Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kenta Matsudaira

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Given FZD's age and performance right now it's very unlikely he wouldn't make it to WR#1 and also WTTC singles gold at some point in next 5-8 years...

It’s a given! Dima did suddenly raise his level, and overpowered FZD for now.

Yet there are whispers about the mythical weak Dima FH, and if any of that were true FZD needs fear no more. Intouchable. But will he be allowed to, having committed high treason (as some describe it) or showed deep loyalty (as I wpulf) at the China Open? Time will tell.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
I think there are some misunderstandings of World Ranking in both current and new ranking system.
In current ranking system, Dima is ranked #3 in Nov and above XX. A lot of people in this forum were surprised and disagreed. They thought XX's just folded because of inactivity for 4 months. That's NOT the case. Dima performed well this year; although his rating points (relative to the level) are lower than XX, he has more bonus points (relative to results) and Dima's Nov total points are more than XX's.
Both Dima and FZD have chance to be the new #1 in Jan 2018 but their actual ranking points will be very close. That being said, under the new ranking system, we can expect multiple players ranked #1 within a year (I think at least three in 2018) and ML's record of being #1 for 34 consecutive months will almost be impossible to break.
And I must point out, if ML attended Swedish Open and lost in the first round (or simply withdrew before the match), he will get 450 points (halved as a seed) and he will be ranked #1 in Jan 2018 no matter how Dima and FZD performed in Swedish Open (winner 1800 points) and Grand Finals (winner 2550 points). That's why the new ranking system sounds a little silly to me.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I think there are some misunderstandings of World Ranking in both current and new ranking system.
In current ranking system, Dima is ranked #3 in Nov and above XX. A lot of people in this forum were surprised and disagreed. They thought XX's just folded because of inactivity for 4 months. That's NOT the case. Dima performed well this year; although his rating points (relative to the level) are lower than XX, he has more bonus points (relative to results) and Dima's Nov total points are more than XX's.
Both Dima and FZD have chance to be the new #1 in Jan 2018 but their actual ranking points will be very close. That being said, under the new ranking system, we can expect multiple players ranked #1 within a year (I think at least three in 2018) and ML's record of being #1 for 34 consecutive months will almost be impossible to break.
And I must point out, if ML attended Swedish Open and lost in the first round (or simply withdrew before the match), he will get 450 points (halved as a seed) and he will be ranked #1 in Jan 2018 no matter how Dima and FZD performed in Swedish Open (winner 1800 points) and Grand Finals (winner 2550 points). That's why the new ranking system sounds a little silly to me.

Not silly if you consider that the player this would have favored is both the reigning world and olympic Champion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
No, the Olympic champion is NOT favored. The points for Olympic Games are valid for only ONE year instead of FOUR years as released in the first version of 2018 WR regulations. Check out the updated version.
https://d3mjm6zw6cr45s.cloudfront.net/2016/07/ITTF-World-Ranking-description-2018-final.pdf

Why I found the new ranking system silly is that it tries to reward participation over results. As I said, if ML went to Swedish Open and did not win the first round, he can still earn 450 points and continue to be #1. In the current system, he will be penalized 25 points if he withdrew before the first round, or he will lose way more points if he played and got beaten by a qualifier.

Not silly if you consider that the player this would have favored is both the reigning world and olympic Champion.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
No, the Olympic champion is NOT favored. The points for Olympic Games are valid for only ONE year instead of FOUR years as released in the first version of 2018 WR regulations. Check out the updated version.
https://d3mjm6zw6cr45s.cloudfront.net/2016/07/ITTF-World-Ranking-description-2018-final.pdf

Why I found the new ranking system silly is that it tries to reward participation over results. As I said, if ML went to Swedish Open and did not win the first round, he can still earn 450 points and continue to be #1. In the current system, he will be penalized 25 points if he withdrew before the first round, or he will lose way more points if he played and got beaten by a qualifier.

I never said the Olmypic Champion was favored. I said that the player in question is that player. It rewards participation and results, but there is a bias towards participation in order to keep players current if they want to keep their seeding relevant. Otherwise, they will just have to risk upsets in earlier rounds. This is going to required if you have a points system similar to tennis. Ma Long usually participates in the top tour events so this would be moot in most years. IT's just this particular year that he can't and that is because of internal Chinese competitions. But the new system will also mean that top players have to play more on the tour i they want to keep on different sides of other ITTF tournametn draws.

Last edited: