Clone Blades

Hi All,

after a very successful test of 2 Yinhe blades as recommended by users of this site (you know who you are ;)), I am considering trying more (EJ Here I come :eek:).

One thing I noticed is that people refer to a lot of Yinhe blades as "Clone" blades and this interested me somewhat. So for example I keep reading reviews of Viscaria this, ALC that, ZLC the other and the "originals" have a very hefty price tag.

Where does this clone information come from ? is there a list somewhere as I do not see anything in the Yinhe catalogue that says a particular blade is "like" something else.

Oh wise ones, please come to my aid once more :cool::cool::cool:

Reactions: thomas.pong
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
There are different degrees of cloning. Yinhe often copies Butterfly construction in terms of thickness and composition of plies in the blade but they rarely copy the way the blade looks from the outside (although at one point the did steal the OPS design). Doubleday in Taiwan used to be an OEM for Butterfly and they offer some blades that are pretty similar to Butterfly offerings. And for that matter, even companies like Tibhar and Donic now do. Imitation is the highest form of flattery.

By contrast, HRT even makes their blades look more or less exactly like the companies they are cloning (mainly Stiga), and to me at least, that crosses the line into counterfeiting.

Another difference is that Yinhe actually has a quite a few blades that are not copies of any other blade but appear to be their own designs. I have hit with some (sorry can't remember the model) that played very well and they are always affordable.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Where does this clone information come from ? is there a list somewhere as I do not see anything in the Yinhe catalogue that says a particular blade is "like" something else.

I think typically the clone reviewer reference comes from several customer reviews over time. They see that a company comes out with a blade that has the exact same wood plies as a current popular, more expensive blade. I own a Yinhe W6 and if you read around, people will say it's a Yasaka Extra Clone. It's a pretty good, slower looping blade BTW.

Other times, companies themselves will elude to the fact that it's a clone.

HRT I agree with Baal purely copies down to the T. To me that intellectual property theft and wrong. I don't think a company should be able to own what order or wood plies they use in the blade (I mean that's what we're talking about in clones here right?) but when HRT makes their handle look exactly the same, yeah that's messed up.

But then you have this Gambler penhold I'm eyeing where they say in the description that "*compares favorably to Butterfly Innerforce Layer ZLC" and because the handle is different and it's not called the Gambler ZLC or anything like that, I guess i'm okay with it. IDK. Maybe there's something wrong with my rationale. But like I said. I don't think a brand should be able to own the rights to what wood or carbon layers in a certain order so I'm okay with it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
I actually got the hrt clippers clone early on it was 15 bucks on eBay i added it on to a order. It's pretty descent blade. have not played a clipper bit is said to be slower and a not quite as hard. But I agree they take it to far. There are several blades from brand to brand that plays on a successful composition. That been happening for quite a while but straight up copying everything down to the look and handle is too far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
s there a list somewhere as I do not see anything in the Yinhe catalogue that says a particular blade is "like" something else.

A list of Yinhe and Sword blades and their Butterfly equivalents would be nice. Anyone!? ;)
I wouldn't mind trying the Yinhe or Sword "Viscarias" and ZLC's myself.

Here's an extended database of blades and their compositions for you, although Yinhe blades are unfortunately not listed:

http://stervinou.net/ttbdb/index.php

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
clone is generally targeted towards the lower tier brands, previously those brands are cheaper, but if you were to look at some of Yineh's supposly clone blades - they are maybe 60-80% the price of what it is "cloning"

top tier brands also makes blade similar to each other. The TB ALC vs Viscaria vs Gewo Force ARC, vs Xiom stradivarius (even though different material) just to name a few

The Yasaka Maxwood vs Stiga Clipper vs Yinhe U3 etc etc

Imo, all brands are copying each other in a way or another - so maybe all of them are clones?
Then how do you define original? the first one, or the most popular one?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
A list of Yinhe and Sword blades and their Butterfly equivalents would be nice. Anyone!? ;)
I wouldn't mind trying the Yinhe or Sword "Viscarias" and ZLC's myself.

Here's an extended database of blades and their compositions for you, although Yinhe blades are unfortunately not listed:

http://stervinou.net/ttbdb/index.php

just randomly remembering:

yinhe T1 - schlager carbon
yinhe T2 - primorac carbon
yinhe v14 - TB ALC
yinhe v4 - TB ZLC

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
on prott: there is a Hrt blade with should be similar to w968, does somebody have this blade, thank you very much, it cost only 55 dollar

HRT blade - Similar function as W968:

This blade is hand made by DHS retired engineer. The structure of this blade is same with W968 , 5 ply wood + 2 Pith film carbon. After many pro player trial, the feedback is the Power and control is about 90% to W968.

Attachments

• 201801040430226938.jpg
    201801040430226938.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,823
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
I'm looking for Innerforce ZLC (or better Tiago Apolonia ZLC) chinese clone blades. Only one i have found is the XVT Hinoki ZLC, but I'm looking for something maybe a little thinner and with a softer outer ply (limba for say).
Does anyone know any blades like that?