Calling all Long pips users for info

This user has no status.
Ok so I'm gonna make me a 'fun' bat. Chen Weixing style. I don't want to be playing mid distance unless I have to, prefer to stay 1-3ft from the table blocking, chopping with BH and blocking, looping, attacking with the FH.
1. Do I go for OX or get some sponge (no higher than 1mm).
2. Do I get something safe like feint long 3 (which I have tried), DHS C8 or TSP curl P-1R.
3. as for a blade, can i just use my stiga ALL classic or would getting a Joo Sae Hyuk be the better option.

hit me with your thoughts ;)

This user has no status.
My setup is very good for what you are suggesting, you get enough power with the FH rubber as well as the blade being carbon it is very good for attacking, but it also has magnificent touch for chopping, chop-blocks and blocking with FH and BH alike. Tsp curl p1r in 0.5mm is very good because it has sponge to help with attacking with the pips but also decent spin reversal on blocks and chops. You can also generate your own spin eg. A FH topspin is possible but requires maximum effort to perform.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
Stiga ALL classic is fine.

On the LP part, I'll go with OX as they have more reversal and less spin sensitive than the sponged ones. But the downside is that it's harder to control than sponged LPs, that's why I like to put them on slow, soft, flexible blade to compensate the loss of dwell time of not having a sponge underneath it yet still maximizing its spin reversal potential.

I would suggest that you stay away from grippy LPs that are made for chopping for they are very hard to control when blocking. I would recommend 729 755 OX, Globe 979 OX, Giant Dragon Crop Circle OX, Stiga Destroyer OX, and DHS C7 OX for the cheap ones, and Spinlord LPs for rather expensive ones (but they're still realy cheap compared to mainstream brands).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll stick to my stiga ALL classic then. A lot of options with the pips though. I just checked out the C7 now they are quite cheap also. I have tried feint long 3 with 1mm sponge on a matsushita def blade and it worked quite nice actually. But with my stiga ALL I have no clue lol. Because ultimately staying with my stiga blade means my fh stays the same

Last edited:
says STAX X9000 is the BEST!
For a blade upgrade I would recommend Dr. Neubauer Titan, it's very light weight and have a small (almost round) playing surface, so I think it's just made for playing close to the table, also this blade have different speed sides witch can create more difficulties for your opponent... I had this blade, but I used it with anti-spin mostly for fun and change of pace at the trainings, it's just at the time I tried myself in defense and I didn't want to play close to the table style in defense, so this blade was "not my cup of tea", but IMO it's was just great close to the table, block and flat hits is really great... just IMHO

P.S. Joo Se Hyuk blade IMHO is too heavy for comfortable playing close to the table (I had this blade), also it have oversized playing surface witch IMO also not good for playing close to the table, also it's quite a speedy blade, it's very easy to overshoot over the table when playing close to the table... so, for your style of play, I think Joo See Hyuk blade is a bad choice...

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Just use what you have lying around and know, and put the LPs on one side. OX if you like to be close to table and take off bounce, sponged LP if you want to chop or go dead when you want. Buy the cheapest LP that will get the job done. Many are under USD10. Play around with it when you are in goof off mode, it will help you vs the LPers some.

This user has no status.
I see you play a TG3 NEO (which is great!) but perhaps you'd like to transition to a rubber which is easier to hit a no spin ball with when playing with LP?

I have a H3 NEO I would put on as I have a sheet and that's what I played before. The only rubber I would consider using is Mark V.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I have made a LKT Instinct paddle with LKT Pro XT and 755 0X. This is cheap. I bought the original from colestt long ago but since then I have replaced the rubbers on both sides once. It is fun and easy to play with. The LKT Instinct is slow which makes blocking balls with the 755 0X easy.
I would add 0.5mm sponge if you want to get more grip for chopping at the expense of spin reversal.

WARNING 0x LPs are difficult to apply. Some like 755 0X will shrivel up. If the 755 0X makes contact with itself it may not be usable.

There are two must learns when playing with this paddle.
1. Twiddle
2. Side step and use the FH when you have a chance to kill the ball. Hitting with LPs is iffy.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
I've had a look online for what's available in UK that is cheap. I got a choice of the friendship 755, dhs c7/c8 and cloud&fog, dawaei 388d/d1.
So what we reckon from those choices. Or do I just pick any really? Or maybe give me the 3 better ones.

I'll put it this way,

Rank based on Control:
1. 755
2. C7
3. 388d-1
4. 388d
5. Cloud and Fog 3 (this pip frustrates me a lot when blocking, but it's a hell of a chopping machine)

Spin Reversal:
1. 388d
2. 388d-1
3. Cloud and Fog 3
4. C7
5. 755

I suggest you get the 755, as it is the easiest to control and also the cheapest. Or, you can buy all of them and try it all, Feint Long 3 is still more expensive than the sum of those rubbers.

Reactions: tzifos
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Write the three most inexpensive ones in large letters on a sheet of A4 paper... tape it to an old wall... throw a dart at the A4 paper from a range of 2 meters.... whatever rubber the dart lands on... BUY.

You are not gunna be a Jedi Master Knight crowned by the queen herself the first year you use it... so why worry. Maybe you get crowned by crown royal or Kroenig coffee, no use to sweat it out, slap on one of those puppies and have sum fun.

Reactions: genrel001
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
I've had a look online for what's available in UK that is cheap. I got a choice of the friendship 755, dhs c7/c8 and cloud&fog, dawaei 388d/d1.
So what we reckon from those choices. Or do I just pick any really? Or maybe give me the 3 better ones.

Flip a coin, 4-sided in this case, but whatever... It's a fun bat - so it does not really matter WHICH particular kind of LP you are going to end up with. They are all going to be different enough from inverted, so it will give you a taste of what it's all about.

Yes, you are probably better off with OX/thin sponge to make it as spin-insensitive/disturbing as possible close to the table and on serve receive. And you can chop with it just fine.