Butterfly Gionis All+ for offensive intermediate player?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Hey, great forum! I am looking for blade advice, please:

- playing for 7 years
- training 2x per week
- offensive style, often attempting to start the first spin, from backhand and forehand
- reasonable skills: winning most games in our league (which is like 4 leagues below the top league in my country)
- Xiom Vega Japan Rubbers, max, on both hands (I dont want to change those)

I currently have the Butterfly Liu Shiwen ZLF blade. Now I understand that it is much too fast for me: I believe I make too many errors (spin, but also serve, chopping, blocks), and I have difficulties improving my spin accuracy - I think the fast blade does not help me here.

I tried the Butterfly Gionis Carbon All+, and I like it. I wondered if that sounds like a good fit for me? I have some doubts still, because I would like a blade which is a bit faster than the latter, but with the same control :)

What I also thought of:
- Butterfly Timo Boll ALC (too fast?)
- Butterfly Primorac (Allwood) (still relevant or are today's carbons better for control and speed?)

Best,
T

First, I am not a coach nor the best to diagnose your errors. I don't understand why you want to change your setup if your winning most games ? I did read that you want to reduce errors, could those errors be not equipment related (ie body motions)? If you're in Germany, I'd seek out a coach as they could point out corrections to reduce your errors. You could record yourself and point out where in the video your errors are. Then email them to a coach or here for others to better diagnose.

Also are you close enough to a physical TT store where you can try these blades with your Xiom Vega rubbers (that would be my second choice).

If you do narrow it down to the wooden blade, I'd recommend a Bty Korbel (93+g) over the Primorac. Actually, then I'd recommend a 95+g Korbel (I have a 97g) if you can handle it (you may be younger and the weight could affect you?).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
at LordPippington:
Thanks for the suggestion, although I understand that if you say clumpy, this means that for your own play you didn't like the gionis blades so much?

at Agochuckjordan2:
Also big thanks for your instructions and questions! I want to play one league higher, and against such players, I am loosing most of the games :) I have talked to my coaches and I need to step up my precision by one level. Regarding weight, the Xiom rubbers are already quite heavy, and thus I prefer a not too heavy blade (the Liu Shiwen is 86g and I don't want to increase the weight really).

I checked the Korbel at mspin and it says the blade should be 85-89g. I assume your values are probably more correct as you weighted them and I have heard that the values given at mspin dont represent the truth always. One question: Do you mean the "Bty Petr Korbel" or the "Bty Korbel SK7"?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
An update: I talked with a coach, and since I want more control, and downgrade the speed, he told me to go definitely with an allwood, so I guess I will look for some allwood now. I have
- Korbel
- Primorac
as suggestions so far..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Just wanted to have you aware that there are two versions of the Korbel, a European and a Japanese. Megaspin sells both. They are somewhat different and on the forums I would say that Korbel users seem to prefer the construction of the Japanese version which can be identified by a serial number. The Stiga Infinity VPS is another popular 5 ply.

Here is a comparison of popular 5 ply:

https://ttgearlab.com/2017/10/16/classic-5-ply-wood-blades-comparison/