• Badminton

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Squash

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Yesterday Youtube recommended me watching badminton World Championship Finals.

I like badminton and I think I am OK at it at an amateur recreational level (never had formal training, didn't compete and don't belong to any club). So I watched the finals and was amazed how much I liked it.

I had some formal training in squash and I had a membership in a club (for a month :) ) cause I felt like I should try other racket sports. Although I liked it a lot (especially because its more a 3D racket sport compared to others) I never enjoyed it watching.

Watching tennis is ok for me, but nothing special

Looking objectively (I know it's hard) table tennis is notorious for being not that enjoyable to watch for those who don't play it above "ping pong" level and don't understand all the subtleties of it. (I guess it should seem something like one player makes a serve by shaking his racket somewhere under his armpit, opponent tries to return the ball over the net and the first player tries to attack or push it back and then attack :) ? )

So my question is which racket sport objectively is the most enjoyable to watch?

Last edited:
Reactions: doraemon
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Not much fun in watching sports. Most sports, it's just watching the grass as it tries to grow while being trampled. At least in cricket games you get to watch herds of men in white drink tea and cuddle up for extensive amounts of time… most sports don't even have that exciting bit of action.

That being said, I do enjoy watching table tennis and badminton. Squash not so much; I like doing it, but consider it a dull watch. Sometimes I do enjoy watching tennis, it has a slapstick effect on me — much like table tennis played in slow motion with frictionless anti as the only racket covering. That is, until a serve and volley player storms the net and takes charge of things there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
I enjoy watching tennis. Easy to follow with the bigger courts and balls. I also quite like the extra drama you get with the scoring system. You need minimum of four points to win a game, which means you get frequent min-dramas. Will a player hold his serve or be broken? And watching Federer play is a thing of beauty.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Table tennis closely followed by badminton. Played tennis for 7 years and I love the sport, but it's just not as fun to watch. Never watched squash, it's basically nonexistent in Russia.

On personal level I do agree with you, that TT is more interesting to watch then tennis, but that's because I have a much deeper understanding of it compared to tennis. But in general I would say that tennis is way more popular to watch then TT.

I believe squash is only more popular in USA and in UK.

How about table tennis? Is it popular in Russia?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
I've only seen squash a few occasions, don't even know the rules, but didn't like it much. Tennis is kinda boring for me. Like TT without adrenaline. I am a table tennis fan not just as a player, but as a spectator, no question for me which is the best even to see. But I know that an understanding of the sport is needed with that camera angle. I believe with a different camera angle would make it enjoyable for everyone, though without knowing much about TT it's still not the most enjoyable to watch. I really like badminton, both watching and playing it, definitely second on my list. Actually it's second on my list among every sport.
Why I like TT so much? I think it's the closest thing to the samurai duels of our imagination. It's EPIC!

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
Tennis is the easiest to watch and for me (and most people worldwide) the most beautiful sport to watch.

Squash is weird to watch and badminton is really nothing special to me , they cant even spin the ball , i mean the shuttle, so there is not even spin to watch , very boring short-long , short long , very boring sport to watch.

Table tennis is special because of the speed and spin, but not that enjoyable to watch for me.
I think it is because of the speed and the short rallies i guess ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Tennis is the easiest to watch and for me (and most people worldwide) the most beautiful sport to watch.

Squash is weird to watch and badminton is really nothing special to me , they cant even spin the ball , i mean the shuttle, so there is not even spin to watch , very boring short-long , short long , very boring sport to watch.

Table tennis is special because of the speed and spin, but not that enjoyable to watch for me.
I think it is because of the speed and the short rallies i guess ...

Badminton players spin the shuttle a lot to control it. You're right that spin has no effect on the racket, but it changes the arc. Without spinning it's hard hit to hit short balls.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Badminton players spin the shuttle a lot to control it. You're right that spin has no effect on the racket, but it changes the arc. Without spinning it's hard hit to hit short balls.

Didn't know that. But I knew that squash players also use spin to affect how the ball bounces from the wall. Anyway I think it would be safe to say, that the spin in table tennis has by far the most profound effect.

Reactions: ajtatosmano2