Two HUGE losses for Lin Gaoyuan. What will this mean?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
14522161279123.jpg

The World Table Tennis Cup is currently being played and Lin G, has suffered his second loss from a winning position!

Lin, played in both the World Championship and World Cup this year and on both occasions he was leading vs Xu Xin and Timo Boll; 10-5 and 10-4 in the last but managed to lose.

So, what does this mean?

All nations but China, this kind of loss would be dealt with a pat on the back and some critic as to what happened, followed by words of encouragement.

In China, it's a different ball game! This is seen as a huge problem and one of which has been dealt with severely in the past. Such as; (funnily enough - both left handed, like Lin).

Chen Qi - was a remarkable player capable of beating anyone on his day but often failed under huge pressure and thus was never a first team player, for China.

Hao Shuai - another phenomenal talent that crumbled against Michael Maze having many match points and leading 3-0. His future was never the same after that event!

Today Lin has crumbled on two occasions, he can be forgiven against Xu Xin but I believe his first team position has ended as of today! Losing to Timo Boll from 10-4 in the last will be the nail in his coffin. He will be in the national squad for sure but likely will never be first team.

This may seem harsh and many will feel it's wrong, sideling a player after two poor performances especially as they have sacrificed their lives for the sport. But China have a strict regime that takes no prisoners and unfortunately due to their TT dominance they will not allow a weak leak in their set up.

Both I and David Diniz (professional coach in Portugal with his own TT academy www.ttpor.pt), spoke about this matter today and felt it's a huge subject.

What's your opinion on this? and do you think Lin G, will be given another chance to redeem himself in the future?

Written by Eli Baraty

http://www.coachmetabletennis.com/blog/two-huge-losses-for-lin-gaoyuan-what-will-this-mean

Reactions: romanzdk
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
For sure he will get more chances if he keeps improving. ML lacked the mental strength to become a top 1 player until 2015 where he dominated the world. It's also not "that" dramatic because Timo Boll is highly respected by the chinese coaches and known for his comeback qualities.

This will however affect the decision on the national team for the next big team events. Even though FZD was already good enough they didn't want to risk bringing him at Rio 2016 due to the possibility of choking under pressure.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I don't think there is any reason to think Lin did not choke ... he definitely did and had multiple opportunities ... this is a big blow to CNTs plan to bring up the next generation and trying to replace some of the top players ... also a slap in the face for the new fangled plans of the administration ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
I think the chinese have become more "sensitive" and with humane approach to their players when it comes to coaching/selecting them, ma long and wang hao were labeled as losers , especially from the chinese fans, before finally achieving greatness. The difference is that lin gaoyuan was not given the amount chances that hao shuai and chen qi had because he is so young so it is too early to judge. Also hao shuai and chen qi did not have such a good record and performances against top CNT players at LGY's age.

Losing to XX even at such a manner is no big deal, almost every big player has had to suffer great losses to become the champ. Now I didnt watch the whole match but only the last points and it seems at such comebacks that people forget who boll or XX is, and how minimal the differences are in such a playing level.

The main factor what that lgy lost his composure @ 10-6 thats for sure, but timo played flawlessly also. 10-4 to 10-9 and then a mistake flick is the same numerical difference with 0-0 to 6-0. But the psychological toll on the players is way heavier and we as fans are heavily impressed from the come back because @ 10-4 only one point can decide the match, at 6-0 its still too early to be excited hell, even @ 7-0 some matches have gone the other way. Kinda shows how the pros can play point by point perfectly without being affected by the score, especially when u are experienced like timo,samy, ma long or whoever is considered a top experienced player.

LGY will definitely be given more chances he has huge potential to grow and its a matter of time and management from him and the staff to use these losses as motivation to become better. My guess/prediction is he is world champion material and I have a "feeling" he will make it

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
He will be given more chances , but he does not have the overwhelming power that Ma Long , XX , FZD , ZJK posses .. even with Hao Shuai , who had a similar style of play, he was effective against CNT players because he was accustomed to their patterns and this close to the table counter based game works better when you know the "tells" on where the ball is going to come , Chen Qi had a similar style but had more power especially off the forehand ... so I think even if he gets more chances and gets accustomed to style of play, with the plastic ball , the top european players and especially the lefties will always smell a chance against LGY as long as they can play unpredictable patterns ... e.g LGY was completely not ready for the forehand flicks that TB did towards the end to his backhand , he will be ready next time but with the experience that TB posses he will be able to find something else so he will always think that he has a chance compared to ML or XX who can overwhelm with power ... e.g. see what happened to Koki Niwa vs Ma Long .. whenever KK tried to cathc up with the patterns , ML took a step back and overwhelmed him with power
I think the chinese have become more "sensitive" and with humane approach to their players when it comes to coaching/selecting them, ma long and wang hao were labeled as losers , especially from the chinese fans, before finally achieving greatness. The difference is that lin gaoyuan was not given the amount chances that hao shuai and chen qi had because he is so young so it is too early to judge. Also hao shuai and chen qi did not have such a good record and performances against top CNT players at LGY's age.

