Backhand blocking finally clicked for me

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
It would be better to see it in a practice drill but as a match shot, it looks fine. I think most of it revolves around how much control you have in your elbow. It seems to be doing the heavy lifting for adapting to the ball.

My goal for my backhand is to get my backhand to be more powerful than that.

As for the videos that you’ve posted: I’ve seen those va long time ago and they are helpful. The blocking one shows me what the block is supposed to look like.

As for the looping one, I am mostly looking for backhand looping against topspin. Looping an under spin ball requires spinning upwards, which is pretty straightforward at our level.

Spinning the ball forward with power: that’s where the money is at :) I’ve done it before, but I wasn’t sure if that stroke was correct or not, so I didn’t practice it too much. It consisted of bringing my paddle to the same height as my elbow and pretending it was a forehand (doing the circular stroke) while going upward when necessary.

I’ve seen a video of Xu Xin doing it somewhere, so there’s no need to show me that either.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
That's fair. I used them to describe what I felt was essential. I assumed you had seen the video before but that what I was describing might be different to you.

Good luck with the strokes. You would probably need to go to the gym to get more powerful than that. That's the easiest way.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Song, PM or meetup with PP Holic.

Is there a link I can use? I can't seem to be able to contact him at all.

I don't know how to contact him

Although I don't know his real name, I think I know who you're talking about and I have a feeling I've played with him in the lost battlion rec center

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
That you are blocking the ball into the net is evidence of a very sound block. Your practice partner doesn't have a calibrated loop which makes your job harder and you are moving the block around which makes everything harder. The drill is a bit difficult but I guess you guys are young and energetic. You could use more body but it's fine. Just raise the racket higher for higher spins and hit the ball a bit more forward. Sometimes, you are starting too low so you just have to adjust the height of your paddle.

Oh yeah, I definitely know him. I know he's a solid player. I don't really like travelling far to play though when I can just play in Flushing or something

Hey D.Song! I go to NYISC at least twice a week. Let's hook up if you wanna train!

Your RPB blocking is not bad, from the camera angle tho it looks like the RPB face side is opened too much<IMO>. Contact me thru PM

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
When i miss my BH it is 90% of the time because I am not quite far enough out to where the ball is. Jimmy Butler was the one who really made me aware of it. One of the many pieces of amazing free advice I owe him for.

IMO, you have repaid him by paying it forward by sharing with members on this thread (and I'm sure you have shared on other threads)

Thank you Sir as well as to Jimmy Butler!