Coaching Adult Learners

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You all read the title... we have discussed this topic throughout several threads on and off.

Sound off on key things to do for adult learners... I am talking about our typical TT player who never started TT until their adult or mid-life years.

First a few things on the coaching situation in USA and a few other countries. Some countries have good organization and support/infrastructure. Most places in USA don't have a proper club, even those places hire a current or former elite amature high dollar cost per hour. Typically, many adults do not progress measurably or at least not nearly as much as they should. Some coaches string players out teaching them just enough to keep them with coach. Some coaches treat the adult training like training kids. Some have no idea how to communicate to adults or clearly articulate fundamentals. Some adults do not listen, some experiment too much with equipment, some don't want to learn and progress, just learn enough to look good at lunchtime TT at work.

This discussion could use some things for an adult learner to look for in a coach.

1) RESULTS - Easily the number one objective measurement. If an adult player is club average 1400-1500 and receives pro style training from a coach, within 2 years, that player should be 1700+ EASILY. Often we see no progress, so looking at players that a coach does lessons with and seeing if they all progress would be an EASY no-shyt Sherlock way to spot ineffective coaches.

2) ABILITY to clearly articulate to make adults understand how and why to do the fundamentals. So many pro-style coaches do not coach - they drill the player, often their attempts at talking are too rigid or not well communicated.

3) FLEXIBILITY in getting player to progress. Not all players play the same way or have the same skills (although their are common skills we should all have) An effective coach is one who does not dictate playing exactly this way. A coach has to work with what he/she has got and cannot try to get there in one step.

4) WORKABLE PLAN - an effective coach for adults should be able to help the player realize and form a plan, several plans with clear steps and goals - plus how/why to get there. A player paying all that money should have a plan and a few paths to get there. There should be many immediate/down the road and way down the road things. Plans for technical shot improvement (say improving a BH opening topspin) and strategic goals (such as finding ways to use shots to setup better FH finish or how to integrate footwork building the point)

5) SPOTTING FLAWS - an effective coach should immediately be able to see ineffective biomechanics, wrong footwork/position, strike zone effectiveness, and tactical decisions) Said coach should frequently be talking to player on how this is impacting the game and level and HOW to improve it.

That was for starters... now about some things the coach should focus on... I will leave some out so there are things for TTDers to chime in on.

1) FUNDAMENTALS (The technical stuff) - Every exercise or drill or shot should be focused on applying the fundamentals to a shot or situation

....1A... POSITION - getting into effective position should be a must in every sequence, it all starts with position. Good position allows leverage and some room for imperfection.

....1A0... Ready Position Crouch - how to start
....1A1... Footwork - HOW to get into that good position, which ones work well in what situation
....1A2... Knee bend prior to opponent's shot - this makes a world of difference in ones ability to move laterally on an instant

....1B... BALANCE and RECOVERY - Obviously there is no good leverage or preparedness for the next shot without this. All shot sequences must emphasize this.

....1C... STRIKE ZONE - Where in the zone to impact the ball to do what. How to wait or speed up timing. How to give MAX impact to the ball.

....1D... POWER TRANSFER - how to efficiently make kinetic energy and give it to the ball

....1D1... Whip - how to use sequence of muscles to make bat speed
....1D2... Grip Pressure - how to control or add rebound of ball

2) How to apply it in a rally (technical, tactical and strategic stuff) - How to adjust under pressure, how to deal with no time or non-optimal position, how to read opponents and their tendencies, measures and counter-measures. How to grow technical/technical things into usable items in a rally, game, match, and growth (Strategic)

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Perhaps being ITTF certified coach is something you should do sometime down the road?

Haha, I got an International Umpire trying to get me on track to become a National, then International Ump...

I think the ITTF coaching certification is a good step in the right direction... to identify some common things and give a short course... unfortunately, it is difficult to make a coach in this short timeframe... but it is starting interest in official certification for coaches... which leads to more belief and trust from places like schools, which are essential to grow the sport. That makes a market for more clubs and coaches and equipment companies. More commerce is good for everyone. More players, more fun, more growth, more opportunities for players to make an income from the sport. EDIT: More opportunities for AFTER their playing days.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Theory: adult learners with faulty shot mechanics (i.e., almost all of them, except the rare true beginners who have no bad habits to break) should avoid competition. I noticed while teaching tennis that even the most motivated adult learners would regress after playing tournaments, mostly because it's hard to accept getting worse before you get better, but also because under the pressure of competition unconscious action patterns kick in and override newly learned technique. Very difficult to avoid in tennis, and maybe even more difficult in a faster sport like table tennis. I'm interested to know what people think of this idea. I should mention that I think kids and true beginners should start competing as early and often as possible; this applies only to adult learners who are false beginners or even somewhat skillful players.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Too many coaches train adults the same way they train juniors and end up injuring them. They coach the way they were coached as kids. This is not optimal.

