Brand new, curled tensor rubbers?

For new unused rubbers most probably bad storage - vertically shelfed and exposed to sunlight and great temperature tolerance for a long time.
For used rubbers - bad glue and/or gluework, bad bat care, unappropriate treatment with chemical substances - the 6Finger Vega Pro rubber surface shines and looks like treated with something, its not neither the color, nor the normal surface texture feel of Vega Pro.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
For new unused rubbers most probably bad storage - vertically shelfed and exposed to sunlight and great temperature tolerance for a long time.
For used rubbers - bad glue and/or gluework, bad bat care, unappropriate treatment with chemical substances - the 6Finger Vega Pro rubber surface shines and looks like treated with something, its not neither the color, nor the normal surface texture feel of Vega Pro.

That’s helpful, thank you! :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Again, I feel like langel is making comments that are not well considered and you guys should just ignore most of what he has said in this thread. Not worth arguing with someone who is presenting such a flawed perspective.

I am not convinced that the curve is because of factory tuning evaporating because, I have left an MXP open and exposed to let the tuning wear off. And then glued it. The rubber shrunk but did not curl.

I am not really sure what would cause that reverse dome but it is more likely that the topsheet somehow got expanded rather than the sponge shrinking.

But as far as these ideas:

1) A new rubber looking like it had something put on the topsheet: ignore the comment.
2) Reasons for a brand new rubber having a reverse dome, particularly ignore the comments about how you treat your racket or your older, used rubbers, IGNORE. Only a strange character would say things about old rubbers or how people treat their rackets when pretending to explain about a new rubber out of the packaging.
3) The blaming of the user for cutting the rubber and gluing it on when you saw it had a reverse dome, IGNORE. We don’t need any victim blaming.

A reputable seller will replace a defective product when you have photo evidence of the problem.

Yes, in the future, if you see that reverse dome when you open the package, take photos and contact the seller. But before you realize what you should do with a rubber like that, there WAS NOTHING wrong with trying to use it.

My bet is that the booster applied should take care of the problem and you won’t need to return it.

But you should still contact MegaSpin and they should replace the rubber.

If you had the misfortune of living in a country where sales policies where unethical and damaged goods would not be replaced, then you would have to make due with the rubber. But you don’t. And MegaSpin will take care of the problem if it is properly reported.

But the rubber really should work fine for you with the way you boosted it.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
Reactions: OhWell
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think that you should return the curled Vega Pro rubber Before unwrapping the package, or at least before gluing it.
If the rubber has been so curled and with so strong tension that could not stay glued on the blade, it should be very visible on the package itself.

You see, if the rubber was uncut, and had not been glued on already, than this post would be okay. But given the fact that the rubber has already been glued on and cut, this comment is AT BEST, socially dense and clueless. But it is also an accusation and assigning blame to the person who did not realize that there was a problem with the rubber.

langel has basically said, "you saw that and didn't return it immediately. That was stupid." And yet two people in this thread have done that. And it was not like the were supposed to know that there was something wrong. In good faith they thought, "well, I hope it is okay even though that looks odd. Now they know a rubber should not look like that. But don't blame them for not knowing this from the start.

And the truth is, I know people who have contacted reputable sellers like MegaSpin with issues EXACTLY like this and had a new rubber sent and with packaging to send back the damaged product. And then the selle deals with the company.

These answers are fine. I am not sure what "great temperature tolerance" means here. But I think that is just a language issue. And I can try and interpret it. But the comment is at least on subject.

However, these are at best another demonstration of social denseness. But, there is something more here in langel's accusations that 6Finger did something he should not have to his rubber. If langel actually thought that, if he really thought that, social grace should still have caused him to ask something like: "Hey, 6Finger, the topsheet of your rubber looks really shiny. Did you do anything to it?"

Which would allow 6Finger to say, "Well, I think that is just the result of the flash on my phone's camera." Rather than having been accused of doing something to a rubber that he had the misfortune of buying with a wacky reverse dome in it.

Ok, but then why did you even put it on the blade?
Just blah&return.

Look, if you don't react immediatley and appropriate to such problems dealers and traders will never mind to care more about the quality of storage and service.

And then back to blaming the victim for not realizing that something was wrong. If langel had only done this once, it would have been bad enough. But 2x makes it really obnoxious.

And the fact of the matter is that, it makes no difference if the rubber was cut and glued and then the reverse dome causes it to come unglued. If this happens, a good seller, with a reputation to uphold will replaced the damaged product and allow you to ship the damaged product back to them so they can show the manufacturing company.

