Moist surface on the rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
Hello Everyone,

Since a time back I´ve gotten bigger and bigger problems with my rubber losing grip after playing for an hour or so. I always thought that the problem was due to high humidity in the air.

I have been in contact with the municipality that has checked the carbon dioxide content, temperature and humidity in the sports hall. It is under within normal conditions during our practices.

So if the humidity is within the boundries, what could couse this? It´s usually quite cold, last week I think it was like 16 degrees celsius.

Could the sponge create so much heat that it´s actually causes condensation on the rubber? What is the temperature difference needed like 10degree?

Could it have something to the with the new plastic ball?

Different rubbers better/worse. Have not experienced this with Boost TC and celloiud ball. When the plastic ball came I also started to test different rubber. Tenergy 05/64/05-FX/80-FX Tibhar MX-S/MX-E.

Feels like I have more problem with Tibhar than I´ve had before.

Please excuse my bad english.

Best regards
Den gode

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
What i have found is that if the bat is colder than the air around it, especially if you are sweating a lot and are heated up, the rubber surface seems to get wet more often.

To speak physics the warm air around the bat can hold more water than cold air. The air loses its water as it gets cooled down through the contact with the bat and the bat surface gets wet.

You could try to keep the bat at the same temperature at all times, for example use a isolated bag for your racket.

This is my view on it, but i am by no means an expert on the topic :)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I would agree about the part of bat being 15 or more degrees colder... will play like crap in that situation. However, OP says he has issues after an hour... by then the rubber and sponge are same temp as the room.

COULD still be a humidity issue... maybe not.

He might also have a dead sponge in a few places...

Maybe his glue job is undone...

Maybe the hall is dusty grimy and stuff gets on the ball... or bat.

Cold be a number of things...

I am not there to see his rubber and play conditions.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
I think it may be a mix of things. I found an article saying that the plastic ball and humidity is huge problem. To go to the bottom of this I maybe should go back and play with BOOST TC for a while, but really don´t want to spend that extra money on rubbers just to test. I could for sure test an old celluloid ball when the problem starts to appear.

The hall is clean and all, the glue job is good. I´m kind of the glue expert in my club. Glues racket for a lot of people so got a lot of experience of gluing. Feels strange if a bad glue job shows itself after 1h?

On yesterdays practice I started to clean the rubbers with just water and dry it of the palm of my hand. That do help a bit, but still not as good as from the beginning.

Moistured sponge for grip /and blade for overall feeling/ could be a big problem, but maybe its not the case in your situation.
The rubber may loose grip if the moisture is well visible on it as a water film. If not visible, a little portion of moisture is not a problem, but on a contrary - it helps grip and spin.
And if humidity in the hall is normal, than the problem is elsewhere - maybe fat and dust melted with sweat and fixed on the rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
just want to wake up this thread again. I actually quit playing after the season 17-18. Partly because of these problems with losing grip. Now 6 years later I´m back.

Bought myself new Tibhar Evolution EL-P (boostered with 2 layer Haifu White National), the problem seems to be even bigger now than what I remembered, could booster make this problems worse? Releasing some kind oil through to the outer rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
high humidity venue will always have this problem and has been so for as long as I remember.
the venue needs to put in dehumidifiers.

It is common for people to use silica gel packets and keep them in the bat cover, especially in high humidity countries, but that doesn't solve the issue when you playing with your bat and after an hour later (as in OP) the surface is affected.

Blowing it dry (with a fan, or aircon) are options you can try.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
could booster make this problems worse? Releasing some kind oil through to the outer rubber?
I have the same problem every winter. We play in a unheated hall and 16 degrees would be cozy. I had the problem with unboosted rubbers and don't think the oil will penetrate through to the top of the rubber. If the booster is applied real heavy and sloppy and soaks the whole sponge then you might get problems like bubbles or delamination between the sponge and the top layer.

I have no answer to the loss of grip other than it is a temperature and moisture difference and yes, indeed it is a pain in the arse. We do have the technology of monitoring and reading the atmosphere in a hall, we could also arrange a remote reading of it , we could then build a small container for our blades that can mimic the condition in the hall. We would then be able to walk into the hall and our blades and rubbers would have the same moisture and temperature . This would be fine for a hobby player like myself but it would all go pear-shape when you play tournaments where after the blades have been scrutinized disappear into some big brown envelope etc etc .
Life is hard 🤣🤣🤣