Blade recommendation

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Well they also had another chart where Clipper CR was the fastest blade, and this can't be true. My 87g Viscaria is a lot bouncier and faster than the Clipper CR.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I don’t trust this chart to be honest. I felt that the viscaria is a lot faster than the clipper CR.

Speed is not being measured, especially as felt by a player, since there are so many variables. What TTgearlab is trying to measure, for better or worse, is the elasticity of the blade, providing some indication of dwell time. How does that translates into speed? I guess it all depends.

Last edited:
Reactions: OhWell
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
121.jpg

"Ep is directly concerned with the rebound speed of blade."

That's what they write in the article about inner fiber blades and this can't be true. The rebound speed of Viscaria is a lot more than the Clipper, even if the Clipper CR I have weighs more!

And that is why I don't trust their review.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
View attachment 14709

"Ep is directly concerned with the rebound speed of blade."

That's what they write in the article about inner fiber blades and this can't be true. The rebound speed of Viscaria is a lot more than the Clipper, even if the Clipper CR I have weighs more!

And that is why I don't trust their review.

It's tough to measure elasticity without an instrument. How rebound speed translates into actual ball speed depends upon many, many factors. The measurements can only be used so far. I actually am able to hit a ball faster, for various reasons, with an all wood than a composite, but a composite offers other advantages such as a larger sweet spot.

As for me, I take these measurements in context and as only one data point.

This user has no status.
Hi,

I'm looking for a blade with a good flexibility and control but still fast enough. Right now I'm using Viscaria and I feel not enough dwell time because I'm a slow player. I've tried Fang Bo 2. It is good, but it is too head heavy for me and really vibrate a lot in my hand. I don't really like much vibration when choosing blade.

I'd like to train harder but I think it is too much for me because I have no time anymore for intense training. I'm wondering about Butterfly Marcos Freitas or Tiago Apolonia. Do you think both of them slower and controllable than Viscaria ? Or maybe you have something else to consider for me ?

Feel free to answer here. Any suggestions will be appreciated !!
That is exactly what I'm also looking for! So this discussion should be quite interesting:D

I just switched from a Timo Boll ALC to an old all wood blade. It flex a lot, it is not fast but still has some speed, very few vibrations and the control is amazing..Unfortunately no longer in production, so it would impossible to buy again new:(
cache.php

I would not go with the Freitas. Marcos himself said that his blade is the exact same copy of the Michael Maze, which is stiff and vibrates quite a bit. It's not super fast, but you can definitely feel the carbon in it. I don't think it would be the right choice.

The Apolonia is a ZLC, it means it vibrates A LOT. I tried once the BTY innferorce ZLC, and vibs were way too much for me. Great control, but very ugly feeling..

I never tried but I read great things about:

- DHS PG7
- Thibar Stratus Power Wood.
Both cheap, flexible, enough speed, great control.

- Stiga Clipper
But I'm not sure which version.Classic? CR? WRB? CR with WRB?:confused:

- Nittaku Violin / Acustic
Great blades but quite expensive.

So I'm also waiting for replies:cool:

I think that the speed depends mainly on the centre deflection, the frequency and amplitude of vibration, and the speed of the elastic rebound, but only as considered as a system, not each factor alone.
But even if we could measure all these, the results would not give us a full info enough for blade to blade comparisen.
Most blades, especially the composite ones, change these parameters in non-linear way, some hyperbolically, some parabolically. Different people change the force they imply in a hit in a non-linear way too, although they feel for themselves this change as a linear. So you may extrapolate the differences every kind of player would experience with different blades.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Slower and more controllable than Viscaria but with a similar feeling - Nexy Calix 2.

IF you want to stay Butterfly, Tiago Appolonia is decent but it will have slightly more vibration (as does the Calix 2, but the Calix 2 feels more similar).

IF ZLC / Apolonia vibrates a lot during soft hits but once you start putting power it feels really stiff to me.

Clipper might be your best bet. I really liked whenever i get to try it. The sweetspot is larger than 5-ply all wood but it still has the all-wood touch albeit being a bit stiffer compared to my virtuoso+

This user has no status.
IF ZLC / Apolonia vibrates a lot during soft hits but once you start putting power it feels really stiff to me.

Clipper might be your best bet. I really liked whenever i get to try it. The sweetspot is larger than 5-ply all wood but it still has the all-wood touch albeit being a bit stiffer compared to my virtuoso+
Does the Clipper flex?

This user has no status.
Here are some recommendations for Off-/Off speed well balanced Limba/Ayous all wood blades. They are all in the 6.2-6.5mm thickness range and offer enough flex for effective looping with enough stiffness for good blocking and hitting:

5 Ply (Limba/Limba/Ayous):

Tibhar Stratus Power Wood
Xiom Offensive S

7 Ply (Limba/Ayous/Ayous/Ayous):

Tibhar Force Pro (Blue)
Nittaku Ludeack
DHS Long 3 (pricy but great)
DHS Power G7 (cheaper version)

This user has no status.
When pushing, not so much as it's thick and 7-ply.

When looping, probably about similar to TB ALC but the you're getting the all-wood vibration instead of the ALC flex
To feel some flex on my TB ALC, I have to push really really hard.
To me, it could be considered stiff and almost dead, due to zero vibrations.
So if a 7-ply wood behaves like the ALC, I would probably go for a 5-ply..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Stiga Carbonado 45 would be a good choice, great feel and control plus moderate vibration.

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
The Liu Shiwen ZLF that I use is fast, flexible and very controllable. It kind of does everything right. But a bit expensive.

Also lighter than many of the other top tier blades. Mine weighs 84g

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Get the Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive it's the best one for u

Sent from my KIW-L21 using Tapatalk

Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
It's tough to measure elasticity without an instrument. How rebound speed translates into actual ball speed depends upon many, many factors. The measurements can only be used so far. I actually am able to hit a ball faster, for various reasons, with an all wood than a composite, but a composite offers other advantages such as a larger sweet spot.

As for me, I take these measurements in context and as only one data point.

You don't need to measure the hop of the ball. You don't even need a ball per se, you just measure the frequency (as sound wave) produced by the blade when tapped (... with a ball, for example)