So, yes, ignore obnoxious comments that are not helpful. And take the good information without worrying when a language barrier makes it hard for someone to give appropriate responses or sometimes has them answering questions that were not asked. Or if some lack of social skills causes a person not to realize when he is making insulting comments.

I just feel like I have seen things like this too many times.

Last edited:
Reactions: OhWell
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Heard back from Megaspin. They claim that they "have never seen this kind of behavior with this rubber". But they go on to insist that "if we send you another sheet of this rubber the doming is likely to occur again." This is either absurd, or a not so subtle way of suggesting that I caused the rubber to dome.

They are nonetheless offering me a $15 credit.

I don't mind a credit + keeping the rubber all that much. (Now that I got it flat it should play fine for my purposes.) But their message is frankly insulting.

**Edit: See below. We sorted things out, and I’m impressed by their customer support. Kudos to Megaspin! :)

Last edited:
Heard back from Megaspin. They claim that they "have never seen this kind of behavior with this rubber". But they go on to insist that "if we send you another sheet of this rubber the doming is likely to occur again." This is either absurd, or a not so subtle way of suggesting that I caused the rubber to dome.

They are nonetheless offering me a $15 credit.

I don't mind a credit + keeping the rubber all that much. (Now that I got it flat it should play fine for my purposes.) But their message is frankly insulting.

Send them a photo, the curled rubber and the above postage of Carl.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I spoke my mind about their response and we sorted it out. Turns out it was just a misunderstanding. When they realized I was upset, they went so far as to offer to send me a free Vega Pro at their own expense. (Turns out they cannot send the rubber I have to Xiom for replacement because it was boosted.) I sincerely appreciated the gesture. But I felt like the $15 credit was good enough for me, and more fair to them. So we went for that instead.

In my book, that’s major kudos to Megaspin! :)

Thanks to everyone for their input on the issue! I always learn tons from threads here and this is no exception.

Last edited:
“langel has basically said, "you saw that and didn't return it immediately. That was stupid." And yet two people in this thread have done that. And it was not like the were supposed to know that there was something wrong. In good faith they thought, "well, I hope it is okay even though that looks odd. Now they know a rubber should not look like that. But don't blame them for not knowing this from the start.”

No, I’ve never said they are stupid. Ignore it.

“And the truth is, I know people who have contacted reputable sellers like MegaSpin with issues EXACTLY like this and had a new rubber sent and with packaging to send back the damaged product. And then the selle deals with the company.”

But it didn’t work with the OP! Ignore it.

“And the fact of the matter is that, it makes no difference if the rubber was cut and glued and then the reverse dome causes it to come unglued. If this happens, a good seller, with a reputation to uphold will replaced the damaged product and allow you to ship the damaged product back to them so they can show the manufacturing company. “

And that want do in many cases, and it didn’t do in the particular one! Ignore it.

So, yes, ignore obnoxious comments that are not helpful. And take the good information without worrying when a language barrier makes it hard for someone to give appropriate responses or sometimes has them answering questions that were not asked. Or if some lack of social skills causes a person not to realize when he is making insulting comments.

I just feel like I have seen things like this too many times.

Like always some good points and healthy prespective from UpSideDownCarl.
Cant shake the feeling that langel is just trying to start a fight here but there is one point on which I do agree with him, if a brand new tensor is curled up I wouldn't even try to glue it any more, would 1st try to exchange it from now on.
I had same issue on the Vega Elite i'm using, but i hoped that rubber stay glued but she didn't with ordinary water based glue.
Next time i will return back the curled rubber to the seller, furthermore i think i will not buy a Xiom rubber anymore...

Last edited:
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
https://m.vk.com/wall199930161_1017

Some basic knowledge about factory rubber treatments. Enjoy.

WHY RUBBER WRITHES, BENDS AND CURLES.

All table tennis folks are familiar with this picture —a rubber sandwich from the bag got domed, rubber outside.
Head-block athletes spread rumors that the rubber was pumped with oil at the factory, but this is completely untrue. There is another reason, namely
- the rubber sponge, after being removed from the vulcanizer, is subject to temperature shrinkage for up to 10 days, If the sponge is connected to the topsheet too early, the sponge is already in the package and the entire pad is bent out with rubber. Such a pot-bellied pad is difficult to stick on plywood. A well-reputed manufacturer would allow spongy sheets to lie for one week in the warehouse, before gluing topsheet onto the sponge.

If your pad from the bag is bent sponge outwards, it is to indicate that your sponge was made in a shabby Chinese workshop, smeared with oil and immediately sealed in a bag. I've never seen such a thing, ugh, ugh. save my life.

Last edited:
Reactions: lodro and Tango K