Amateur vs Pro: Timo Boll playing with a pan!

This user has no status.
There is a German TV show were you can challenge a professional player in your desired form of sport. If you win you have the chance to win a lot of money in a final round. An amateur table tennis player, playing in one of the lowest German leagues, challenged Timo Boll for a match. The challenger had to choose between three different kinds of rackets as a form of handicap for Timo: An axe-like racket with Timo's rubbers on it, a smartphone and a pan. The candidate decided on the pan :cool:

Here is the match!

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
There is a German TV show were you can challenge a professional player in your desired form of sport. If you win you have the chance to win a lot of money in a final round. An amateur table tennis player, playing in one of the lowest German leagues, challenged Timo Boll for a match. The challenger had to choose between three different kinds of rackets as a form of handicap for Timo: An axe-like racket with Timo's rubbers on it, a smartphone and a pan. The candidate decided on the pan :cool:

Here is the match!

"This video is not avaiable in your country." O tempora, o mores…

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
Try the opera web browser and enable the vpn feature. In the address bar click on vpn and select germany.

Reactions: Suga D
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Try the opera web browser and enable the vpn feature. In the address bar click on vpn and select germany.

Yes, I know. I can also use a socks proxy, terminated over an SSH session to a DE-based server, I know. It's just so saddening, this kind of childish, futile harassment, that knee-jerk anally retentive game of trying to micro-control access to content — after making it publically available on the amorphous mass the Internet is.

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
For those who are not able to play the video due to restricted access. There is no need of any fancy proxy software. Just to you Local Area Network (LAN) Settings and find button LAN Setting. Where the Proxy Settings are there should be an option to edit them. Once you get in type for Address: 88.99.134.46 and Port: 8080. Click OK and you should be good to go. Remember to go back there and delete or disable Proxy settings once finished watching the video.

Reactions: TTHopeful
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016

Here is the match!

Thanks for sharing! Enjoyed it :D

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
The axe-like thing would have been the worst decision I think. Just grab it more at its end (if that was allowed) and it feels like a common racket with a long handle. Not enough handicap to win against Boll. I have played with smartphones already as well and it is astonishing how much control you have with that. It is right in your hand, even surface with a constant ball bounce. Still not enough to win against Boll I think. The pan however is heavy as ***, its surface is uneven and you can't really control anything.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
The axe-like thing would have been the worst decision I think. Just grab it more at its end (if that was allowed) and it feels like a common racket with a long handle. Not enough handicap to win against Boll. I have played with smartphones already as well and it is astonishing how much control you have with that. It is right in your hand, even surface with a constant ball bounce. Still not enough to win against Boll I think. The pan however is heavy as ***, its surface is uneven and you can't really control anything.

Oh I took it that the axe would have to be held by the grip they put on it, otherwise it’s a silly handicap, agreed.

If that makes it more interesting we can just ask ourselves what’s worse between the pan and the axe held by the end of the extended handle.

Reactions: Simas
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Oh I took it that the axe would have to be held by the grip they put on it, otherwise it’s a silly handicap, agreed.

If that makes it more interesting we can just ask ourselves what’s worse between the pan and the axe held by the end of the extended handle.

I am pretty sure you would have to hold the axe handle by its end where the grip is put on. So I would vote for the axe handle as I think it would be very hard even to hit the ball with it. Just imagine how you would have to adapt your footwork for it. I don't think it would be very hard to hit the ball with a phone or with a pan as the difference in a distance to which you are used to (between the end of your palm and the racket surface) and the phone or the pan is not that big. And the pan has a big hitting surface. So after you get used to the bounce from the phone or the pan I think its manageable to beat this guy for any pro. They should have found a better guy to play as this guy can't keep the ball on the table yet

Last edited:
Reactions: OhWell