China National Team Dropping Like Flies! Is This Because of Liu Guoliang?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
Do you think WTTTC 2018 can be the year where China is beaten? Who knows if ML is at 100% until then. Apart from ML and FZD everyone seems to be beatable now

yeah true . and it will make WTTC more beautiful to watch , cause no one knows what gonna happen . China will be on fire ..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
I think Ma Long with +10 years of experience would beat Dima.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

FZD vs Dima was a real match, not 'passive resistance'. If you want to lose, you don't finish the match with 15-13 in the decider. And I can't really see passive resistance an option. Asian cultures are heavily based on society. If they lose, they bring shame to the chinese society, because that would mean they are weak. The boycott was different, because they didn't show weakness, they 'just' didn't appear. Plus personal pride is also something to consider.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
This is all crystal ball stuff, but I don't believe passive resistance is what's going on here. There may be pressure on the players to do this, as a first step toward the punishment they "deserve" for policital agitating against a superior's decision ("bringing shame to the face of the nation"). Decommissioning the world #1, #2, #3 while still very much in the public eye, and subjecting them to all kinds of hardness, would be harder (and provide political leverage as well as additional loss of face).

Sacrificing them by betting on the next generation and having them fade out in a way looking like natural demise would be the better way to go about it — and then, when out of the picture, exact the "severe punishments" promised in the shadows.

The really remarkable thing here, to me, is Lin Gaoyuan's underperformance, because he's crucial to the succession story; the plot I sketched can backfire by the failure of the successors to gain prominence. That may be a calculated risk, but somehow I don't think the scenario of the CNT bottoming out entirely has received proper weight in the related considerations.

I know, it's a grim way of thinking about things, and tin foil hat territory. Then again, such developments are the teachings of history…

crystal ball to you maybe.
I can't really say too much or quote sources, so sure, crystal ball if you happy.

anyways, LGY "succession story"?, he will be 23 soon and haven't really cemented his spot both within CNT ranks and internationally.
Compare to the other 22 - 23 year old of the previous 10 to 15 years, if LGY is the succession story as per your crystal ball, CNT is doomed :p

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
yeah true . and it will make WTTC more beautiful to watch , cause no one knows what gonna happen . China will be on fire ..

What if that is the plan from Chinese management?
There is so much pressure for China not to win, that CNT is required to send coaches to coach and opening TT schools out side China and getting Chinese brands to donate more and more equipment

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think Ma Long with +10 years of experience would beat Dima.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

FZD vs Dima was a real match, not 'passive resistance'. If you want to lose, you don't finish the match with 15-13 in the decider. And I can't really see passive resistance an option. Asian cultures are heavily based on society. If they lose, they bring shame to the chinese society, because that would mean they are weak. The boycott was different, because they didn't show weakness, they 'just' didn't appear. Plus personal pride is also something to consider.

Hm...
loosing doesn't bring shame to the Chinese society
Maybe 20 years ago
things has changed

Oh wait, maybe for ZJK fan boy club, but that is different.
Society in general is fine - they move on and continue. TT is not the same as before in China

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Ironically, after most CNT losses in international tournaments after the boycott, the general public blame GAS Director Gou Zhongwen. Apparently, it is not all Gou's fault (like he has nothing to do with the ball change and only a few top CNT players seldomly lose to non-CNT players) but he is such an easy target now.

Reactions: Suga D
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
People still blaming the ball. Nope. Thats not it.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
The writing is in the wall - You simply don't mess with a winning combination and formula. I think somebody (or some other country) bribed GAS to fire KL and then LGL.

I think the backstory of internal political powerstruggles, fallouts and subsequent changes of the powerstructures at GAS/GSA level and above is more convincing. But I haven't heard much recently of Cai Zhenhua's current position, and more generally of the developing relations between the different people and factions in the powergrid.

Still, blaming the current GAS administrators for the death spiral entered after abruptly dismantling/disrupting the CNT support structure seems the adequate response. Or it would be, if there were any point to the blame game. Sad thing is, laying blame doesn't improve anything, and as ever after doing damage, there is no "undo" action that will magically restore balance in the universe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
Probably it's because of a mix of things :
- LGL is not coaching anymore. Probably the training routine has changed accordingly. Players need time to adapt to it.
- New ball.
- European level has increased.

The fact is : the ball has changed for everyone. So it should affect each player in the world. Why it should be an excuse only for the Chinese?
And I honestly saw fantastic Dima and Timo during these last tournaments. I was very impressed.

So, MAYBE, all this unusual thing means just : Chinese, as humans, can be beaten by other humans:D.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Well while the main members of the CNT are dropping like flies, Xue Fei just took down his 2nd under 21 championship at the German Open after taking the U21 in the Austrian Open back in September.

He played Timo Boll a few months back and had that match wrapped up but in Timo fashion, Timo came back to win it.

In short, he's playing at a pretty good level right now.

Anyways, given the age and decline of some of the A team members, I could see Xue taking their spot sometime in the future shortly here.

Reactions: yoass
says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
It's definitely exciting to see some upsets which will in turn give more belief to other players. Perhaps when timo recently beat 2 Chinese with ma long in the semis that not only gave Dima more belief but possibly made some cracks in the CNT

Reactions: suds79
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Well while the main members of the CNT are dropping like flies, Xue Fei just took down his 2nd under 21 championship at the German Open after taking the U21 in the Austrian Open back in September.

He played Timo Boll a few months back and had that match wrapped up but in Timo fashion, Timo came back to win it.

In short, he's playing at a pretty good level right now.

Anyways, given the age and decline of some of the A team members, I could see Xue taking their spot sometime in the future shortly here.

Xu Fei did poorly in most of his t2apac matches. Also just for comparision Xu Fei is 18 or 19 and playing U21 but FZD (20) ,Tomo (14) and Calderano (21) are at the top of Senior Tour rankings. I dont feel he has any decent chance to be the next Wang Hao. He is too weak. Any next gen European ( Patrick , Dylas , etc) will tear him easily.

This user has no status.
Penhold players take loooooong time to develop. Its one of the weaknesses of Penhold style. Can't be easy if the CPen legends get taken down and not allowed contact or communication to their former students.

Also European players are no pushovers. Its the extremely effective coaching staff and training at no small cost that give Chinese their edge. Without their medal winning formula in TT things have gone downhill.

Chinese haven't checked ball+table brand+playing country temp,humidity,condition and they haven't received spl training against Dima-style,Boll-style,Vladi-style.

So players to expressing without blaming politics or country are speaking quietly about adjusting to the ball etc.

The coach is also a direct mental "Chinese-wall" of support on the front lines.

All gone now and Europeans can easily invade and defeat China at the table.

Good job on Timo. Shows how talented and brilliant he is.

Sent from my Z1 using Tapatalk