Good tacky rubber to use unboosted on forehand?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I have a buddy at club who has Hurricane 3-50 in the soft version and I really like that.

I currently use MXP and love the sponge but miss or am not as fond of the topsheet. After hitting with that 3-50, I definitely could go that route.

Softer, more springy sponge on that crazy tacky topsheet. I hit with it and really liked it.

I assume some players might say that setup is too slow but I like soft sponged rubbers (even if it sacrifices speed) on my FH. I'll take feel, consistency & gears (for when i play drop shots) over pure speed on everything.

He also had Battle 2 on one blade and that seemed okay but it seems as though a lot of the local US suppliers over here, don't stock it anymore. It's topsheet was just as tacky as H3.

This user has no status.
Battle 2 is the best tacky rubber in the world, but... You intrigue me with this "Battle 2 Provincial".

I looked it up on aliexpress and something doesn't make sense. Battle 2 comes at 45/47/49 hardness.
"provincial" comes at 38/39/40 hardness. That smells fake to me. Is there an explanation? Are different scales used? If so why would the manufacturer use two different scales of hardness for the same rubber, or deliberately make a hard rubber very soft? Makes no sense.

i think i can help you out.

IMG_0081.jpg

on the left you see numbers equivalent to the sponge hardnesses used by ESN. On the right are their equivalent used by DHS. So, Rasanter 47,5 degree for example should be at 37-38 degree nearer at 38 on the DHS scale.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
forgive my ignorance.... I always thought 50 degrees is harder than others ... is it not so ? or did he boost it ? ... I read up a little more on it ... it seems 3-50 is a completely different rubber .. thanks for bringing it up ... I might just give it a try
I have a buddy at club who has Hurricane 3-50 in the soft version and I really like that.

I currently use MXP and love the sponge but miss or am not as fond of the topsheet. After hitting with that 3-50, I definitely could go that route.

Softer, more springy sponge on that crazy tacky topsheet. I hit with it and really liked it.

I assume some players might say that setup is too slow but I like soft sponged rubbers (even if it sacrifices speed) on my FH. I'll take feel, consistency & gears (for when i play drop shots) over pure speed on everything.

He also had Battle 2 on one blade and that seemed okay but it seems as though a lot of the local US suppliers over here, don't stock it anymore. It's topsheet was just as tacky as H3.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
forgive my ignorance.... I always thought 50 degrees is harder than others ... is it not so ? or did he boost it ? ... I read up a little more on it ... it seems 3-50 is a completely different rubber .. thanks for bringing it up ... I might just give it a try

No worries. I didn't know much about H3-50 until it explained to me... No he doesn't boost.

So check this link for example

http://www.paddlepalace.com/Rubber/products/1/0/33

You will see there are several versions of H3-50. It's simply that great topsheet on different sponges. He got the Soft version and comparing to my broken MXP euro sponge, that sponge on H-30 seems more similar than different.

It really seemed like they were trying to take some euro type sponge and simply slap that H3 topsheet on it which is what I've been wanting for a long, long time. I liked it when I tried it and could see myself moving to that when my MXP eventually wears out.

PS - I forgot to mention. While I would say Battle 2's topsheet was just as tacky as H3, the sponge was much firmer and more of the Chinese variety. The H3 soft sponge really did remind me of a euro type sponge.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Thanks suds79 ... so here is the thing .. i have a hurricane 8 hard and a hurricane 3 provincial ( blue ) on my paddles right now and I have a hurricane 3 provincial sitting on my shelf that I want to boost using alternate layers of WBG and Falco to see the effect ... I have to get tired of these first and then start experimenting on H3-50 .. unless you are recommending it as a BH rubber .. have you tried it on your BH ... what was the feeling compared to say MX-P , Xiom Vega , Karis M , Tenergy etc ... just asking ...
No worries. I didn't know much about H3-50 until it explained to me... No he doesn't boost.

So check this link for example

http://www.paddlepalace.com/Rubber/products/1/0/33

You will see there are several versions of H3-50. It's simply that great topsheet on different sponges. He got the Soft version and comparing to my broken MXP euro sponge, that sponge on H-30 seems more similar than different.

It really seemed like they were trying to take some euro type sponge and simply slap that H3 topsheet on it which is what I've been wanting for a long, long time. I liked it when I tried it and could see myself moving to that when my MXP eventually wears out.

