Can Timo Boll's victory give rest of world belief?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
No problem, Carl. My last words on this.

I don't have any problem with a well explained different opinion, but if someone constantly keeps pulling people and stuff through the mud and keeps talking/writing out of their a**, you just can't expect me to be silent.

OP question was can the result give hope. My answer was yes, 'cause the result just showed that no one is unbeatable (no matter the circumstances how this happened).
Nothing more nothing less.
Timo showed 2005 that the chinese are human and beatable and so did he twelve years later, no matter how much others try to take that away from him.
That might only be very little hope....but nevertheless it's HOPE.

I remember a while ago many people said, if only someone could beat the chinese so the tournaments aren't so boring anymore.
No someone's finally did it (again, no matter the circumstances) and still it doesn't seem to be enough!
Pretty negative and kinda ungrateful in my book.

As you know from my other posts i'm definitely not a relentless Timo Fanboy, especially if you remember my posts about his interview about boosting.
But i'm definitely a fan of his sportsmanship and his positive vibe. A real role model that kids can look up to IMHO.

Ha ha ha ...

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
I was asked who was the European player that beat ML before this 2017 World Cup. And the answer is interesting and obvious. Timo Boll.
ML has lost to 4 European players so far.
Against Timo Boll, 4 losses (2005 Swedish Open semifinal 2-4, 2008 World Cup semifinal 3-4, 2010 WTTC Team final 2-3, 2017 World Cup semifinal 3-4) and 13 wins
Against Vladimir Samsonov, 5 losses (2005 German Open final 3-4, 2006 Croatia Open R16 3-4, 2007 Croatia Open final 0-4, 2008 Kuwait Open final 3-4, 2009 World Cup semifinal 3-4) and 7 wins
Against Petr Korbel, 1 loss (2006 Qatar Open R32 1-4) and 4 wins
Against Daniel Gorak, 1 loss (2006 Kuwait Open R64 2-4) and 0 win
In addition to Timo Boll and Vladimir Samsonov, only three more non-CNT players beat ML more than once, Oh Sangeun (2005 Grand Finals semifinal 4-1 and 2007 Korea Open final 4-0; ML beat him 8 times), Joo Saehyuk (2007 WTTC R16 4-2 and 2009 China vs. World Team 3-1; ML beat him15 times) and Chuang Chihyuan (2006 Singapore Open final 4-2 and 2012 World Cup group stage 4-0; ML beat him 14 times).
ML said Timo Boll is most difficult to play outside CNT. I think he meant it.

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
[emoji2][emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

There is this rumor that in 1991, in the WTTC, facing his best friend and teammate, Jorgen Persson, and looking ahead, confident there would be more WTTC wins for him, JO Waldner, threw the match.

Back then they played games to 21 and best of 5. I wonder how many other times Persson was able to beat Waldner 3-0.

Hahahaha.

It would be a classy move for Timo to let Dima take the title when he has two World Cup titles of his own. But Timo has not won the World Cup since 2005 and perhaps he knows that 2017 may have been his last chance.

Still, I can see him doing that for his teammate. But I can also see Dima taking the Cup for himself just by being on and not having those tense 7 game matches like Timo and the stress of unexpected come from behind wins.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

I can't see either Waldner or Boll throwing a match in a slam final no matter what people say on the internet. Actually Dima now and Persson back then were capable of beating anyone on a good day.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I can't see either Waldner or Boll throwing a match in a slam final no matter what people say on the internet. Actually Dima now and Persson back then were capable of beating anyone on a good day.

I am not sure why people look down on Dima. He has beaten ZJK. Came close to beating FZD ( the ball crack match) . Also saw him troubling ML in a few matches. And he is still young. This could be his breakthrough year to the top actually.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think Dima is one dimensional and he's lacking a good fh.

I am not sure why people look down on Dima. He has beaten ZJK. Came close to beating FZD ( the ball crack match) . Also saw him troubling ML in a few matches. And he is still young. This could be his breakthrough year to the top actually.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Haha I have nothing to hide. I'll make sure to record next time I'm hitting a few balls.

Great! And then I'll show you mine, and we can compare ours do Dima's and we'll reconsider whether or not his is any good, right? :cool:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Mos def! And considering that Dima practices hours every day I'd say I'm not very impressed with his fh :) The chinese on the other hand, you can clearly see where all the hours have gone to.

Great! And then I'll show you mine, and we can compare ours do Dima's and we'll reconsider whether or not his is any good, right? :cool:

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Okay. I know you are being funny. But.....Comparing a decent amateur FH to a top 10 pro FH, well, it is hard for me to imagine a scenario where the comparison should not be favorable: maybe Archo....otherwise, I am going to say, if the form looks decent, it would compare favorably. At least from my perspective. :)

==

In any case, Dima is sometimes an enigma. He sometimes plays really well. And he sometimes gets eliminated from tournaments by people you would never expect. I have to admit, I don't want to dislike Dima. But I don't really like him. I try to like him and can't quite. It is not like the CNT players who I wish I didn't like, but I have to admit that I like FZD, I like XX. Ma Long....he is too good. I hope for him to lose all the time. But I still can't quite dislike him. I can't help it. ZJK, he used to make me angry. When he was on top, I hated his attitude. It was terrible. Still, it was kind of hard to not like him even if I also really could not stand him. Now that he has not played well for so long, I don't dislike him as much. Hahahaha. :)

But for some reason, I always feel that there is something about Dima and how he plays that does not really appeal to my sensibilities even if I really would like to like him.

I really would love it if Calderano, Dyjas, Aruna, Sangsu, Apolonia, Freitas....someone....could step up to Dima's level. But, inconsistent or not, Dima is ranked #4 for a reason. He and Mizutani have been better than anyone outside of the CNT more consistently for the last several years. I would have to give that to him.

And since we can't make Samsonov 24 years old again, Go Dima! He is the man. :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
I was asked who was the European player that beat ML before this 2017 World Cup. And the answer is interesting and obvious. Timo Boll.
Against Timo Boll, 4 losses (2005 Swedish Open semifinal 2-4, 2008 World Cup semifinal 3-4, 2010 WTTC Team final 2-3, 2017 World Cup semifinal 3-4) and 13 wins
Against Vladimir Samsonov, 5 losses (2005 German Open final 3-4, 2006 Croatia Open R16 3-4, 2007 Croatia Open final 0-4, 2008 Kuwait Open final 3-4, 2009 World Cup semifinal 3-4) and 7 wins
In addition to Timo Boll and Vladimir Samsonov, only three more non-CNT players beat ML more than once, Oh Sangeun (2005 Grand Finals semifinal 4-1 and 2007 Korea Open final 4-0; ML beat him 8 times), Joo Saehyuk (2007 WTTC R16 4-2 and 2009 China vs. World Team 3-1; ML beat him15 times) and Chuang Chihyuan (2006 Singapore Open final 4-2 and 2012 World Cup group stage 4-0; ML beat him 14 times).

This is why I love statistics! Numbers do not lie.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews

Most of these losses happened before 2010. So when we say there were people who could beat him multiple times we are speaking about an incomplete ML.

Reactions: matzreenzi
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I guess the issue to look for in the upcoming years is, when it starts happening that ML begins having more frequent loses.

At this point it is only fair to look at this loss as just an anomaly in the midst of years and years of excellence.

But when losses like this start becoming more commonplace, then, perhaps it will mean something more.

Ma Long’s reign of dominance and excellence really has been longer than usual.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Are there anything in common among Timo, Samsonov and CCY who beat ML multiple times? ML played with Dima for 14 times and won all; what can Dima learn from them and can he have a chance to beat ML in the future?
It reminds me of previous discussions of "old school style", banana flip everything trend and control vs. power. IMO, Timo, Samsonov and CCY don't outpower ML and they are good at short balls and placements - they play smart. Dima outpowers ML but never outsmarts ML.
WH said ML's first three ball was affected by the new ball and bad serve receives led to a disruption of ML's tactic plan. Maybe he exaggerated but if you watched the other matches in World Cup, ML also did not receive well of Omar Assar and Simon Gauzy's serves. Controlling first three ball is still important nowadays.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A loss that I don’t think showed up in rainneverever’s stats but was a giant loss for ML was when he got taken down by Koki Niwa in the finals of the first round of the Asian Olympic Qualification tournament in 2012.

That may have been ML’s worst international loss. Because what was on the line was his position for the Olympic TEAM spot. And it did not look good that he could not handle the pressure of that big moment.

The only loss that really looked not so good for him after that and until this loss to Timo was his loss to Wang Hao in the 2013 WTTC Semifinals. At least it is the only one I can think of right now.

Between his loss to Timo and his loss to Wang Hao ML has been simply amazing.

Last edited: