The most aesthetically pleasing serve for you?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Ding Ning's regular pendulum, it's just so smooth.

Agree on Ma Long's serves, very aesthetical. Dima also does some cool weaving with his hands on the backhand serve. The most intricate for me are gotta be the Yoshimura's ones, I can't read his serves for the life of me.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Ma Lin best server to watch for me.

Like his style. The amount of spin he could generate. His after fake motions. He had it all.

I do really like Ma Long's standard pendulum serve. The sweeping around motion. I read or heard once pros talking about how deceptive it is and that he's really a fantastic server.

To the OP, I kept jumping around. When did Ma Long in that video use a reverse pendulum serve? I don't think I've ever seen him use the reverse pendulum before so I was curious to see it.

Reactions: laser23
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Most pro players' serve somehow seems harmonic to me. Even Par Gerrel's. I would say, Fang Bo's serves look very natural for me.
When we are speaking about good serves, Wang Hao never appears. I recently watched this video and I am amazed how deceptive his serves are:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
Ma Lin best server to watch for me.

To the OP, I kept jumping around. When did Ma Long in that video use a reverse pendulum serve? I don't think I've ever seen him use the reverse pendulum before so I was curious to see it.
In the latter part of the game around 4:19.

Reactions: suds79
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews

“Even for me it is too hard to hit it exactly like so. So for me it is important that I hit the ball at all.“

So true, yet I think the frame of reference for the ‘at all’ is quite far from my own here.

And seeing these serves, I think Schlager really did manage to up JO’s serve. Incredible.

There’s this JO interview in which he dwells upon this topic — and poo-poos Ma Lin’s serves as nothing special really. “They’re just backspin”, he said dismissively, if I recall correctly.

Service is my weakness, reception another. Deep down I don’t care much, since it’s all about winning points efficiently rather than about having fun playing. Serve and receive practice I do, but with long teeth.

If I cared much about winning matches, I’d probably spend a substantial part of my training practicing serves. I don’t, and gladly embrace the ensuing mediocrity with just a faint little sting of remorse. That final remnant of dying pride, nirvana’s last obstacle.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
Fan Zhendong's reverse pendulum serve:

34273913034_1f27f6f900_o.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I think they are are a lot of aesthetically please serves out there ... the ones that caught my eye ordered by time are :

1. Waldners serves : Underspin , no spin variations and the down the line serve
2. ma Lin : High toss serves , most of them
3. samsonov's pendulum serves
4. Zhang Jike's reverse pendulum
5. Ma Long's circular serves
6. Timo's in your face straight forward deception .. on both regular and revserse serves
5. Koki Niwa's cocky serves ...

and last but not the least Mima ito's high speed long hook serves