PS - I forgot to mention. While I would say Battle 2's topsheet was just as tacky as H3, the sponge was much firmer and more of the Chinese variety. The H3 soft sponge really did remind me of a euro type sponge.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Thanks suds79 ... so here is the thing .. i have a hurricane 8 hard and a hurricane 3 provincial ( blue ) on my paddles right now and I have a hurricane 3 provincial sitting on my shelf that I want to boost using alternate layers of WBG and Falco to see the effect ... I have to get tired of these first and then start experimenting on H3-50 .. unless you are recommending it as a BH rubber .. have you tried it on your BH ... what was the feeling compared to say MX-P , Xiom Vega , Karis M , Tenergy etc ... just asking ...

Unfortunately, MXP is my first long running entry into the euro market so I can't help you compared to the others. I suppose I did try Tenergy 80 years ago but can't remember much about it.

I only tried the H3-50 for about 10 minutes on my FH. I've played with almost every cheap Chineese tacky rubber under the sun and that's the best way I can describe this H3-50 soft. Seemed like DHS's version of a spring sponge with the H3 topsheet on it.

While I'd have to hit with it more to give a through review, I liked it enough to where i feel safe giving it a go when the time comes.

PS - I use to boost. But given that at my intermediate level, I think more games are won on consistency rather than power, I think I'm done boosting. It supposedly wears out your rubbers sooner anyways so I'll pass on that idea also.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
totally makes sense .. thanks for sharing your experience ! ... boosting... well just EJ-ing for a while to see how it feels and I actually like H3 Provincial boosted , feels more direct compared to H8 .....
Unfortunately, MXP is my first long running entry into the euro market so I can't help you compared to the others. I suppose I did try Tenergy 80 years ago but can't remember much about it.

I only tried the H3-50 for about 10 minutes on my FH. I've played with almost every cheap Chineese tacky rubber under the sun and that's the best way I can describe this H3-50 soft. Seemed like DHS's version of a spring sponge with the H3 topsheet on it.

While I'd have to hit with it more to give a through review, I liked it enough to where i feel safe giving it a go when the time comes.

PS - I use to boost. But given that at my intermediate level, I think more games are won on consistency rather than power, I think I'm done boosting. It supposedly wears out your rubbers sooner anyways so I'll pass on that idea also.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017

50 doesn’t stand for hardness. It refers to a specific kind of dhs sponge (afaik same as the sponge on tinarc 3.) But the 50 sponge can come in different hardness: Eg 35deg v 37 for the soft and regular versions of h 3-50. Same with the 60 sponge used in TG 3-60 (and tinarc 1 I think?).

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Solid speed, lasting tackiness and insane spin on both touch shots and power loops. If you like chinese rubbers I would recommend u trying it out. It has a low throw but its not a problem at all imo.

Yup. It's basically a completely traditional hard & tacky Chinese rubber pushed up to max in tackiness.
But in addition, it also has catapult effect, while not being very heavy like most modern FH rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
It has a low throw
Indeed, it does! Up to extent I actually couldn't play with it on a high throw blade, coming from H3 - the blade+rubber just refused to work together. It did shine, though, on a low-throw clipper clone - MASSIVE spin and a very good speed. Still, it required a significant stroke change, so I've decided to stuck with H3 Prov.

Could we conclude that Battle 2 is a good substitute for a boosted H2, while BD is more similar to H3?

P.S. Is anyone beside me having questions regarding a new package cheapish #20 sponge H3 Prov durability?..((

Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
For me, it's more accurate to compare Battle2 to Hurricane8., and as far as I'm concerned, it's no comparison at all :)
B2 is much lighter, more springy, more tacky (and better, more resistant to moisture deterioration), and surprisingly superb at no spin shots, drives and smashes, and for me at least, the throw is much better. Topspin against underspin shoots fast right over the net and is very hard to return. None of that 'slow high spinny ball' bullshit, excuse me :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
For me, it's more accurate to compare Battle2 to Hurricane8., and as far as I'm concerned, it's no comparison at all :)
B2 is much lighter, more springy, more tacky (and better, more resistant to moisture deterioration), and surprisingly superb at no spin shots, drives and smashes, and for me at least, the throw is much better. Topspin against underspin shoots fast right over the net and is very hard to return. None of that 'slow high spinny ball' bullshit, excuse me :)

Your USATT if you don't mind my asking?