Good tacky rubber to use unboosted on forehand?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Are there any tacky rubbers that would be good unboosted? Some recommendations I've seen are Hurricane 8, Hurricane 3-50, Skyline 3-60, and Hurricane 3 NEO Provincial. Has anyone tried any tacky chinese rubber that they find is good without boosting? What would you recommend to use for an unboosted chinese rubber on forehand?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Are there any tacky rubbers that would be good unboosted? Some recommendations I've seen are Hurricane 8, Hurricane 3-50, Skyline 3-60, and Hurricane 3 NEO Provincial. Has anyone tried any tacky chinese rubber that they find is good without boosting? What would you recommend to use for an unboosted chinese rubber on forehand?
All the rubbers on your list is fine. If you have the money I would go for Neo Hurricane 3 provincial orange sponge. It's versatile and can do everything exceedingly well.

Passionate about TT

This user has no status.
To be honest you can play any of the DHS NEO rubbers without boosting if you play within 1-3ft from the table most of the time. I haven't boosted any of my chinese rubbers and I even used regular H3 on my BH for a while.
But I believe that new H8 rubber has a faster speed glue type sponge already so that wouldn't need it

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2011
Don't forget 999 from Eacheng ,incredible value also Guoqiu kung fu is very good & I like Dianchi @ $30 .

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
729 Battle II is the best tacky rubber nowdays as far as I'm concerned.
It's also not even half as sensitive to dirt, moisture or heat as the DHS rubbers etc.
It's also faster generally (though the skyline 3 is perhaps faster). Great rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Sanwei target national is good to play unboosted, it is chinese and tacky !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I just glued up my 'Golden Tango' to one of my backup blades, but i won't be able to test it briefly before mid december, and the first half of our season is over.
So two weeks i've gotta keep my patience.

What i can say is it is able to lift a ball for a few secs and is as bouncy as a freshly boosted H3N,
whereas it is SIGNIFICANTLY lighter.
I'll be able to tell you more in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
729 battle II provincial hands down, if you are looking to use hurricanes then a provincial h3 or nittaku h3 wouldnt be bad either

Reactions: splasher78
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Battle 2 is the best tacky rubber in the world, but... You intrigue me with this "Battle 2 Provincial".

I looked it up on aliexpress and something doesn't make sense. Battle 2 comes at 45/47/49 hardness.
"provincial" comes at 38/39/40 hardness. That smells fake to me. Is there an explanation? Are different scales used? If so why would the manufacturer use two different scales of hardness for the same rubber, or deliberately make a hard rubber very soft? Makes no sense.

Reactions: Atas Newton
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Have you tried Hurricane 8 ? ... oh I see you have already bought it , which version did you buy ? I find the harder version to be faster than the softer version even though the control is more with the softer version ...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Battle 2 is the best tacky rubber in the world, but... You intrigue me with this "Battle 2 Provincial".

I looked it up on aliexpress and something doesn't make sense. Battle 2 comes at 45/47/49 hardness.
"provincial" comes at 38/39/40 hardness. That smells fake to me. Is there an explanation? Are different scales used? If so why would the manufacturer use two different scales of hardness for the same rubber, or deliberately make a hard rubber very soft? Makes no sense.

I believe it is measured based on a different scale (maybe the DHS one?) I admit i haven't used the commercial battle II before (was using hurricane 3 since i started playing) so i can't compare the 2 but prott states that the sponge on provincial is harder. I got mine from a very reliable tt shop in my country so I doubt this is from a different manufacturer trying to make a buck off battle II by slapping provincial on the rubber.