I feel depressed watching this. Loop against chop

says Aging is a killer
Looping against a chop it's 90% a matter of legs. If you use to much your arm, you'll get tired quite soon : 1 or 2 topspin and then you're done.
Go down with your legs, then raise up your whole body and lift the ball. Stay relax. You should be able to execute a ton of loops.
Believe me, I am well aware of the proper technique for playing against chop. But you will understand me more when you are an overweight mid-sixties player with dodgy knees, shoulder etc etc etc.;)

This user has no status.
Believe me, I am well aware of the proper technique for playing against chop. But you will understand me more when you are an overweight mid-sixties player with dodgy knees, shoulder etc etc etc.;)
Ahaha ok then you have a problem:p:D
Better to continue doing what you are doing : looping, then return, then loop again if you can.

Or, even better, do not play against choppers:cool:

says Aging is a killer
Ahaha ok then you have a problem:p:D
Better to continue doing what you are doing : looping, then return, then loop again if you can.

Or, even better, do not play against choppers:cool:
Luckily, there aren't too many around these days. They have been replaced by Apelgren style players, which are a bit easier to understand...sometimes:cool:.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
There is an easier way, what I like to call the "Timo Boll" method. This stroke is more vertical, with a smaller swing. Admittedly, it is nowhere near as powerful as Chinese style loops in the video you posted. But it's a heck of a lot easier to do and at an amateur level, will be more than enough to win the point most of the time.

Here's a video of Timo Boll doing it a lot, playing against the best defender in the world, Joo Sae-hyuk. Timo actually looses this game 4-3, so you could say that his technique is not very effective and we should all play like the Chinese. But as you get older (I'm 37 and my knee, shoulder and wrist are always giving me problems), it does get a bit harder to player such a physical style of play. Plus, at amateur level we are never going to play anyone as good as Joo Sae-hyuk. So I'm happier to go for a simpler stroke, which is easier to execute and less demanding on the body and will be effective against most players at an amateur level.

This user has no status.
It could seem that he is not doing a great body job, but I think it's simply because his movement is fast and explosive.
Timo is still doing a great legs job, so I wouldn't recommend to follow his style if your knees hurt you

I'm facing the same problem here, as I'm getting older.If I train too much, my knees really hurt me.
The solution so far is to improve my legs muscles and play less hours per week. So I don't force too much my joins.
There's no way to play without using your legs.Body position and footwork are the key of this game.

So my suggestion would be : don't play badly standing straight because you feel pain. Instead, play less but in the right way as much as you can.

Reactions: Tinykin