Do you like to topspin, flat hit or both?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I do both depending on the ball I need to hit and where I want to hit it. Any ball that is too high where I have a clear line of sight is flat hit. Lower balls I must push or loop. I like slow spinny loops at an angle.

The #1 priority is getting the ball back on the table.
#2 is placement. I go for corners, sides and the elbow.
#3 is speed. I would like to make speed a higher priority but often it comes at the expense of placement.
I find every stroke is a trade off. Brush more and you get more spin but less speed. Flat hit more and you get speed with little or no spin.
Obviously it should depend on the situation.

For me it depands not only on ball highness, but on many other facrors - is it short or long, its rebounce trajectory and its speed, oponents distance and position, my distance and position.
Sometimes I smash, sometimes do a sharp topspin, some short higher balls I just drop or chop sharp and short if the oponent is on a distance waitng for a heavy attack. Longer higher and faster balls in a suitable FH position I prefer to return with sharp topspin mixed with a good portion of sidespin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Nice article. I play a guy pretty regularly that mixes in flat hits and topspin drives with his loops and it's very effective. He's quite a bit better than me possessing a very spiny loop and ball Quality in general that can cause problems by its self. In my experience it’s shots like this that separates mid lel and higher lel players I can exchange topspin shots with higher lel players pretty effectively but after we get into a few exchanges and they see this the change on ball quality slow spiny loops to too topspin drive, often flat hit is tricky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk