Recommended matches to watch from 2017?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
Hi,

Just looking for the most memorable table tennis matches you have seen so far i 2017. Does not matter if it is because of some spectaluar shots, high quality, some extra interesting points or even a controversy ;) Both men's and women's matches, and doubles of course. Actually I often prefer to watch women's and doubles, because it is sometimes easier to follow and more interesting to see some defenders too. Been watching some footage from ETTC and T2APAC lately, but currently my playlist is empty.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
A lot of the matches at the world championship have been pretty epic. Ovtcharov vs Niwa, FZD vs ML, Boll vs Ma Long was not so spectacular but very interesting tactics wise. XX vs LGY had a sick ending, FZD vs Filus etc...

We also had the chinese trials

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
True, there are quite many good matches. I have not watched many from the WTTC, will try to follow it up :)

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Just looking for the most memorable table tennis matches you have seen so far i 2017.

The most memorable match, for me, in 2017 sofar is the match that did not take place at the China Open, when Ma Long remained absent in a show of loyalty to the coaches, protesting the abusive powerplays that took place before that. Fan Zhendong and Xu Xin following suit added to the impact.

The three players disappeared for a while, then resurfaced but to me, don't look the same anymore. All this didn't get much media attention and disappeared oh so swiftly, since apparently we all seem to have the attention span of goldfish these days, but to me, this match is this year's milestone.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I tend to like local matches more than the very top pros. Don't get me wrong those are good also. But at the very top, it's almost like a different sport from what I see. :p These guys can flip dang near any serve, they rarely miss. They're amazing don't get me wrong.

But on a more local, but still very, very good level, I like to see how the play differs. I think you see a pinch more push game. A little more variety in styles, etc.

Anyways, here's a memorable match from just one state away from me in the Hawkaye Open Singles final in 2017 that was a good one to watch. Great match with a pretty unbelievable ending. I won't spoil it for you but you should just watch the whole match sometime.

I hope this link works. It's timestamped at the start of the video. If it doesn't, just go to 2:06:08 in the video. That's when the match starts.

Tao Wenzhang (USATT 2734) vs Yichi Zhang (USATT 2600)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
This was actually quite interesting to watch, thanks suds79 :) Would be nice to see it in 60 fps, but I guess one cannot have everything.