Butterfly Innerforce ZLF vs Primorac

This user has no status.
Hello!

Looking at the latest Butterfly Blade Matrix, where each blade is characterized by a Reaction and a Vibration property, the Innerforce ZLF and Primorac have very similar, if not nearly equivalent, ratings. Even closer ratings are between Liu Shiwen and Boll Allround.

Has anyone tried any of these and is able to compare? The ZLF is 4 times more expensive. They must play similarly? What are the specific situations that justify the Zylon layer and extra cost?

Thanks
(I'm tempted by the ZLF, but maybe I should try Primorac first and stick with it!)

This user has no status.
Hello!

Looking at the latest Butterfly Blade Matrix, where each blade is characterized by a Reaction and a Vibration property, the Innerforce ZLF and Primorac have very similar, if not nearly equivalent, ratings. Even closer ratings are between Liu Shiwen and Boll Allround.

Has anyone tried any of these and is able to compare? The ZLF is 4 times more expensive. They must play similarly? What are the specific situations that justify the Zylon layer and extra cost?

Thanks
(I'm tempted by the ZLF, but maybe I should try Primorac first and stick with it!)

That last sentence is good.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Wait....are you really taking numbers that a TT company wrote about the performance of their blades seriously?

Are you playing the setup in your profile? Viscaria + Evolution MXS? If you are, and you like it, you probably won't like the blades you mentioned.

By the way, the Liu Shiwen blade and the Innerforce ZLF are the same blade with very minor differences in head size and shape. Their numbers should be very close. If the IF ZLF and the Primorac are very similar it would make sense because the Primorac has the same wood plies without the Zylon. But if the Liu Shiwen blade has the same numbers as the TB Allround and not the same numbers as the IF ZLF or the Primorac then something is kind of wrong with the numbers because it is much more similar to the IF ZLF and Primorac than the Boll Allround. :)

Ignore the numbers. If you had the blades in your hand to try you would be able to feel the difference between the IF ZLF and the Primorac. They are quite different.

But the Viscaria is a blade with a hard surface (Koto) and Primorac, Liu Shiwen and IF ZLF all have a much softer feel because of the Limba top ply with a Limba ply under it. And the Zylon under that make the IF ZLF and the Shiwen blade even softer.

This user has no status.
Thanks for the replies!

Well the ratings have up to 1 decimal place! Precise machinery. =) It was also about the price. If it were maybe twice as expensive than Primorac, I would have gone for a buy and try and add to collection. But I see that at this range of twice the price, there are the Hadraw series, all wood...

Yes I do play with the Viscaria and MX-S, and very satisfied with it. However I feel forced to play actively and be precise with it. Old age maybe... There are just some moments where I would like to be more allround and slow the pace. Spin more. =) I do play competitively but still learning. And thanks for pointing out the Limba / Koto difference.

So I'm just trying to find an excuse to discover new equipment and new sensations. In any case, the Will is there but not the Wallet. So Primorac it will be. The ZLF will wait until I find a player to let me try it. I do love the MXS, hard sponge with that soft top. I did move to ELS for the backhand. I will also be trying new rubbers with the Primorac, maybe Donic, a blue sponge for FH and Acuda S2 on BH.

Thanks!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks for the replies!

Well the ratings have up to 1 decimal place! Precise machinery. =) It was also about the price. If it were maybe twice as expensive than Primorac, I would have gone for a buy and try and add to collection. But I see that at this range of twice the price, there are the Hadraw series, all wood...

Yes I do play with the Viscaria and MX-S, and very satisfied with it. However I feel forced to play actively and be precise with it. Old age maybe... There are just some moments where I would like to be more allround and slow the pace. Spin more. =) I do play competitively but still learning. And thanks for pointing out the Limba / Koto difference.

So I'm just trying to find an excuse to discover new equipment and new sensations. In any case, the Will is there but not the Wallet. So Primorac it will be. The ZLF will wait until I find a player to let me try it. I do love the MXS, hard sponge with that soft top. I did move to ELS for the backhand. I will also be trying new rubbers with the Primorac, maybe Donic, a blue sponge for FH and Acuda S2 on BH.

Thanks!

Can I suggest something. Try the Petr Korbel. It is the same plies as the Primorac Off- but a slightly bigger head size and a little thicker so, a little bit faster. It won't be too fast. It is still a little slower than the Viscaria with a lot more control because of the Limba top ply and the all wood factor. It will actually be about the same speed as the IF ZLF.

It is an excellent blade. I do not think you need or even want the IF ZLF. The Primorac and the Korbel are really excellent blades. In some ways they are as good as the IF ZLF and in some ways they are better than the IF ZLF.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Last edited:
This user has no status.
Thanks for the suggestion. Yes I have the Korbel in mind, and I actually have tried a colleague's racquet (with Vega Pro). I will order the Primorac first as I really want to try that All wood feel in competition, as I always played with a Composite. And Primorac seems to be among those quintessential in the all wood category. The Viscaria is for me a great blade, and will certainly continue to play with it, but I want to try the Primorac in competition, during those tight points against sudden variation, how I might play differently, with more of a spin - controlled pace response, rather than an all-out loop.