Difference between stiffness amd hardness

Hi all, I am still kind of new to TT blades and can someone please tell me the difference between stiffness and hardness of a blade? For example a hurricane 301 blade has a very low stiffness but a medium hardness?! I want to have hard rubber on a soft blade but does this mean I need a soft AND flexible blade? Help plz

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Hard blades vibrate quite a bit at quite high frequencies when the ball strikes. Soft blades don't. Flexy blades vibrate a lot at low frequencies and stiff blades don't. Blades vibrate at more than one frequency at the same time. (Same reason a guitar and violin sound different even when they play the same note). So soft blades can still be stiff (Butterfly Iolite is a classic example). Some composite materials like arylate have a particular property of absorbing high frequency vibration (and this becomes more noticeable if the arylate is closer to the surface) but in a thin large blade head arylate will still allow flex.

It amounts to the same thing Iangel wrote but this way ofbthinking about it explains why the hard outer ply feels the way it does. The figh frequency vibrations will propagate more through the outer ply I suspect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Atas Newton
If you build a dynamic graph of stiffness and/or hardness change of a blades with different composition, as a function of speed/angle/hit strenght/vector, you may find a lot of differences.
But besides that stiffness and hardness are just what they are - basic characteristics of a blade.

Hard blades vibrate quite a bit at quite high frequencies when the ball strikes. Soft blades don't. Flexy blades vibrate a lot at low frequencies and stiff blades don't. Blades vibrate at more than one frequency at the same time. (Same reason a guitar and violin sound different even when they play the same note). So soft blades can still be stiff (Butterfly Iolite is a classic example). Some composite materials like arylate have a particular property of absorbing high frequency vibration (and this becomes more noticeable if the arylate is closer to the surface) but in a thin large blade head arylate will still allow flex.

It amounts to the same thing Iangel wrote but this way ofbthinking about it explains why the hard outer ply feels the way it does. The figh frequency vibrations will propagate more through the outer ply I suspect.

Yes, that's right.
Would like to add that composite blades sometimes react not exactly the way we would expect just looking on the ply composition, especially if we look at them more deeper as I wrote above.
Some brands /like Xiom/ give very good information about blades behaviour depending on basic factors and its always good to consider such info, as just a single value can be a good starting point of consideration, but is not very appropriate in depth.

I am planning to get a DHS 301 blade for christmas and on TTDB it is apparently the most flexy blade you can buy?! (0.9 stiffness but 4.8 hardness) Is this true? Because I'm planning on putting another hard chinese rubber for forehand and I don't wanna get ripped off XD.

And by the way, from some other articles I read, isn't carbon supposed to be really hard and stiff? So why is this blade still flexy? Thanks

This user has no status.
I am planning to get a DHS 301 blade for christmas and on TTDB it is apparently the most flexy blade you can buy?! (0.9 stiffness but 4.8 hardness) Is this true? Because I'm planning on putting another hard chinese rubber for forehand and I don't wanna get ripped off XD.

And by the way, from some other articles I read, isn't carbon supposed to be really hard and stiff? So why is this blade still flexy? Thanks

i wouldn`t take those ratings as 100% accurate, these are user made and more or less subjective perception.
just take them for comparison.
when the carbon layer is placed near the core like at the h301 and not directly under the outer ply like most it tends to be more flexible i would say.
i think you can`t do anything wrong with the h301. DHS blades tend to go really well with their rubbers and it is definitely great value for the money.
i play the DHS Fang Bo Carbon as substitute, the two blades differ only in the outer ply and i am very satisfied with it.
im sure you will like the h301 as well.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Sadly the only way to know is to try yourself.

You must have in mind that there is no an absolute measuring scale for these characteristics.
The producers gradings are just indicative and the users personal ratings are comparitive, depending on their individual experiance with other setups.
In order to find the appropriate answer you have to do a critical reading upon users information, considering many factors as players style, distance, rubbers used, and reference setups they use to compare with.
When you analyse this info you can compare the results with your feelings about what you have in your hands and estimate what you may have if change something in the system.
Don't think about carbon, limba, koto, tensor, etc. as a single material. In a bat they work as a system and the best system for you is the system you feel the best synergy with. Sometimes it takes a while to find it, but don't give up.