Best Long Pip Blockers?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
Part of Olivier Mader decline, he had a new child, stated he is spending more time there, than playing table tennis. He recently beat a player rated 2392 in a tournament.

But he is likely to lose to lower rated players. I've seen a ~2100 LP player lost to a 1650 player at LA open this year. This LP player didn't know what to do with high ball to his BH, exactly what the video above showed how Cory toyed with Oliver with his ridiculous high serve.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
tropical, I am gunna be Derek Chao's Ping Pong Dojo Sunday at 1PMish, see ya around - bring those LPz for target practice for CONFISCATE... or target him :D

Ha ha .. Der .. I'd be happy to play you but my tennis elbow came back last week from too much incorrect LP chopping :rolleyes: . I decide to try chopping instead of pushing/blocking because many young folks who are getting familiar with my style start beating me with their speed. But chopping turns out to be a lot more physical and harder to master than pushing/blocking.

Where is Derek Chao's place?

Part of Olivier Mader decline, he had a new child, stated he is spending more time there, than playing table tennis. He recently beat a player rated 2392 in a tournament.
Yep. He has been playing less and training less. Any style would have their rating decline after that. the new ball also hurt his style.

But he is likely to lose to lower rated players. I've seen a ~2100 LP player lost to a 1650 player at LA open this year. This LP player didn't know what to do with high ball to his BH, exactly what the video above showed how Cory toyed with Oliver with his ridiculous high serve.
I've also seen a 2100 level inverted player lose to a 1700 level player. There are lots of reasons for this, the least of which is the material they choose.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
I've also seen a 2100 level inverted player lose to a 1700 level player. There are lots of reasons for this, the least of which is the material they choose.

Sure but LP player is more unstable more of up and down rating. I play both styles and I know it well. This is why I am saying without a good FH, BH oriented LP will be very unstable and kind of too predictable. Oliver is no exception. Excuse like taking care of kid is not convincing!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Sure but LP player is more unstable more of up and down rating. I play both styles and I know it well. This is why I am saying without a good FH, BH oriented LP will be very unstable and kind of too predictable. Oliver is no exception. Excuse like taking care of kid is not convincing!

When Olivier Mader loses to an under 2000 player, it is usually to another long pips player, which can be strange long pips vs long pips rallies.

Reactions: Nuke Skywalker

Dude, do you have kids? It rules your life. Trust me, it matters. Currently, I’m unable to play more than once a week because of it, and I don’t even have a new born.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
Dude, do you have kids? It rules your life. Trust me, it matters. Currently, I’m unable to play more than once a week because of it, and I don’t even have a new born.

I think while LP is hard to master, once you know how to use it it is more difficult to lose the touch.

Of course I have kids. I used to compete a lot when I was in the 40's when my kids were young and I only trained once a week. If I could trained twice a week my rating could improve 100 points. The major factor now that affects my game a lot, is age. Everyone is different but I find it hard to believe kids can reduce my rating 250 points?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
I think while LP is hard to master, once you know how to use it it is more difficult to lose the touch.

Of course I have kids. I used to compete a lot when I was in the 40's when my kids were young and I only trained once a week. If I could trained twice a week my rating could improve 100 points. The major factor now that affects my game a lot, is age. Everyone is different but I find it hard to believe kids can reduce my rating 250 points?

Well, I guess it depends on how much time the kids are taking up. Maybe Oliver wasn't playing for weeks/months at a time. But anyway, glad this thread could become part long pip player-part parenting tips corner :p

Well, I guess it depends on how much time the kids are taking up. Maybe Oliver wasn't playing for weeks/months at a time. But anyway, glad this thread could become part long pip player-part parenting tips corner :p
Haha! I dont' see any tips, but I'll add one. Video is always better than still photos for documenting life events. LOL

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018

Just saw this thread 1 year after it was posted....

Since my daughter was born in November 2012, I went from practicing 4 times per week to practicing 1 time per week.. I still maintained mid to high 2100 level.. In February 2015, I reached 2199 at my last Celluloid Ball Tournament. Started dropping in rating due to the plastic ball and also tore my meniscus in May 2015 and could not move well. I decided not to have the surgery and eventually, later that year, the pain went away.
In 2016, I injured myself at the US Nationals at my 2nd match of the tournament and kept playing.. Dropped to low 2000's.. I stopped practicing completely due to the pain of the tennis elbow.. I only played tournaments as practice. Most of 2017, I was remodeling a investment home and did not practice (my only practice was tournament play) until just before the 2017 NA Teams.. I did prepare for the Teams and my rating want back to 2198.
Injured myself again (tennis elbow again) in June this year.. Could not practice at all from June to mid September.. Played a tournament in September and got my rating back to 2173 which is my current rating.. Recently, we started having a rec room at my office and I play about 4 times a week with approx. 900 to 1600 level players. Playing lower level players has helped improving my forehand attack and I'm playing my best ever since the plastic ball was introduced.. The plastic ball definitely took about 75 rating points level off my game as also off most other long pips blockers game. All of them dropped at least 100 points or more. Just about all of the long pips blockers dropped significantly since the plastic ball as the reduced spin greatly reduces the effectiveness of the LP blocking game. I'm playing as good as I can possibly play with the plastic ball, frequently beating 2200's. I still got moderate pain in my elbow and I'm afraid that stronger pain can return any time. Tennis Elbow is a injury that takes a long time to fully heal.. My torn meniscus also acts up from time to time but right now, I'm pain free.. If it comes back again, I may need surgery which will put me out of action for months. Getting older is no fun.... 47 now...

Last edited:
Reactions: Der_Echte