Maintaining the Mental Advantage in Table Tennis

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
Maintaining the Mental Advantage in Table Tennis

Oftentimes I have played many opponents in table tennis who are physically much better players than me. They utilize more spin, more slams, and more sure actions than my primarily defensive mechanisms. If they played consistently well with all of their different attack methods, then they would destroy me without a doubt.

Surprisingly enough, most of these players never end up as the victor at the end of at match. The reason for this, however, is easy to understand for anyone who has seriously studied the game of table tennis (or any similar competitive sport, for that matter).

While having a strong attack scheme and in-game play pattern is crucial to success, so is maintaining a mental advantage over your opponent. In fact, staying mentally strong is vital to any victory.

One of the common mistakes that many players fall prey to during a game is focusing on how many points that they think they need at the moment. They are mentally calculating how much of an advantage their current score gives them, or how many points they need to catch up in order to even out the score.

While doing this is important to stay "with" the game, these players all make the same mistake of thinking about this topic while the ball is in play. Never do this. Instead, focus only on the point in play during a game; anything else will distract you and cause you to make poor judgments during a game.

Knowing if you have a safe enough lead to experiment a little in your playing style is beneficial only if you spend your mental powers on this thought before the ball is put into play.

Another common mistake of many ping pong players is that they go into the game with either a cocky or a defeated attitude. Either outlook can be equally harmful. While it is important to evaluate your opponent's strengths and weaknesses before a match, do not automatically put yourself in a position above or below him.

Only use your evaluations to know what areas and styles of play will be beneficial for you to focus on during the game in order to maximize both your own strengths and his weaknesses.

If you enter a match with a feeling of overconfidence, then this could cause you to play a riskier game than needed and could perhaps end in you actually losing the match. Similarly enough, entering a game believing that you are sure to suffer defeat will cause you to not play as hard or try your best.

Avoid both of these mistakes by simply entering a match focusing on how to best use your playing style to defeat your opponent.

Staying mentally strong during a game can be crucial to your success. Stay focused and positive during a match in order to better your chances of winning.

Happy Playing!!! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
thats true.

and one corollary is that: too often i'm playing the same guys again and again. And i keep losing to them. Because they've beaten me so many times, even when I have a lead, i must remember all those defeats and I start choking.

I always try to be positive, and believe I'm better than I used to be and can beat those guys. But the subconcious is still here...

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
When I am down 4-10, or 6-10 or 8-10... I can always tell myself (and my doubles partner) that point number 11 is the TOUGHEST point to get and I (we) am (are) not gunna just give it to them... they gotta take it.

Often enough, the psychology described in OP's post applies and the other player (team) pisses away points trying to do something(s) they shouldn't do. I (we) just stay steady and attach the attacking chances that are high enough percentage.

I (we) don't always make deuce in those situations (hey - they odds are serious against it), but if anyone is collecting stat, they will see I (we) perform significantly better in those situations and make deuce (and have better than even chance to win) more often than the odds suggest.

It is serious important to believe yourself and your team.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
Easier said than done of course... Sometimes having a "cocky" attitude helps me when I am nervous and playing too safe. Of course I am not verbally insulting my opponent, but in my head I say "Ha! You think that was a good shot? I'm gonna show you what a good shot is you little !#?$"

Last edited:
Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021
An intense game of table tennis stimulates mental alertness and concentration and develops mental acuity. Improving reflexes. Due to the fast-paced, short-distance nature of the sport, both gross and fine muscle movements are improved.

Last edited: