Back to Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43
  1. James Livesey is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 193 218
    J
    James Livesey is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 218 193
    #21
    Recently played against a long pimples player who didn't say he was using. Beat my two teammates, then I asked him before my match if he was using anti or LP, said he was using short pimples...

  2. yoass is offline
    says modestly attempting kōhaiship of Jeul-Tak
     
    Master TTD Member 2,443 2,554
    yoass's Avatar
    yoass is offline
    says modestly attempting kōhaiship of Jeul-Tak
     
    Master TTD Member 2,554 2,443
    #22

    What are the unwritten rules of table tennis?

    Quote Originally Posted by James Livesey
    Recently played against a long pimples player who didn't say he was using. Beat my two teammates, then I asked him before my match if he was using anti or LP, said he was using short pimples...
    How rude! But is it not a written rule, moreover, that you have the right to inspect your opponent equipment before the match?

    Edit: had to look that up, and it is. From the 2017 ITTF Handbook:

    2.4.8 Before the start of a match and whenever he or she changes his or her racketduring a match a player shall show his or her opponent and the umpire theracket he or she is about to use and shall allow them to examine it.

    You are allowed to change rackets during match play, even without necessity apparantly. This I did not know.
    Last edited by yoass; 11-20-2017 at 10:53 AM.

  3. vvk1 is online now
    says I compete, therefore I am
     
    Senior TTD Member 604 796
    vvk1's Avatar
    vvk1 is online now
    says I compete, therefore I am
     
    Senior TTD Member 796 604
    #23
    Quote Originally Posted by yoass
    How rude! But is it not a written rule, moreover, that you have the right to inspect your opponent equipment before the match?

    Edit: had to look that up, and it is. From the 2017 ITTF Handbook:

    2.4.8 Before the start of a match and whenever he or she changes his or her racketduring a match a player shall show his or her opponent and the umpire theracket he or she is about to use and shall allow them to examine it.

    You are allowed to change rackets during match play, even without necessity apparantly. This I did not know.
    Nah, that's not the case.

    3.4.2.4 A racket shall not be replaced during an individual match unless it isaccidentally damaged so badly that it cannot be used; if this happens thedamaged racket shall be replaced immediately by another which the playerhas brought with him or her to the playing area or one which is handed to himor her in the playing area

    The Following 2 Users Like vvk1's Post:

    pingpongpaddy and yoass


  4. yoass is offline
    says modestly attempting kōhaiship of Jeul-Tak
     
    Master TTD Member 2,443 2,554
    yoass's Avatar
    yoass is offline
    says modestly attempting kōhaiship of Jeul-Tak
     
    Master TTD Member 2,554 2,443
    #24
    Quote Originally Posted by vvk1
    Nah, that's not the case.

    3.4.2.4 A racket shall not be replaced during an individual match unless it isaccidentally damaged so badly that it cannot be used; if this happens thedamaged racket shall be replaced immediately by another which the playerhas brought with him or her to the playing area or one which is handed to himor her in the playing area
    Thanks for that correction!

  5. jamesmith is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 162 329
    J
    jamesmith is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 329 162

    User Info Menu


    Sep 2016
    Hong Kong
    329
    162
    786
    Read 0 Reviews
    #25
    when I served, I felt it was a net ball so I put my hand up but the empire did not stop the point and my opponent smash the ball but he missed it and smashed in to the net., then he said to me I put my hand up and indicated it was the net ball. He did not try to stop and tried to smash and win the point , so I asked the empire to decide what to do, she said it was my point because she did not think it was a net ball. What do you think ? Am I right not to start the point again ? Am I right to ask the empire ?????? or I was mean

  6. darucla is offline
    says I actually do drink...wine.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 193 255
    darucla's Avatar
    darucla is offline
    says I actually do drink...wine.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 255 193

    User Info Menu

    #26
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesmith
    when I served, I felt it was a net ball so I put my hand up but the empire did not stop the point and my opponent smash the ball but he missed it and smashed in to the net., then he said to me I put my hand up and indicated it was the net ball. He did not try to stop and tried to smash and win the point , so I asked the empire to decide what to do, she said it was my point because she did not think it was a net ball. What do you think ? Am I right not to start the point again ? Am I right to ask the empire ?????? or I was mean
    No question that it is your point if the umpire says so. But equally the opponent has the right to play to win if let has not been called.

  7. jamesmith is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 162 329
    J
    jamesmith is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 329 162

    User Info Menu


    Sep 2016
    Hong Kong
    329
    162
    786
    Read 0 Reviews
    #27
    thank you
    it always bothers me , I thought I was mean not to admit I had put my hand up to indicate it was a net ball but I was annoyed because he carried on and smashed that ball.