Coaches who are good with adults don't try to correct every technical flaw but can help a player get better with what they have.

Players who start lesrning as adults will almost never be as smooth as players who start as kids. They can have strange looking but effective shots. And very ineffective ones too. If you coach adults, you have to accept some degree of ugliness in the shots of some of your students!

Competition is ok if you accept that some adult bad habits and inefficiencies will never go away no matter what you do. People play to have fun. If someone enjoys competition, they should do it. Life is too short not to have fun.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Andy,

Der_Echte likes a lot of what you said. I think there should be balance. In USA, most "clubs" are not really clubs at all, just some school gym rented for 2-3 hours 1-2 times a week and all anyone does is play matches or organized round robin groups. That is way too much balance towards matches.

On the other end, only training and no trying to apply it under real match conditions is an injustice, also, one must at the right time learn how "real" it gets in comps.

Having said that, any real gains in technical things are darned difficult to immediately show in competitive match play. Often, like you said, there is a DECREASE in performance. It just isn't so easy to be consistent in match play on those things right away. It can take MONTHS if not longer, sometimes a year for improvement in training to consistently show in match play under pressure.

However, there IS a proper place for competition in the strategic development of a player, unless only if the player is only interested in just having fun or learning only selected things for his/her own reasons.

I believe the "at the end of the day" strategic realization is application of the coaching/training to improved match play in competition. We are all competitors and Warriors at some level, excluding the fun purists. That is fine too. The fun purists are true to themselves, all good.

Reactions: Suga D and Andy44
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Baal is spot on, so many coaches train players like they are drilling kids. Adults learn different. We need to know how/why/what all the time and have more reps, guided reps, kids pick it up faster/better. A coach who treats adults like kids is for the animals - avoid. Should be easy to spot... yet it is still a huge problem in USA and some other lands.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Theory: adult learners with faulty shot mechanics (i.e., almost all of them, except the rare true beginners who have no bad habits to break) should avoid competition. I noticed while teaching tennis that even the most motivated adult learners would regress after playing tournaments, mostly because it's hard to accept getting worse before you get better, but also because under the pressure of competition unconscious action patterns kick in and override newly learned technique. Very difficult to avoid in tennis, and maybe even more difficult in a faster sport like table tennis. I'm interested to know what people think of this idea. I should mention that I think kids and true beginners should start competing as early and often as possible; this applies only to adult learners who are false beginners or even somewhat skillful players.

I am not fully sold on avoiding competition and there is nothing wrong with regressing into bad habits as this is inevitable. What I try to explain to my students and people is that you cannot master technique without using it to both make and miss shots, and that you are better off doing the same swing all the time and learning how to fix it when it makes mistakes than to use your comfortable but inferior stroke to put the ball on the table.

In addition, it is incredibly hard to teach table tennis to anyone who cannot generate racket head speed.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You l can thank ttmonster for this thread, we had a long discussion over late dinner in a diner after the CLC playoffs. The topic arose after he asked me how to improve as an adult where he lives.

Hahahahahah quadruple haha, ttmonster is smak in the middle of the best TT club situation in USA. EASILY 12 real clubs within a 30 minute or so drive. ALL with ex-pro or elite amature athletes as coaches with a full time facility.

Yet, all the problems I discussed early in the first post still apply to this great TT area... it might apply even MORE. The clubs that produce the top junior talents in our nation are perhaps the WORST for an adult to take lessons in. We identified and discussed a few of them.

ttmonster will chime in later and his personal experiences - he has a decade plus in this great TT area of our nation.

ttmonster asked me to identify ONE thing to do to improve by self in the area clubs. I identified applying 3-4 of the fundamentals in everything he does as the way to go. Can be done even if all he does is just play matches and use matches as an opportunity to try and apply and grow.

Reactions: ttmonster
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
If a player has certain technical limitations that they can never change, in competition they can learn to make what they have work. I am not ssying that no technical problems can be fixed in adults. But the solution that fixes the problem may still look a bit unorthodox and they may discover these fixes by themselves in competition.

I have a practice partner like that and he is not to be underestimated.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
NextLevel -Adult Coaching Extrordinaire Deluxe said:
In addition, it is incredibly hard to teach table tennis to anyone who cannot generate racket head speed.

I fully agree with this statement, however, I also believe it is an absolutely WONDERFUL opportunity to teach control of hand pressure and body mechanics in middle shots to produce different output of the ball and how to control the ball.

This counts for a LOT at the average USA club level and maybe 5 levels above it.

Of course, NL is discussing this as it applies to learning offensive shots - both heavy spin and speed shots. You are not going to do either without a good explosion or grip and whip. (Hey! That rhymed !)

