Who do you think will win the World Cup 2017?

• Zhu Yuling

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Liu Shiwen

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Kasumi Ishikawa

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Miu Hirano

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Cheng I-Ching

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Doo Hoi Kem

• Li Jie

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Elizabeta Samara

• Hyowon Suh

• Other (Post Below)

• Total voters
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Semi Finals:

Miu Hirano 0:4 Liu Shiwen
Zhu Yuling 4:0 Cheng I-Ching

3rd place: Miu Hirano vs Cheng I-Ching
Final: Liu Shiwen vs Zhu Yuling

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
She lost the bronze to Cheng I Ching. Looks like Hurricane got downgraded to tropical thunderstorm

it must be hard for Hirano mentally to always lose the Chinese... Since her sensational wins at the Asian Championships, it's been difficult for her, but she's only 17. she's got to find some ways to improve her game for Tokyo 2020.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
saw just the end of the final...
there was a big argument between both players about the set point in game 6. ZYL asked for the point as she claimed it was an edge ball, but the referee awarded the point to LSW without hesitation. I saw the replay and i have no idea...

it was a very tight decider as well, with some fantastic points. ZYL saved match point and won it !!! a lot of suspense ...
but as i was not rooting for any of the 2 players, it was not so exciting for me

This user has no status.
It's impressive how Zhu Yuling improved this last year, i think right now she's only a step under Ding Ning.
About the edge ball...well, in the replay it's clear that the ball touched the table, but it's very hard to see for the umpires without any replay. It seemed like the replay was shown on the stadium screens, that wasn't right, it kinda exposed the umpires because they are not allowed to use the replay. I think it's time to implement a videoref or something like that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
It's impressive how Zhu Yuling improved this last year, i think right now she's only a step under Ding Ning.
About the edge ball...well, in the replay it's clear that the ball touched the table, but it's very hard to see for the umpires without any replay. It seemed like the replay was shown on the stadium screens, that wasn't right, it kinda exposed the umpires because they are not allowed to use the replay. I think it's time to implement a videoref or something like that.

I saw the replay and its not clear to me...

Reactions: NextLevel
Administrator
Oct 2010
Results:

Bronze medal match: Cheng I-Ching 4-2 Miu Hirano
Gold Medal Match: Zhu Yuling 4-3 Liu Shiwen

zhuyulingworldcupchampion2017.jpg

This user has no status.
I saw the replay and its not clear to me...
Here at 56:00, i see a little change on the ball's trajectory. Im sure it touched, but well shit happens, a videoref would be helpful.

I wanted Liu Shiwen to win, but it was such a tough match...no doubt Zhu Yuling deserves it.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
https://www.ittf.com/2017/10/30/did-it-hit-or-miss/
Right now this debate will roll on, but in the future the ITTF will be able to tell the players and fans straight away if the ball was in and out.“We will test edge ball reviews in 2018 and look to implement at all major ITTF events in 2019,” stated ITTF CEO Steve Dainton. “We are even considering that the player can challenge any decision during the match, including the legality of the opponents service.”

So right now we will continue to ask each other if it was in and out, but technology will soon solve the issue once and for all!

Interesting news, i think it woud make an interesting show.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Hm. All too easily complex decisions get offloaded as if they were simple technological challenges.

So, advanced technology for net hits, edge clips or side hit detection. Audio clues? Trajectory and velocity, spin extrapolation, baselining, anomaly detection?

Sure. And if a player were to contest the signal raised by such a system? Whose decision will it be? Whose decision should it be? What drives improvement, how to detect false positives, how to combat the notion of potential systematic misjudgement?

I say, leave a grey area. Yes, you can add complexity and the illusion of fairness by overtechnologizing. In the end, complexity is an Ouroboros construct — the snake that devours itself.