Outdoor table tennis! Do many people on here play out side?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
How many of you many play on outdoor public table tennis tables? If so what’s your thoughts on play on them?
I was in Paris for about six months several years ago, and there were two different spots with public concrete tables close to where I was staying. One being right out side my apartment. I knock the ball around a few times but I really was not playing tt at the time, but I really loved seeing quite a few people out playing even in the winter. Really love the idea and wish there was more here in the us. Im sure wind would be the enemy and placement or location (ie not on a Hill etc) would probably be key factor in there usability.
Here are just a few Picts I’ve saved of cool outdoor public tables.
[
https://www.archdaily.com/774111/ph...avy-yards-james-corner-field-operations-photo

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_0066.JPGIMG_0069.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: TTHopeful
This user has no status.
For me, playing outdoor is only for one reason, fun/socialize. And more to giving fun to the other person playing (asking me to play with them).

If any good player see me outside playing they won't invite me to play indoor with them as I would seem to be just as goofy as the rest of the noobs playing outside.

Reactions: Boogar
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
For me, playing outdoor is only for one reason, fun/socialize. And more to giving fun to the other person playing (asking me to play with them).

If any good player see me outside playing they won't invite me to play indoor with them as I would seem to be just as goofy as the rest of the noobs playing outside.

Amen !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
It's just a totally different ball game! Definitely good fun - and challenging due to wind and irregular bounce on stone tops.

You cannot achieve the precision in your strokes (at least I can't!) that one's used on competition equipment indoors. I use an old bat when playing because I feel that the equipment wears more quickly. So I save my Tenergy from dirt and dust.

I'd also say that playing outdoors does not hurt your performance indoors - so go for it!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2021
For so many reasons there are more players playing outdoors. The lockdowns had a bit effect in cities, the TT clubs were closed and living spaces are smaller so the public outdoor tables provide both a place to play and an opportunity to be outside, getting good fitness, instead of locked up at home. However, it has continued after the lockdowns, I think the free nature of outdoor TT, the way anyone can just drop in, any time, is another big reason for the continued rise in popularity. Outdoor TT is informal and community and people are at the heart of it. Wind, rain, low light, they can all cause their problems but when the Sun is out, the sky is blue and the air is calm, there is no better place to play with new friends.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I play outside using my Kettler outdoor table because my wife won't let me play indoors and our garage is detached, sloping, and a little far from the house. It works out great to have friends over to drink some beer and play some table tennis in great weather (we are lucky to have great sunny weather most of the year). I even bought some barriers, so the set up looks semi-professional. The main annoyance is the occasional mosquito and the fact that the balls and the blade/rubber get pretty dirty. The bounce of the table is also noticeably lower than a club table. I definitely don't use my main racket outdoors, but still have a lot of fun.

Reactions: Louis