Still, even here, control of the output of the ball without a huge power is still a value. How many points in a match are won with a block? How many are won with a simple light counter away? How many are won with some simple spin variation (and much shorter ball than expected) caused by a loose hand at impact?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
If a player has certain technical limitations that they can never change, in competition they can learn to make what they have work. I am not ssying that no technical problems can be fixed in adults. But the solution that fixes the problem may still look a bit unorthodox and they may discover these fixes by themselves in competition.

I have a practice partner like that and he is not to be underestimated.

Thanks for supporting my hypothesis #3 of flexibility from coach. This is one sure-tell sign of an effective adult coach.

Can the coach work with what is there and make it work? Can the coach get the player to learn what they want to become and provide a path to get there?

These are obvious questions that anyone can make self-use of a bullshyt filter and arrive at the right answer.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I fully agree with this statement, however, I also believe it is an absolutely WONDERFUL opportunity to teach control of hand pressure and body mechanics in middle shots to produce different output of the ball and how to control the ball.

This counts for a LOT at the average USA club level and maybe 5 levels above it.

Of course, NL is discussing this as it applies to learning offensive shots - both heavy spin and speed shots. You are not going to do either without a good explosion or grip and whip. (Hey! That rhymed !)

Still, even here, control of the output of the ball without a huge power is still a value. How many points in a match are won with a block? How many are won with a simple light counter away? How many are won with some simple spin variation (and much shorter ball than expected) caused by a loose hand at impact?

Touch shots, including blocks and pushes, require more racket head acceleration than you realize even with grip pressure changes. Decelerating the ball needs fast hands.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Great discussion. I coach a lot of adults here in the UK. And there is lots of good points above, which I won't repeat, but generally agree with.

One thing I will add is this...

With the adults I coach, I put a big emphasis on the player taking ownership of his/her own development. I have some players who come to me for coaching, but do not practise in between coaching sessions. They improve a little bit. I have other players who practise a lot in between coaching sessions - and practise the things we have been working on - and they improve much more. My coaching steers a player in the right direction, but it is the frequency and quality of a player's own practice which determines how much improvement takes place.

I also try and get the player to think for himself. If a shot isn't working, why not? What can he do to fix it? If a tactic isn't working, why not? What other tactics can be used instead? Players who can think for themselves and problem-solve as they play do much better.

Finally, I always try to give praise and encouragement. I believe everyone can improve at table tennis. But they have to enjoy playing. I like to create a positive environment and leave a player feeling good about himself. If the player feels good and motivated, he is more likely to practice. If he practices more, he improves more. And then people think I'm a good coach. But really it is the player doing all the hard work. I'm just pointing him in the right direction.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Having said that, any real gains in technical things are darned difficult to immediately show in competitive match play.

as a grown-up who started training sooo very late, this times ten. you develop a good forehand topspin, it will be obvious to your more experienced opponent what your weakness is (hint: it's the backhand) and pressure you there. i lost many games feeling frustrated that i didn't have the chance to use my "good techniques", either because of my poor backhand or serve receive, all this while i could kill-loop almost any forehand push.

improvement in match play comes from being trained in all aspects of the game. the saying "a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link" is true in this case

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Great discussion. I coach a lot of adults here in the UK. And there is lots of good points above, which I won't repeat, but generally agree with.

One thing I will add is this...

With the adults I coach, I put a big emphasis on the player taking ownership of his/her own development. I have some players who come to me for coaching, but do not practise in between coaching sessions. They improve a little bit. I have other players who practise a lot in between coaching sessions - and practise the things we have been working on - and they improve much more. My coaching steers a player in the right direction, but it is the frequency and quality of a player's own practice which determines how much improvement takes place.

I also try and get the player to think for himself. If a shot isn't working, why not? What can he do to fix it? If a tactic isn't working, why not? What other tactics can be used instead? Players who can think for themselves and problem-solve as they play do much better.

Finally, I always try to give praise and encouragement. I believe everyone can improve at table tennis. But they have to enjoy playing. I like to create a positive environment and leave a player feeling good about himself. If the player feels good and motivated, he is more likely to practice. If he practices more, he improves more. And then people think I'm a good coach. But really it is the player doing all the hard work. I'm just pointing him in the right direction.

+1

Proper approach. Smart players beat unintelligent players on the regular. Best thing to do is make him/her 'smarter' IMHO

Convince them to use video in their training. People who don't watch themselves train and play think they are doing stuff completely different from what they are actually doing.

+1
Hahaha. Totally agree.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
I purposely left out serve and receive, which is over 1/2 the game. There is so much in these two areas I ought to make separate threads.

No need to make 1 more separate thread for receive, just tell the adult player to put long pips on their backhand for serve returns.