Experience with cheaper Cornilleau ITTF indoor tables?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
Hi,

Where I work and study, we might try to buy another table tennis table. I am in general used to high quality tables, but in this case we probably have to go for something cheaper because of limited funding. Our minimum requirement is that the table is ITTF approved, has wheels and is foldable. The table itself will not be moved often, just stay inside the same room.

Our supplier has tables from Stiga and Butterfly too, but those are more expensive. I was looking at Cornilleau Competition ITTF 540 and 640. They look very similar with a 22mm thick top. I think the table top is the same, so we might go with the cheaper one.

One concern is that the net assembly seem to be fixed with screws to the table, and folds with it. Anyone knows if the net assembly can be removed, and then we just attach any ITTF net? Just as a precaution if the net becomes broken.

Anyway, the biggest issue might be the table top. If you got any experience with those tables, it would be interesting to know if the bounce and surface is of good quality. Same goes with the durability.

The aforementioned tables:
http://www.cornilleau.com/en/products/tables/competition-indoor/540-ittf-w-indoor/
http://www.cornilleau.com/en/products/tables/competition-indoor/640-ittf-w-indoor/

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
Now, that looks interesting. Thanks for mentioning this manufacturer, yoass :) Never heard about them, but the tables do indeed look nice with a 25mm table top. Might be a bit hard to find a retailer in my country, but I think I found one. I will contact them and see what happens.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
I have sent Sponeta an email, but it seems hard to find any retailers in my country and what the price for such a table might be.

Btw, this is the list of ITTF-approved tables: https://d3mjm6zw6cr45s.cloudfront.net/2017/10/Tables_15_2017.pdf I have always wondered what the table type really means, like table type II, IV etc. I think it is related to heigh adjustment for transportable tables?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
Unfortunately, seems to be impossible to buy Sponeta in Norway :( Such a shame, the table look really nice. Will have to try one of the cheaper Cornilleau tables, as previously intended.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
Thanks, that's a good suggestion. Unfortunately, no retailer for the Xiom tables here either. The rubbers and other equipment is easily available, but not the tables. However, it seems to be possible to order a Sponeta table, after a little back and forth :) The only thing is to convince the administration that ordering online is fine.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
The Xiom table is probably a bit outside our price range, it looks like we will be able to order a Sponeta S 7-63.

I do know that the table is ITTF-certified, I suppose that the net assembly is certified too? The net assembly is part of the table, but there is little information about except that it stays in place. Looks like one has to use the supplied net (not a big issue, spare parts seem to be available)

This user has no status.
Hi,

Where I work and study, we might try to buy another table tennis table. I am in general used to high quality tables, but in this case we probably have to go for something cheaper because of limited funding. Our minimum requirement is that the table is ITTF approved, has wheels and is foldable. The table itself will not be moved often, just stay inside the same room.

Our supplier has tables from Stiga and Butterfly too, but those are more expensive. I was looking at Cornilleau Competition ITTF 540 and 640. They look very similar with a 22mm thick top. I think the table top is the same, so we might go with the cheaper one.

One concern is that the net assembly seem to be fixed with screws to the table, and folds with it. Anyone knows if the net assembly can be removed, and then we just attach any ITTF net? Just as a precaution if the net becomes broken.

Anyway, the biggest issue might be the table top. If you got any experience with those tables, it would be interesting to know if the bounce and surface is of good quality. Same goes with the durability.

The aforementioned tables:
http://www.cornilleau.com/en/products/tables/competition-indoor/540-ittf-w-indoor/
http://www.cornilleau.com/en/products/tables/competition-indoor/640-ittf-w-indoor/
I never tried those, but I currently own the Cornilleau 100 indoor.
It's the super cheap version table by Cornilleau. It's not the best, but still very robust. I bought it for 250€, so my expectation were quite low as well.

The 540 price is 600€, so I think it should be quite reliable and very good quality. At my school we training with DONIC Waldner Classic 25, which should cost more or less the same (or even less) and they are really a great tables. Highly recommended. So you should be more than fine.

Reactions: whocarez
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
Thanks for the interesting notes about Cornilleau. We went for a Sponeta S 7-63. For the price, which was around 500€ for a 25mm top, it might be a good choice just within our budget. It will take a couple of weeks to get it delivered, but I am really looking forward to try it :) I am a bit excited about the frame. It is a bit more complicated than the typical two piece table, but hopefully it will hold up over time.

I have now learned that many table tennis companies do not make their own tables. Looking at brands like Butterfly, Stiga and Donic it is easy to see many similarities between the offered models. I always thought that an instant classic like the Stiga Expert VM (a really great 25mm table "without" wheels) was made by Stiga, but it looks like even that one is manufactured by someone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Thanks for the interesting notes about Cornilleau. We went for a Sponeta S 7-63. For the price, which was around 500€ for a 25mm top, it might be a good choice just within our budget. It will take a couple of weeks to get it delivered, but I am really looking forward to try it :) I am a bit excited about the frame. It is a bit more complicated than the typical two piece table, but hopefully it will hold up over time.

Will you do a review? In a few years or so we'll have to replace tables at the club. We currently use the Tibhar Smash 48-R (fun fact: the very tables used at the 2011 WTTC), and I'm already eyeing their successors.

That's why I noticed the Sponetas at the clubs I visited. Limited time, of course, but I thought they played well, their construction seemed well thought out, and they could be handled easily and stored very compactly. That's why I asked the club managers why they selected these tables, and why they're on my radar now. So, curious about your experiences with it!

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
Sure, I can leave some feedback after using it for a bit of time. I am no expert by any means, though ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
We have been using the table for about a month now. During the assembly, I noticed manufacturing defects on a couple of parts for the side frame: defective screw sockets, making it impossible fasten the screws. This was taken under warranty from Sponeta, and I received the parts after a couple of weeks. I can do a more extensive writeup later on. Overall the table is quite ok.

The other thing is that the net is fixed, and the net itself is quite cheap. The metal string fasteners at the ends fall off from time to time. Note: just the net itself, not the net posts/assembly. The quality of those is decent.

I think I will try to order some spare nets from China. Do you know if any of those are of ok quality, and fit well to Sponeta, Stiga, or other similar tables?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Hi,

I have 20 Cornilleau 540 tables (ref. no. 115900) in service in public gym since beginning of 2011. Tables are in medium load use. So far in very good condition(table tops, nets/posts, construction). I’m very satisfied!
Still somenotes:

Some parts are from table that produced in 2015 (ref. No.115600, net tensioners4610A, wheel brakes 4465). May be I got tables „from future“ or experimetnal ones this time.
https://www.cornilleau-services.com...0-ittf-bleue.html?search_query=540&results=13

These plastic net string tensioners tend to broke apart. But usaully half remains intact andcan be still used. Today going to buy finally spare parts and searched for correct part numbrers.
Wheelbrakes (most) tend to broke. Furtunatelly they are not required at all. Removed them totally. Tables do not move themselves. They are quite heavy. Specially steady if unfolded.

By my knowledge new version has net posts which collapse in between table tops when they are lifted up. May be more safety for nets posts, but more moving parts make this questionable feature. So if football is not played at the same room, not harm for old setup.

So, I'm very satisfied during 7.5 years. Fixed net is most convenient and all are in very good condition.

Last edited: