• I am a penholder

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • It's not so important for me

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
This is how it is. Everyone has different feeling in their hands and different size and shape hands.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Yes, exactly, there are no better or worse handles, it's up to everyones personal preference. Maybe except this one :)

cache.php

I would imagine it would be hard to flip sides this this one

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
This is how it is. Everyone has different feeling in their hands and different size and shape hands.

I do wonder, though, why the conic shape I got to be so fond of now only lives on in OSP blades, and kudos to R. Palatinus for that.

kjell-johansson-2.jpg

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
ST for me!

Some FL handles feel too big for me (especially 25mm) and I end up gripping them too hard. I also don't like how the flare hits the bottom of my hand. With ST, I feel like I can grip very lightly with my index and thumb and barely rest my other fingers on the handle. It also feels easier to switch between FH & BH and use the wrist. Furthermore I feel like Straight handles look better!

Reactions: splasher78
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I used straight handles almost exclusively until late 2014 when I switched to flare for a period to work on my forehand. Then I went back to straight and had an on-and-off with flare.

Later some of my finger work on the blade changed and I figured out the benefit of flare - it allowed me to unleash what a coach called "pinky power" - you could sling the racket in your fingers and it wouldn't slip. My bottom 3 fingers facilitate a lot of whip in my grip so I like flare because I have a better idea of where my fingers should be. The reason why I preferred straight in the past was that my fingers used to move all over the racket and I never liked it when I wanted to slide down and that bump was there annoying me. Now I need that bump so that I don't put my fingers where I don't want them to be.

But I tend to place my fingers high enough that I could use anything (flare, straight, anatomic). Then the weight distribution matters and I created a de-factor flare by adding grip tape to the bottom...

My favorite handle ever on a blade is the Tibhar Kim Jung Hoon...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I used straight handles almost exclusively until late 2014 when I switched to flare for a period to work on my forehand. Then I went back to straight and had an on-and-off with flare.

Later some of my finger work on the blade changed and I figured out the benefit of flare - it allowed me to unleash what a coach called "pinky power" - you could sling the racket in your fingers and it wouldn't slip. My bottom 3 fingers facilitate a lot of whip in my grip so I like flare because I have a better idea of where my fingers should be. The reason why I preferred straight in the past was that my fingers used to move all over the racket and I never liked it when I wanted to slide down and that bump was there annoying me. Now I need that bump so that I don't put my fingers where I don't want them to be.

But I tend to place my fingers high enough that I could use anything (flare, straight, anatomic). Then the weight distribution matters and I created a de-factor flare by adding grip tape to the bottom...

My favorite handle ever on a blade is the Tibhar Kim Jung Hoon...

This is really a great post. And I think these things are some of why the whole CNT uses flare.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yes, exactly, there are no better or worse handles, it's up to everyones personal preference. Maybe except this one :)

cache.php

I would imagine it would be hard to flip sides this this one

[emoji2]LOL. Hahahaha.

Yep. I played with one of those years ago. And realized it was aimed towards making a few quick bucks from recreational players.

The wood of the racket was really cheap. The default rubber that came on it was definitely recreational quality.

And it actually played worse, in my opinion, than I had imagined.

But, mechanically, there are two things that make this design not useful for real play.

1) The racket as a glove shortens the length of the lever of the arm for the swing.
2) The racket being a glove rather than having a handle and rather than having the hand and the blade face facing parallel, both limit the effectiveness of the use of the wrist.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
[emoji2]LOL. Hahahaha.

Yep. I played with one of those years ago. And realized it was aimed towards making a few quick bucks from recreational players.

The wood of the racket was really cheap. The default rubber that came on it was definitely recreational quality.

And it actually played worse, in my opinion, than I had imagined.

But, mechanically, there are two things that make this design not useful for real play.

1) The racket as a glove shortens the length of the lever of the arm for the swing.
2) The racket being a glove rather than having a handle and rather than having the hand and the blade face facing parallel, both limit the effectiveness of the use of the wrist.

I thought that this is some kind of a design joke, not a real playable thing... :)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I thought that this is some kind of a design joke, not a real playable thing... :)

Well, it is not a real, playable thing, in a certain sense. But it was sold as if it was a real, playable thing. But I am not so sure the guy who designed it thought it would be that. Even though part of his sales pitch was that it would revolutionize the sport.

Not to unlike the funniest thread ever: The ARB Blade (Advanced Response Blade, ARB Anthony R Brown). I will look for the thread and then post a link.

But he was funny. And when called on being a troll, he got funny. He never admitted he was trolling us. But he sort of stopped trolling us the same way.

But the guy who made that hand glove thing was telling people that it would turn the sport around and that everyone at the top levels would be using soon. Just like the ARB guy.

Anyway. They are not even worth playing with to joke around. Whereas the Pistol handle may be fun to mess around with.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
the only problem I have with some flared handle design is that the neck sometimes is too small or narrow for somebody who have big hands and they are not able to grip the neck part fully.

I have very large hands and I have never found this to be the case. The issue is what is their grip?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Some dead things are best left dead IMHO.

You are right. But I am not thinking it will raise ARBrown from the dead. If it does, I have the tools cause him to depart from the forum.

I have very large hands and I have never found this to be the case. The issue is what is their grip?

some, not all flared blades. there are even wide and narrow flared blades, you know that. it is a matter of personal preference.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017