  8. yoass is offline
    says modestly attempting kōhaiship of Jeul-Tak
     
    Master TTD Member 2,443 2,554
    yoass's Avatar
    yoass is offline
    says modestly attempting kōhaiship of Jeul-Tak
     
    Master TTD Member 2,554 2,443
    #28
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesmith
    thank you
    it always bothers me , I thought I was mean not to admit I had put my hand up to indicate it was a net ball but I was annoyed because he carried on and smashed that ball.
    It is customary for the other player to acknowledge your signal, and make that apparent in the return; and it is customary for the umpire to grant a let in that case. However, that might depend on the level. It will work for me like that, but a player that does it in the Olympic finals might be disappointed.

    Regardless of level the umpire makes the decisions, just like always, plain and simple. It's a let if and only if the umpire says it is.

  9. NDH is online now
    says UK Premier Standard Player
     
    Senior TTD Member 778 753
    NDH's Avatar
    NDH is online now
    says UK Premier Standard Player
     
    Senior TTD Member 753 778
    #29
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesmith
    when I served, I felt it was a net ball so I put my hand up but the empire did not stop the point and my opponent smash the ball but he missed it and smashed in to the net., then he said to me I put my hand up and indicated it was the net ball. He did not try to stop and tried to smash and win the point , so I asked the empire to decide what to do, she said it was my point because she did not think it was a net ball. What do you think ? Am I right not to start the point again ? Am I right to ask the empire ?????? or I was mean
    I don't know what level you play at - But for an opponent to "smash" the return, it must have been a pretty high, slow serve!

    I'm guessing you meant he played an attacking shot to it?

    Personally, if I put my hand up to say "the ball hit the net" - On mine, or my opponents serve, I'd expect the point to be replayed - Regardless of what happens.

    Unless of course, you are playing at a very high standard where you have qualified umpires (in which case, you would play to the umpires call) - But even then, there is always a bit of "self rule", especially on let serves.

    This is technically a written rule - Although the definition is loose.

    "You shouldn't make any verbal exclamation (or hand gesture), if you don't think you'll get a shot back (like a smash, a net, or an edge)".

    I've seen people do this (say..... return an edge ball), and verbally say "wow" or something similar, because they didn't expect to.

  10. jamesmith is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 162 329
    J
    jamesmith is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 329 162

    User Info Menu


    Sep 2016
    Hong Kong
    329
    162
    786
    Read 0 Reviews
    #30
    your reply makes me doubt was it my serve or his serve, I know I return that ball and he smashed it , so it could be his serve . Anyway I still think I should make it a net serve and started the point again although he tried to win that point. The ball was not very high but he tried to attack and smashed too hard. Thank you for your opinion

  11. NDH is online now
    says UK Premier Standard Player
     
    Senior TTD Member 778 753
    NDH's Avatar
    NDH is online now
    says UK Premier Standard Player
     
    Senior TTD Member 753 778
    #31
    That would make more sense (his serve.... you think it's a net so return it, and raise your hand), he then smashes the 3rd shot kill.

    Personally, if anyone puts their hand up with good intention (because they thought it was a net serve for example), regardless of what happens afterwards (opponent smashes and misses), I would expect the point to be played again.

    In a game of small margins, seeing someone's hand shoot up whilst you are trying to play a shot is always going to be distracting.

    The umpire should have seen your hand and replayed the point.

    The Following User Likes NDH's Post:

    ajtatosmano2


  12. tropical is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 497 854
    T
    tropical is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 854 497
    #32
    11-0 rule: If you can beat your opponent 11-0 then do it. I really feel good about it.

    Measure the net to make sure it is correct height if umpire is not around.

    Do not wipe your forehead with your freehand before serving.

    Pick up balls coming to your playing area and nicely toss them back to others.

    Don't talk trash to psy your opponents out during friendly matches.

    ...

  13. rainneverever is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Elite TTD Member 1,960 1,022
    R
    rainneverever is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Elite TTD Member 1,022 1,960

    User Info Menu


    Sep 2016
    China
    1,022
    1,960
    5086
    Read 0 Reviews
    #33
    Have you seen this video?

    The Following 4 Users Like rainneverever's Post:

    anchorschmidt, Suga D and 2 others


  14. Suga D is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 3,909 3,231
    Suga D's Avatar
    Suga D is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 3,231 3,909

    User Info Menu

    #34
    Quote Originally Posted by rainneverever
    Have you seen this video?
    Hahaha
    Thanks for sharing.

