choice for rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I'm planning to go with tsp spectol on one side and having a dilemma of the rubber choice on the other side. I'm planning to use the offensive classic blade. can you please tell me about the pro's and con's of the following rubbers:

Donic coppa jo gold
xiom vega pro
xiom vega Europe
Donic barracuda
Donic Acuda series And
Donic accuda blue series

I'm an offensive player on both fore hand and back hand. so I'm planning to switch between the short pips and the inverted on bh and fh in matches to create that little bit of deception. I'm an intermediate player playing the game for 4 years now. I have a very good bh flick and a very good fh smash as well. pls suggest me the pro's and con's of the above rubbers

Thanks in advance.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I'm planning to go with tsp spectol on one side and having a dilemma of the rubber choice on the other side. I'm planning to use the offensive classic blade. can you please tell me about the pro's and con's of the following rubbers:

Donic coppa jo gold
xiom vega pro
xiom vega Europe
Donic barracuda
Donic Acuda series And
Donic accuda blue series

I'm an offensive player on both fore hand and back hand. so I'm planning to switch between the short pips and the inverted on bh and fh in matches to create that little bit of deception. I'm an intermediate player playing the game for 4 years now. I have a very good bh flick and a very good fh smash as well. pls suggest me the pro's and con's of the above rubbers

Thanks in advance.

Well, I can tell you a little bit about the Vega Pro, although I'm not an equipment expert. I've been using the Vega Pro on both sides on my Viscaria for several months now. Got back to tt about 1,5 years ago...

The pro's (from my point of view):

-very high grip (grips both the celluloid and the plastic ball very well)
-topsheet very firm/ more on the hard side, which I like (sponge is medium hard ~ 47.5 on the ESN-scale), not quite as spin-sensitive as Tenergy for example
-rather low catapult, good (for me) in the short game
-throw is at least medium-high, I'd say and the arc is quite pronounced
-fast enough to finish a point (even with an allwood blade; tried it on my Infinity, which is similar constructionwise to the Offensive Classic (I think) => speed is of course not as high as with my Viscaia, but you get slightly more spin and the arc is more pronounced, but I still prefer the crisp contact I get with my Viscaria and the spin is usually more than enough to get my opponents in some trouble)
-very suitable for serving, topspinning/ countertopspinning, lifting underspin and backhand blocking
-durability: I would say rather high
-price: very good; one sheets costs less than 30 bucks or in other words: for one sheet of Tenergy you get at least two sheets of Vega Pro (depending on discounts maybe even three!), so very good value for small money

The con's:
-hmm, maybe backhand topspin, but backhand topspin is generally not my strenght, it's actually one of my weaknesses...
-since it is a rather low catapult rubber you need to engage the sponge more from mid-distance in order to stay in the rally

That's pretty much it.
I might add: I tried the Baracuda once on the blade of a club mate. Rubber was already worn out, but was still capable of producing tremendous spin. It also seems to be a low catapult rubber and the throw is even higher than the Vega Pro (see reviews below). Both the Vega Pro and the Baracuda, I'd say, are more suited for the forehand and are (still) being used in some countries as a T05 substitute, whereas the Vega Europe, I read, is mainly used on the backhand side (sponge is softer, about 45 on ESN-scale, and has more catapult than the Vega Pro (and probably the Baracuda, too)...
I don't have any experience with the other rubbers you mentioned.

A few links to reviews from far more experienced and better players:
Player in the clip about the Vega Pro is Lennart W. (~ No. 20 - 25 in Germany, Rating: about 2400 which translates to ~ 2700 USATT, I think; don't know how much that would be in India...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR0Os5-Bk-4

Written reviews on the Vega Pro and the Baracuda by TTD member tt89player (in German, so you need to google translate it, but it should still be useful...)

http://www.tt-spin.de/xiom-vega-pro/
http://www.tt-spin.de/donic-baracuda/

Slightly off-topic: tt89player seems to have almost completed his reviews on the about to be released XIOM Omega VII Pro and Europe! Should be very interesting again. If I had to guess, the reviews will be relesed within the next few days...

Last edited: