Who do you think will win the World Cup 2017?

• Zhu Yuling

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Liu Shiwen

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Kasumi Ishikawa

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Miu Hirano

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Cheng I-Ching

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Doo Hoi Kem

• Li Jie

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Elizabeta Samara

• Hyowon Suh

• Other (Post Below)

• Total voters
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Last week saw the spectacular men's world cup where Dimitrij Ovtcharov captured the title. We also saw history unfold as Timo Boll defeated both Ma Long and Lin Gaiyuan, what a tournament! This weekend will see the Women's World Cup held in Markham, Canada! China's Zhu Yuling the world number 2 has entered as the number 1 seed followed closely by Liu Zhiwen! It's all to play for!

Main Draw

Main Draw
Group Stages

Group stages live on: https://tv.ittf.com/

China's Zhu Yuling, the World #2 has entered the Women's World Cup as the #1 seed.

zhuyulingworldcup2017.jpg

Zhu Yuling - Photo by: ITTF Flickr

Women's Singles Seeds

01) Zhu Yuling
02) Liu Shiwen
03) Kasumi Ishikawa
04) Miu Hirano
05) Cheng I-Ching
06) Doo Hoi Kem
07) Li Jie
08) Elizabeta Samara
09) Hyowon Suh
10) Georgina Pota
11) Chen Szu-Yu
12) Liu Jia
13) Lee Ho Ching
14) Matilda Ekholm
15) Sabine Winter
16) Mo Zhang
17) Lily Zhang
18) Dina Meshref
19) Jian Fang Lay
20) Paulina Vega

Live matches from the Women's World Cup can be watched in the ITTF Live Streaming.

We can use this thread as a means to display all the latest results, videos and news from this prestigious event! What are your predictions? Who will be crowned the 2017 Women's World Cup Champion? With 20 of the best players in the World fighting to win the Cup, who will be crowned champion? Zhu Yuling? Liu Shiwen? Kasumi Ishikawa? Miu Hirano? Other? Be sure to also vote in the poll and let us know in the posts below.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Is Sabine Winter injured? Her scores make no sense.

Not anymore, at least not two days ago.

First match was ok-ish, Liu Jia is a very good player.

Second match a catastrophic mixture of small mistakes, tactical inadequacies and Meshref bringing a couple back she wouldn´t have on other days.
Sabine was never in this match and offered Meshref full opportunities with almost every service return.

And as so often, no break between the sets and no time-out changed anything, so as so often I wonder if this German trainer/coach Jie Schöpp isn´t able to help or doesn´t want to (as it´s so comfortable winning titles with two "Chinese" players plus Solja and hold Sabine down as number four to warm them up ...)

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
POTA got destroyed in the last set... her style of play is too awkward with her risky FH flat shots, and that short pips BH where she twists so much her wrist on each stroke.

I think her huge boobs are also clearly a handicap for her.

She got to where she was in life with all those things. That you only notice them when she loses and not when she wins and loses in a close match 3-4 is puzzling. Cheng is a better player, nothing wrong with losing to a better player. And Pota destroys many players with that style.

It's a risky style and is what it is. I used to play like that for most of my TT career (back hand serves, loop backspin, hit topspin) and I like it even if I no longer do it and may even have to go back to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttpshot
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
She got to where she was in life with all those things. That you only notice them when she loses and not when she wins and loses in a close match 3-4 is puzzling. Cheng is a better player, nothing wrong with losing to a better player. And Pota destroys many players with that style.

It's a risky style and is what it is. I used to play like that for most of my TT career (back hand serves, loop backspin, hit topspin) and I like it even if I no longer do it and may even have to go back to it.

actually i've seen only the last set. I felt sorry for POTA. Actually I like her, i remember having seen play some memorable matches before. She had a very good year at the World Cup a few years ago.

Yes her style is very risky, I'm sure she beats a lot of players like this and her awkward style used to surprise some of her opponents. But in the end it limited her game. I don't think she won the European Championships. Samara with her more classic attacking game managed to win it (against the ex-Chinese players)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
actually i've seen only the last set. I felt sorry for POTA. Actually I like her, i remember having seen play some memorable matches before. She had a very good year at the World Cup a few years ago.

Yes her style is very risky, I'm sure she beats a lot of players like this and her awkward style used to surprise some of her opponents. But in the end it limited her game. I don't think she won the European Championships. Samara with her more classic attacking game managed to win it (against the ex-Chinese players)

Sometimes, we act like technique and winning is what the sport is about. Her style is also easier on her body and height than the style that Samara plays. Who knows if she would still be playing today if she was a looper?