What are the unwritten rules of table tennis?

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Some sports that have been around for a long time have accumulated a large number of "unwritten rules" that if broken can lead to fights and considerable social criticism by fellow athletes, even complete shunning. Two sports where there are vast numbers of these are baseball and road cycling. In baseball, if you break one of those rules, the opposing pitcher will hit you with a fastball (even if he has to wait to some future game in order to mete out the justice). Indeed, it is an unwritten rule that the pitcher has to do that to an opposing player who breaks certain unwritten rules, and if he doesn't take the appropriate revenge for the team's honor he is breaking an unwritten rule and will be shunned by his teammates.

In cycling, at the Tour de France, if the General Classification leader wearing the yellow jersey (the maillot jaune) has a mechanical problem in the middle of a stage, his rivals should not take advantage of it. Also, at the Tour de France it is an unwritten rule that the general classification riders do not contest the last stage, which is for the sprinters only. Cycling has many unwritten rules, and since I am somewhat new to it, I don't know them all.

So what are the Unwritten Rules of table tennis?

One is, you don't beat your opponent 11-0. But when you miss on purpose while leading 10-0, you can't make it too obvious.

What are the other unwritten rules in our sport?

Do we have any others?

(I recognize that I am breaking an unwritten rule by asking people to write down things that should not be written).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
Always shake hands with the opponent and umpire(s) regardless of final match score.

Don't laugh in the face of the opponent you've just beaten (nor do the Adam Bobrow dance :))

Don't hurl your bat at the opponent when they get a lucky net/edge ball (street table tennis in Soviet union in the 90s was not for the faint of heart :))

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
"Apologize" to your opponent when you got a lucky point by edge and net ball.
However, nowadays not all players do so.

At least don't openly celebrate on those balls, also on serve faults. I know at least a few people, who do.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Don't try to win the warm-up and dont spray the ball all over the place. Thanks for pointing that one out.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I hate that 11:0 'rule'. Yes in the old 21game it would be nigh impossible to make a comeback from 0:20 down. But 0:10 is much more possible if you are roughly the similar standard.

When at 10-0 and player a (with 10) gives a point away, then player b would give the next point away to make it 11-1

says Aging is a killer
When at 10-0 and player a (with 10) gives a point away, then player b would give the next point away to make it 11-1

That's the issue. The player leading is saying, the game is over at 10-0 when clearly it is not. He is actually denying his opponent the chance to make a comeback which I find very humiliating.
That's why I don't follow this rule. If I am 10:0 up, I am going for the final point just as I expect my opponent to do the same if the situation was reversed.

says Aging is a killer
Don't try to win the warm-up and dont spray the ball all over the place. Thanks for pointing that one out.
The first time my opponent smashes the ball during the warm-up, I say, "ready, let's start".

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
That's the issue. The player leading is saying, the game is over at 10-0 when clearly it is not. He is actually denying his opponent the chance to make a comeback which I find very humiliating.
That's why I don't follow this rule. If I am 10:0 up, I am going for the final point just as I expect my opponent to do the same if the situation was reversed.

All good, nothing wrong with that.
on another hand, maybe the level gap is too high and stronger player is leading 3-0 or 2-0 already, and then 10-0, there is no point to fight, I think most of the time this is the case

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Before the game, shake hands with your opponent.

When commencing, wish the opponent a good game.

While playing feel free to celebrate your hardly won points, but don't celebrate your opponent's unforced errors.

Respect your opponent's concentration, as well as your own.

After, congratulate your oponent when losing, accept congratulations gracefully when winning.

Thank the referee and thank your opponent.

When playing home and receiving opponents, be a good host and make them feel welcome.

When playing out, accept the offered hospitality and be thankful for it.

All that is to be heartfelt too. Do it and mean it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017

That is exactly what happened in the match between LGY and Liu Dingshuo (which i'm currently watching) at the end of the first set. Is that rule more common among asian players? At my club, if someone would make a mistake on purpose in a situation like that, he/ she would get a serious talking to (not from me, but from most of the old geezers who basically run the club...)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
You should inform your opponent if you are playing with Anti-spin, Long or short pips without him asking. Just good form. I however, make sure to ask. Many don't say so though.

As a spectator, don't applaud lucky nets/edges. The way to do it is wait for a bit and then give them a short cheer "Come on/Auf geht's/ Jiayou".

Make sure your opponent is in position before serving.

Cheer your points if it helps you but eye-contact while cheering is not respectful (IMHO). However, if your opponent does so, then you have free reign to do as you see fit.

Go a bit out of your way to pick up balls if your opponent is old or has health problems.