could pull a few strings...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I noticed that as well but my conclusion is still red H3 since it has a softer sponge, plus the arc is quite low on his first set counter loops, not the typical T05 arc.

Is MA LONG using Tenergy on his backhand?

I noticed a few times at this comp that he switched to his red rubber when smashing lobs. Fang Bo and a few other top Chinese players do the same thing and they use red Tenergy on Their backhands. Its better for smashing. A lot of people on this sight claim ML uses Hurricane red 37 degrees on backhand. Has anybody got any recent photos of his rubber? I only ever see the black forehand side in pictures.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
On the other hand - as I read all this about Liu Guoliang,. . is it like - the answer for question:
- Why are the chinese best?
Should not be, that they train so hard, the system is that good, the aproach etc etc..
The answer should just be: Because they have Liu Guoliang .. right?

Well, the CNT still have the best and most systematic training regimen.

They start training players at a younger age.

The scout talent earlier.

But perhaps I need to clarify what I was saying about the change in coaching combined with the fact that ML, XX and FZD have not played very much since they withdrew from the China Open in protest of what the government did to the coaching staff of the CNT.

From a technical standpoint, the CNT players are still the best in the world.

1) With some injuries;
2) The quality of training that had been present for years;
3) The new coaching assignments that the top players are not as familiar with; And
4) The fact that CNT top players have not played all that many competitive tournaments since the China Open:

Something is a bit off that has definitely caused ML and, in his last tournament, FZD, to play at a much lower level than we have come to expect.

If you took any one of those things separately, it may not have been such a big deal. Perhaps the shift in coaching staff was the biggest issue. But when you combine all four issues, the CNT has appeared to struggle since June.

The coaches who replaced LGL, I am sure that they are also excellent coaches. But an excellent coach with a different system or philosophy....well, sometimes that will show instant results of a positive nature. But more often, the players need a 6 months to a year to get used to the new coaching.

We’re LGL and the old CNT coaching assignments better for the CNT? Time will tell. Has the new coaching been effective thus far? I have to think that the old coaching staff would have been more successful at helping ML and LGY rise to the occasion in those tight matches.

6 months from now, the new coaching staff may have that under control. But some of this may also have to do with how strong the relationship, the connection, between the top players and their former coaches was.

Was LGL sort of like a surrogate father figure for ML?

Is ML motivated to rise to the occasion for the new coaches? How about other CNT members who protested against the changes? Will the new coaching staff only be fully effective when they have players who were brought up under the new regime in the top slots of the CNT?

We shall see. For now, the only thing we can say for sure is that Timo Boll did beat ML and LGY and regardless of mitigating circumstances, he did a great job standing in there and pulling out those victories.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
ITTF did a close-up of Ma Long's racket before his match against Timo Boll.
Screenshot at 2017-10-25 17-41-20.jpgScreenshot at 2017-10-25 17-41-42.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/GAXt6

To me the stamping on the red rubber looks to be from DHS.

ITTV link starting around 02:32 https://tv.ittf.com/video/ma-long-boll-timo/1009887

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
ITTF did a close-up of Ma Long's racket before his match against Timo Boll.
View attachment 14491View attachment 14492

https://imgur.com/a/GAXt6

To me the stamping on the red rubber looks to be from DHS.

ITTV link starting around 02:32 https://tv.ittf.com/video/ma-long-boll-timo/1009887

DHS.jpg

For me the sponge is more like DHS.
Red rubber is thinner than the black one.
But the red topsheet is with thicker surface and shorter pimples, and they are thicker as of the first tinarc.
I think its as custom as the whole bat is.

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Looking back at this thread, I am impressed that 22% of people picked Timo to win. (Of course, who knows if they voted after they tournament was over, LOL!).

I definitely picked Ma Long.

Looking back at this thread, I am impressed that 22% of people picked Timo to win. (Of course, who knows if they voted after they tournament was over, LOL!).

I definitely picked Ma Long.

Hah, its really LOL!
Why the vote haven't been stopped after the tournement was over?
People will come after time and will be shocked by the extraordinary visionarity of the forum specs!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
View attachment 14493

For me the sponge is more like DHS.
Red rubber is thinner than the black one.
But the red topsheet is with thicker surface and shorter pimples, and they are thicker as of the first tinarc.
I think its as custom as the whole bat is.
It looks like the red is not fully glued up because it's still curling.

Passionate about TT

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Still, the only inverted I have seen before with pimples that short is Karis. Of course I know he's not using that, but still I find it interesting.