  15. ajtatosmano2 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Elite TTD Member 1,002 1,302
    A
    ajtatosmano2 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Elite TTD Member 1,302 1,002
    #35
    If someone puts his hand up, then the point should be replayed. Even if the umpire decides that it wasn't a let ball, the scorer should give back the point. Not doing so is rude. Also, when a ball comes to the court, or something disturbing happens, the point should be stopped and replayed. If you scored the point when this happens, you have to ask the opponent if he wants a replay, even if the incoming ball wouldn't change the outcome (e.g: you got a slow high ball and the opponent didn't have a chance to return). The opponent should refuse the replay if it was disturbing to him. This is the normal behaviour. Of course if one of the players break these rules, things are going to be ugly. Then you can go by only the written rules, however I recommend only doing so when it's an important match. Fortunately, it's quite rare amongst TT players.

    The Following User Likes ajtatosmano2's Post:

    Baal


  16. Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 11,142 10,948
    Der_Echte's Avatar
    Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 10,948 11,142

    User Info Menu

    #36
    Unwritten rule in Korea is a let is a let in generally only three situations.

    - The ball hits a player on the other closeby court when opponent is reasonably close to it.

    - The ball from next table bounces on top of your table.

    - You or your opponent run into another player during the point.

    Players from next table will come to your table and grab their ball from under your table during the point. OK.

    Coach will give you advice during the point. OK.

    Loudspeakers rudely announce next player. OK.

    Three balls from courts come into your playing area. OK.
    President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

    Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

    View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

  17. ajtatosmano2 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Elite TTD Member 1,002 1,302
    A
    ajtatosmano2 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Elite TTD Member 1,302 1,002
    #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Der_Echte
    Unwritten rule in Korea is a let is a let in generally only three situations.

    - The ball hits a player on the other closeby court when opponent is reasonably close to it.

    - The ball from next table bounces on top of your table.

    - You or your opponent run into another player during the point.

    Players from next table will come to your table and grab their ball from under your table during the point. OK.

    Coach will give you advice during the point. OK.

    Loudspeakers rudely announce next player. OK.

    Three balls from courts come into your playing area. OK.
    Interesting. These are applying during matchplays too? Like in a league? As I said, we offer a replay for everything and trust in the other player that he will only accept it when it really disturbed him. During training matches too.

  18. Baal is offline
    says Ba'al has spoken
     
    Master TTD Member 5,938 3,554
    B
    Baal is offline
    says Ba'al has spoken
     
    Master TTD Member 3,554 5,938

    User Info Menu


    Nov 2010
    3,554
    5,938
    15832
    Read 8 Reviews
    #38
    In some places I have played in China there are no lets! Probably not even if a comet strikes the earth. I find this pretty awful.

    The thing about unwritten rules is they are violated more than written ones. I have never actually led 10-0 in a serious match, so I don't actually know what I would do.

  19. Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 11,142 10,948
    Der_Echte's Avatar
    Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 10,948 11,142

    User Info Menu

    #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Baal
    In some places I have played in China there are no lets! Probably not even if a comet strikes the earth. I find this pretty awful.

    The thing about unwritten rules is they are violated more than written ones. I have never actually led 10-0 in a serious match, so I don't actually know what I would do.
    I led hugely in the first or second game vs one of Larry Hodges young teen Indian students. By the time it got to 8-0, I had in mind that I had better ensure opponent's score has at least a one by it. I gave easy returns and opponent made errors on them. It was 10-0. I decided to make it look real good like I was trying, yet still miss a point. I got a really low return and did the wildest no control full arm over table slap at the ball, was trying to hit out while looking like I was trying... shot landed, I failed. Game ended 11-0 enroute to a 3-0 win. Kid was in a tourney next month at Smash, he won big time vs 4 1800s level players in giant round robin group stage and gained like 300 points !!

    Maybe the kid is now higher rated... well looking at ratings, he is now higher rated than my current rating, so I guess I got my fun in while it lasted.

    The Following User Likes Der_Echte's Post:

    ajtatosmano2

    President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

    Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

    View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

  20. Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 11,142 10,948
    Der_Echte's Avatar
    Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 10,948 11,142

    User Info Menu

    #40
    Next unwritten rule: Defeat forum legends in large tourneys... Ask Next Level, heard he got a good result or two this weekend.

    The Following User Likes Der_Echte's Post:

    ajtatosmano2

    President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

    Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

    View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Create a new Topic:
Title is required.