Losing to XX even at such a manner is no big deal, almost every big player has had to suffer great losses to become the champ. Now I didnt watch the whole match but only the last points and it seems at such comebacks that people forget who boll or XX is, and how minimal the differences are in such a playing level.

The main factor what that lgy lost his composure @ 10-6 thats for sure, but timo played flawlessly also. 10-4 to 10-9 and then a mistake flick is the same numerical difference with 0-0 to 6-0. But the psychological toll on the players is way heavier and we as fans are heavily impressed from the come back because @ 10-4 only one point can decide the match, at 6-0 its still too early to be excited hell, even @ 7-0 some matches have gone the other way. Kinda shows how the pros can play point by point perfectly without being affected by the score, especially when u are experienced like timo,samy, ma long or whoever is considered a top experienced player.

LGY will definitely be given more chances he has huge potential to grow and its a matter of time and management from him and the staff to use these losses as motivation to become better. My guess/prediction is he is world champion material and I have a "feeling" he will make it

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Lin Gaoyuan attended World Junior Championships for four times since 2009. One-time semifinalist and three-time runnerup. That already speaks a lot. And this is a rare case in CNT that one can attend so many times. He is never short of opportunity to attend tournaments. Next month he will play German Open, Swedish Open and later Grand Finals. It is whether he can grab the opportunity to prove himself.

Chen Qi became Olympic Champion of men's doubles at age of 20 in 2004. Olympic champion can make a huge difference in the position in the team. At that era Wang Liqin, Ma Lin and Wang Hao were the core three. Chen Qi and Ma Long were 4th/5th position in CNT; that's why these five played in 2006 and 2008 WTTC Team events. Hao Shuai was said to be 6th in the team all the time no matter who were the top five and that's why he never played WTTC team. And for Ma Long, he was among core three since 2010 WTTC team and the core since 2012 WTTC team before he had WTTC singles title; for XX, he was among core three since 2014 WTTC team and he did not win WTTC singles (neither did Ma Lin). I think it is quite clear that CNT is not only aiming at singles champions. They want a strong lineup of 3-5 to secure the team champions and it does not matter who wins the singles as long as he is Chinese.

Liu Guoliang once said Lin Gaoyuan is like Hao Shuai. But I think Lin Gaoyuan has better chance than Hao Shuai. Very likely he will play 2018 WTTC team because Zhang Jike, Fang Bo, Liang Jingkun who are also competing for the 4th and 5th positions are not performing well either recently.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
Yes i would say CNT don't have much choice atm... there are not enough players good enough to compete on International scale behind ML, FZD, XX and ZJK... so Lin Gaoyuan will get a lot more chances. Hao Shuai's era was so tough players forced him out the team. Wang Hao, Ma Lin, Wang Liqin what an era. Similar to ML, ZJK and XX no one got a look in...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I don't think the original post gets to the heart of the issue - LGY is a top 4 player in CNT now. It is really going to depend on whether the other players are beating the players that Lin Gaoyuan is losing to. I don't think anyone could guarantee that LJK or FB would beat Timo Boll right now.

The issue here is that Lin Gaoyuan got the spot over Fan Zhendong (and XX) and what could be affected is whether if he will be sent to such events over FZD in the future given FZD's international record. I think it will be more something that is watched over time - the original post is too hasty in its conclusions.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
After Boll beating Ma long it get's a little different perspective, but even ML beating TB would mean nothing. He will get more chances, because he is the best CNT can work with. German Open will be a real trial, it'll be like a mini (or more like midi) WTTC. Anyway, CNT now sends more players to World Tours to get experience, so it's not about getting a chance to go to WTs. It's about having a good record to be sent to WTTTC.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
I would agree. Ma Long losing to Boll perhaps dampened the disappointment of Lin, somewhat. And these up-and-coming players in the CNT really need a lot of international experience. There's no substitute for it. Japan often sends platoons of players to tournaments. And perhaps these losses also reflect a little on the coaches.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl